SportsWrath

Carlos Emmons

Money

I do not understand why so many fans are calling for Emmons's head. Let's review why he should stay:

- At worst, he is the third best LB on the team. As much as I like Torbor, he has not proved himself to be as consistent and versatile as Emmons. Let's what until Wilkinson steps on the field before deciding if he can contribute this year, let alone demonstrate superior ability to an 11-year veteran.

- If the team intended on releasing him, he would be gone by now. When Emmons was injured last year, the team decided to place him on IR instead of risking further injury, despite his insistence on playing. The Giants would not have IR'ed him if they did not care about his future in football.

- With Arrington pencilled is as the starting SAM, Emmons is the only LB on the roster (aside from Pierce) with pro experience starting on the weakside. For Emmons to be cut, at least two WLBs will have to clearly outplay him during the preseason.

- After a year in which the Giants LB core was decimated by injuries, you would think that the Giants would collect and retain as many able-bodied, competant LBs as they possibly can.

I do not understand why so many fans are calling for Emmons's head. Let's review why he should stay:

- At worst, he is the third best LB on the team. As much as I like Torbor, he has not proved himself to be as consistent and versatile as Emmons. Let's what until Wilkinson steps on the field before deciding if he can contribute this year, let alone demonstrate superior ability to an 11-year veteran.

- If the team intended on releasing him, he would be gone by now. When Emmons was injured last year, the team decided to place him on IR instead of risking further injury, despite his insistence on playing. The Giants would not have IR'ed him if they did not care about his future in football.

- With Arrington pencilled is as the starting SAM, Emmons is the only LB on the roster (aside from Pierce) with pro experience starting on the weakside. For Emmons to be cut, at least two WLBs will have to clearly outplay him during the preseason.

- After a year in which the Giants LB core was decimated by injuries, you would think that the Giants would collect and retain as many able-bodied, competant LBs as they possibly can.

He's competent...but his body being able is the question. If he's healthy, then sure you could say he's the third best linebacker on the team.

I don't think he's going anywhere either.

Emmons was the WLB when Green was deemed unusable ane deffered to 2nd year player Reggie Torbor. Having him play WLB with Pierce and Arrington is better than where they were 10 months ago.

Emmons stays and probably becomes a 2 down player, thus preserving his body at 33.

Guest Floyd The Barber

during his NYG career, when he did play, i never saw him make a play at or behind the LOS...it was either up field, or he was dangling off a runner being pulled for additional yardage...

simply, he sucks...

Guest Lockhart

Emmons is gonna remain - the Giants are hoping that between Emmons and Arrington they can get 1 complete season - neither can complete a 16 games schedule.

I completely agree, except the only thing that is puzzling is why Arrington will be playing the SAM. From what we've all seen, or at least from my point of view, Emmons clearly plays better over the tight end, and one of his biggest strengths I think is jamming the tight end, and getting him off his route. But Emmons just doesn't seem suited to play the WILL, and even though he's able to play that position in a pinch, they're not lacking depth anymore.

Guest Floyd The Barber

if Emmons becomes a training camp casuality nobody will miss his signature hang onto the runner and get dragged for YAC...

who wants his head?

It struck me as strange that he was willing to play in the playoff game but TC said no.

I agree about why he would stay. Blackburn also has experience as a WLB, but I sure as hell would not want him in there. I wonder if the Giants would carry 7 LB's because if they would carry 6 then Blackburn would be in trouble.

Guest Floyd The Barber
Please tell me how on a hand off you have Yards After Catch? :doh:

i know its a proven fact that U. of M. alum have difficuluties thinking outside the box...but maybe YAC also means Yards After Contact...

I completely agree, except the only thing that is puzzling is why Arrington will be playing the SAM. From what we've all seen, or at least from my point of view, Emmons clearly plays better over the tight end, and one of his biggest strengths I think is jamming the tight end, and getting him off his route. But Emmons just doesn't seem suited to play the WILL, and even though he's able to play that position in a pinch, they're not lacking depth anymore.

I'll leave the scheming to the coaches, but from what I understand their defensive schemedeviates a lot from a traditional 4-3...

Money I honestly feel Emmons is replaceable.

Im not saying the team is "intending" to release him but I think he can lose his roster spot this offseason and honestly I wouldnt care at all. He is not the player he once was, he hasnt even shown a glimpse of that player. Besides the little injuries he suffers here and there he continues to have trouble with his leg and now is trying to recover from a torn pec. Even then Emmons made a name for himself covering TEs and WLBs are rarely ever asked to cover.

Last year we tried Emmons at WLB to start the season. During the Arizona game and the Saints game we looked very good vs the run even though they happen to be two of the worst rushing offenses last season. Week 3 San Diego. Im not going to remind you of that game, none of us should be reminded of that game or the sight of our players including Emmons making tackles 10 yards down the field. That was the last time Emmons played WLB. Griesen replaced him the following week against the Rams and Griesen wouldnt let Emmons get the spot back. Instead Torbor and Emmons would split playing time the rest of the season at SLB, while both players were battling injuries.

