SportsWrath

Where we stand on cap money

BleedinBlue

From PFT:

While teams can employ up to 90 players during the offseason, the salary cap is calculated by using only the top 51 most expensive contracts on a roster. That changes for the regular season as all players on the active roster, practice squad and injured reserve count against the cap.

The NFL Players Association keeps a database of projected salary cap space for each team in the league. While the numbers from the NFLPA and the official numbers from the league routinely differ, it’s still a good gauge of where teams currently stand.

There is a difference of over $31 million in cap space from the team with the most cap space (Oakland Raiders) to the team with the least cap space (New Orleans). The current numbers available are accurate as 6:30 p.m ET. However, they will not include the contracts agreed upon this afternoon, such as Donald Penn’s deal with the Raiders or Henry Melton’s contract with the Dallas Cowboys.

Team-by-team salary cap space:

Oakland Raiders: $32,299,198
Cleveland Browns: $31,828,788
New York Jets: $27,899,282
Cincinnati Bengals: $26,607,666
Jacksonville Jaguars: $25,239,764
Miami Dolphins: $19,185,752
Tampa Bay Buccaneers: $17,558,206
Green Bay Packers: $17,024,449
Indianapolis Colts: $16,730,795
Philadelphia Eagles: $16,203,629
Buffalo Bills: $15,590,046
Minnesota Vikings: $15,489,099
Seattle Seahawks: $15,213,737
Atlanta Falcons: $10,194,447
Houston Texans: $9,469,501
Tennessee Titans: $9,100,702
Baltimore Ravens: $9,061,187
St. Louis Rams: $8,999,358
New England Patriots: $8,804,036
Arizona Cardinals: $8,137,968
Denver Broncos: $7,642,337
Washington Redskins: $7,455,869
Carolina Panthers: $7,344,546
Dallas Cowboys: $7,162,442
Chicago Bears: $5,773,177
Kansas City Chiefs: $5,227,069
San Francisco 49ers: $3,726,835
New York Giants: $3,690,088
San Diego Chargers: $3,653,247
Detroit Lions: $2,204,330
Pittsburgh Steelers: $2,174,434
New Orleans Saints: $849,212

------------------------------------------------

A few thoughts:

Amazing to me that the Jets could not find a way to get DRC considering all their extra money. It couldn't have been about the money for DRC to pick the Giants. Hopefully, he will be inspired to play like the pro bowler he once was now that he's on a team he wants to be on.

Hard to believe Oakland has so much cap space considering they overpay for players past their prime as if they want to be the nursing home of the NFL.

that has to be after DRC signed, right?

"The current numbers available are accurate as 6:30 p.m ET. However, they will not include the contracts agreed upon this afternoon, such as Donald Penn’s deal with the Raiders or Henry Melton’s contract with the Dallas Cowboys."

--Copied from the original post...I'd assume yes it would include DRC given his deal is signed and official, whereas Melton's was seemingly announced, but just not yet signed and official.

"The current numbers available are accurate as 6:30 p.m ET. However, they will not include the contracts agreed upon this afternoon, such as Donald Penn’s deal with the Raiders or Henry Melton’s contract with the Dallas Cowboys."

--Copied from the original post...I'd assume yes it would include DRC given his deal is signed and official, whereas Melton's was seemingly announced, but just not yet signed and official.

ha, yeah, but 6:30 pm on what day?

but nevermind, the Penn deal just happened yesterday, so DRC must be included too. Thanks.

It also doesn't include the space from Baas being cut.

Correct, but I've read the Giants plan to use that space to sign their draft picks....meaning we could likely spend down to 0 the current balance whereas other teams without June 1st cuts have to reserve some space for draft pick signings.

I've been reading that too. My question about the situation is, what are we going to do with Rolle? Clearly he's the leader on the D now, but I haven't heard anything about his contract situation.

I've been reading that too. My question about the situation is, what are we going to do with Rolle? Clearly he's the leader on the D now, but I haven't heard anything about his contract situation.

His cap hit this, the final year of his contract, is something like 9.2 million (7.2 salary/2.0 portion of salary cap...only way to lessen that is to extend him or cut him.

Given he's 30+, Giants don't appear keen on extending him or committing additional $$ to him in future years. And given he's a defensive leader in a year where Tuck's leaving created a void in leadership, it doesn't appear as if a cut is likely either.

It seems Rolle might just ride out his contract next season and the Giants will address it at that point, probably letting him walk given the depth behind him.