We also placed Green and Williams on the IR even with their insistence to play and they are now no longer with us. I dont think placing Emmons on IR a week before the playoffs had much to do with wanting to protect Emmons. Especially since Emmons said he should be good to go in a few weeks, instead the Giants IR'ed him and signed a street FA to take his place with the playoffs in sight. To me that showed the importance Emmons had on our defense in itself.

I think people are expecting Emmons to be the player he once was but mostly they are expecting him to be the player he was at SLB. By moving Emmons to the weakside we are taking away his greatest assest and thats his ability to cover TEs and defend the pass. To me that was the most questionable move. Emmons is not a playmaker and at WLB you want someone who will make plays. It does seem almost like we are setting him up to eventually be replaced whether its this year or next. Wilkinson brings us great versatility and how fast he develops in training camp could determine if Emmons is replaced this season. I dont think it will take much for Wilkinson to replace Emmons in the starting lineup at WLB. Ya know if the Seahawks could have two rookie backers starting we should be able to get by with one. Coughlin also mentioned Short as a possible option at WLB and Marcus Lawerence could be good depth. Maybe it helps that im high on Short as a player and since EA recently stated our WLB spot is much like a MLB. Short played very well in the Middle at PSU. Im not bankin on that or anything just saying... :) But mainly Emmons isnt a lock because we do have options.

Ya know its hard to explain Emmons being replaced because its mainly based on how you personally feel about him as a player. I think he is very replaceable with the players we currently have on roster. When I first said that I didnt think many people would agree but now alls I see is "Emmons is a goner", so obviously I wasnt the only one feeling that way about him.

Pizan, who are two guys who are going to replace Emmons at WLB? I'll give you Wilkinson, even though history suggests that the odds are against him being ready to start by the start of the regular season. Brandon Short? Chase Blackburn? Marcus Lawrence? Please.

Also, let's not place the San Diego game on Emmons's shoulders. Nobody on the defense showed up for that game, and Torbor was benched in the 2nd quarter in favor of Greisen. Emmons got hurt in practice the following week and missed the St. Louis game, so Greisen started at WILL and Torbor at SAM. Emmons came back and started the next 2 games at SAM (Dallas, Denver), then got hurt and missed the following 3 games (Washington, SF, Minnesota). When he returned, he did not split time with Torbor, nor was he "replaced" by Greisen ... Greisen established himself as a worthy starter, and it made more sense for Emmons to play SAM (since it is his best position).

You mention Barrett Green and Shaun Williams, who also ended the year on IR. Both are gone, yet Emmons is still here. What about Greisen? The Giants cut have cut Emmons (saving $1.00 million) and re-signed Greisen. Instead they elected to keep Emmons and let Greisen walk. It's pretty evident that the team considers Emmons to be a better asset than Green and Greisen, which is why he is still here.

Pizan, who are two guys who are going to replace Emmons at WLB? I'll give you Wilkinson, even though history suggests that the odds are against him being ready to start by the start of the regular season. Brandon Short? Chase Blackburn? Marcus Lawrence? Please.

Money, you definitely think to highly of Emmons. Why are you not including Arrington?

Also, let's not place the San Diego game on Emmons's shoulders. Nobody on the defense showed up for that game, and Torbor was benched in the 2nd quarter in favor of Greisen. Emmons got hurt in practice the following week and missed the St. Louis game, so Greisen started at WILL and Torbor at SAM. Emmons came back and started the next 2 games at SAM (Dallas, Denver), then got hurt and missed the following 3 games (Washington, SF, Minnesota). When he returned, he did not split time with Torbor, nor was he "replaced" by Greisen ... Greisen established himself as a worthy starter, and it made more sense for Emmons to play SAM (since it is his best position).

Im not trying to place the lose on his shoulders thats why I said the other players. Yea Torbor was benched, Griesen came in at WLB and Emmons moved to SLB but that wasnt the end of Torbor. Torbor came in again and recorded a few tackles.

You mention Barrett Green and Shaun Williams, who also ended the year on IR. Both are gone, yet Emmons is still here. What about Greisen? The Giants cut have cut Emmons (saving $1.00 million) and re-signed Greisen. Instead they elected to keep Emmons and let Greisen walk. It's pretty evident that the team considers Emmons to be a better asset than Green and Greisen, which is why he is still here.

Im not saying Emmons isnt a better asset then Green and Williams, my point was there is no connection with IRing a player to save him for next season or whatever you meant by saying that. The fact is we IR'd Emmons with in a week or so of the playoffs. Even if he couldnt make the Raiders game or the playoff game vs the Panthers he would have made the next pending a victory.

Money, you definitely think to highly of Emmons. Why are you not including Arrington?

Coughlin specified that Arrington and Torbor will each play SAM in this defense, while Emmons, Wilkinson, and Short will play WILL:

We’d like to take Wilkinson and stick him on the weakside. Brandon Short has played on the line of scrimmage as the strong backer and in the bubble. We will probably start him out weak but know that he can play on both sides. (Carlos) Emmons will play on the weakside. Then on the other side it will be (LaVar) Arrington and (Reggie) Torbor. They will line up strong. In the middle you’ve got (Antonio) Pierce and Chase (Blackburn). Probably Marcus Lawrence in the middle, he has experience on both sides. Ty Smith is doing very well in NFL Europe. He may come back and be one of the two outside backers as well. He might end up on the strong side, I don’t know yet. He has done a good job over there and a good job on special teams. So I’m kind of looking forward to having him back. But the weakside will lineup Emmons, Short, Wilkinson.

Coughlin 4/30/06 Interview

Im not saying Emmons isnt a better asset then Green and Williams, my point was there is no connection with IRing a player to save him for next season or whatever you meant by saying that. The fact is we IR'd Emmons with in a week or so of the playoffs. Even if he couldnt make the Raiders game or the playoff game vs the Panthers he would have made the next pending a victory.

As I recall, Emmons was not allowed to play because the team did not want to risk further injury. Why would the team care about risking further injury if they didn't envision Emmons as a Giant in 2006? If they did not consider him to have a future with the team, they would have succumbed to his wishes and let him play.

Coughlin specified that Arrington and Torbor will each play SAM in this defense, while Emmons, Wilkinson, and Short will play WILL:

We’d like to take Wilkinson and stick him on the weakside. Brandon Short has played on the line of scrimmage as the strong backer and in the bubble. We will probably start him out weak but know that he can play on both sides. (Carlos) Emmons will play on the weakside. Then on the other side it will be (LaVar) Arrington and (Reggie) Torbor. They will line up strong. In the middle you’ve got (Antonio) Pierce and Chase (Blackburn). Probably Marcus Lawrence in the middle, he has experience on both sides. Ty Smith is doing very well in NFL Europe. He may come back and be one of the two outside backers as well. He might end up on the strong side, I don’t know yet. He has done a good job over there and a good job on special teams. So I’m kind of looking forward to having him back. But the weakside will lineup Emmons, Short, Wilkinson.

Coughlin 4/30/06 Interview

I know, I read that and thats not what I meant. You asked for two weakside backers right? With Arringtons ability to play WLB that gives you 2 backers who are easily capable of playing on the weakside. Short makes it 3.

Maybe its better if you look at it like this. Arrington upgrades Emmons on the strong side and Wilkinson or even Short upgrade Green and Griesen on the weakside. Also with those backers we still have great versatility and experience. Like I said Emmons is a very replaceable player. You're gonna have to do better then listing just his versatility and NFL experience to convince me he is the best option for this team at WLB.

As I recall, Emmons was not allowed to play because the team did not want to risk further injury. Why would the team care about risking further injury if they didn't envision Emmons as a Giant in 2006? If they did not consider him to have a future with the team, they would have succumbed to his wishes and let him play.

Money you're talking about an injury before we even think about replacing him, way before the offseason. The same thing you said for Emmons could be said for Green and Williams. At that time his health would obviously be a concern but at that time, the medical staff ruled him out of the Oakland game and said they didnt think he could make the 1st playoff game. Im saying it was possible for us to have Emmons for the rest playoffs if we beat the Panthers. Instead they IR'ed him and Emmons was pissed, Hell he even went public about it because he knew there was a possiblity of him returning for the playoffs.

I know, I read that and thats not what I meant. You asked for two weakside backers right? With Arringtons ability to play WLB that gives you 2 backers who are easily capable of playing on the weakside. Short makes it 3.

Maybe its better if you look at it like this. Arrington upgrades Emmons on the strong side and Wilkinson or even Short upgrade Green and Griesen on the weakside. Also with those backers we still have great versatility and experience. Like I said Emmons is a very replaceable player. You're gonna have to do better then listing just his versatility and NFL experience to convince me he is the best option for this team at WLB.

Money you're talking about an injury before we even think about replacing him, way before the offseason. The same thing you said for Emmons could be said for Green and Williams. At that time his health would obviously be a concern but at that time, the medical staff ruled him out of the Oakland game and said they didnt think he could make the 1st playoff game. Im saying it was possible for us to have Emmons for the rest playoffs if we beat the Panthers. Instead they IR'ed him and Emmons was pissed, Hell he even went public about it because he knew there was a possiblity of him returning for the playoffs.

Arrington being able to play on the weakside is irrelevant. Because if you move him to the weakside, then who are our SLBs? Torbor and who else? Besides, how do we even know Arrington will be able to play WLB if the team has pencilled him at SAM? He had a hard enough time learning one position in Washington, and now we're expecting him to master two positions.

It boils down to this. The Giants are keeping a minimum of 6 LBs. If you can list 6 LBs on this roster that are better Emmons, I'll be shocked. If you can list 2 guys (besides Pierce and Arrington, who will obviously be playing elsewhere) that will be better WLBs than Emmons in 2006, I'd be equally shocked. You can't possibly think that Wilkinson (a rookie and non-commodity until proven otherwise) and Short (needs no introduction) are better.

It wasn't possible for Emmons's health to improve. He tore his pectoral, an injury that doesn't heal within a couple of weeks. There was no chance he would be available for the playoffs. The biggest risk of keeping him active was the potential of further injury. Since that was a consideration, it's evident the team envisioned him as a Giant in 2006. Green and Williams were IR'ed under different circumstances.

The bottom line is, if Emmons is replaceable, why hasn't he been replaced?

Arrington being able to play on the weakside is irrelevant. Because if you move him to the weakside, then who are our SLBs? Torbor and who else? Besides, how do we even know Arrington will be able to play WLB if the team has pencilled him at SAM? He had a hard enough time learning one position in Washington, and now we're expecting him to master two positions.

Do you remember the start of last season? Emmons never played WLB in the 4-3 defense before, but they wanted to move him there to make room for Torbor on the strong side. Arrington has played WLB for the majority of his career thats how I know he can play WLB for us now. Im saying if Wilkinson cant hack it out at WLB Arrington can play it, and Torbor can start at SLB. Bro, Wilkinson and Short can back up both positions thats the versatility I was talking about. And please you have to tell me why you are so high on Emmons as a WLB... let me in on the secret. His entire career in the 4-3 defense has been at SLB. What makes you think Emmons is far superrior to the other WLBs we have on roster when we didnt even offer a contract to the guy who pretty much stole the starting WLB spot last year from Emmons. My point in mentioning Arringtons versatility is to prove we arent screwed if Emmons is released or beatin out of a roster spot in camp. Like I said before you are gonna have to do better then listing his versatility and his NFL experience in order to convince me or the rest of us that Emmons is the best option at WLB without even going into camp.

It boils down to this. The Giants are keeping a minimum of 6 LBs. If you can list 6 LBs on this roster that are better Emmons, I'll be shocked. If you can list 2 guys (besides Pierce and Arrington, who will obviously be playing elsewhere) that will be better WLBs than Emmons in 2006, I'd be equally shocked. You can't possibly think that Wilkinson (a rookie and non-commodity until proven otherwise) and Short (needs no introduction) are better.

Again why are you so high on Emmons as a WLB? I dont understand this. Why are you ruling out Wilkinson just becuase he is a rookie? You would think watching the Seahawks this past season or even the Chargers or any team, LBs can make an impact early on. You dont have to answer those questions my point is both are equally unproven as a WLB.

It wasn't possible for Emmons's health to improve. He tore his pectoral, an injury that doesn't heal within a couple of weeks. There was no chance he would be available for the playoffs. The biggest risk of keeping him active was the potential of further injury. Since that was a consideration, it's evident the team envisioned him as a Giant in 2006. Green and Williams were IR'ed under different circumstances.

They labled it as a partial tear. You're right the injury doesnt heal in a couple weeks, but he injuried it before the first Redskins game. He missed that game, the 49ers game and the Vikings game. He played the following weeks while reinjurying it, he missed the KC game, the Redskin game, and the Raiders game. Emmons believed he could have been back for the 1st playoff game thats why he went public about with his emtions. The Medical staff wasnt sure of his return. The Giants IR'ed him when worst case scenario could have been the conference championships or the superbowl.

The bottom line is, if Emmons is replaceable, why hasn't he been replaced?

You'll have to show me where it says vetern LBs cant be released at the end of training camp.

Do you remember the start of last season? Emmons never played WLB in the 4-3 defense before, but they wanted to move him there to make room for Torbor on the strong side. Arrington has played WLB for the majority of his career thats how I know he can play WLB for us now. Im saying if Wilkinson cant hack it out at WLB Arrington can play it, and Torbor can start at SLB. Bro, Wilkinson and Short can back up both positions thats the versatility I was talking about. And please you have to tell me why you are so high on Emmons as a WLB... let me in on the secret. His entire career in the 4-3 defense has been at SLB. What makes you think Emmons is far superrior to the other WLBs we have on roster when we didnt even offer a contract to the guy who pretty much stole the starting WLB spot last year from Emmons. My point in mentioning Arringtons versatility is to prove we arent screwed if Emmons is released or beatin out of a roster spot in camp. Like I said before you are gonna have to do better then listing his versatility and his NFL experience in order to convince me or the rest of us that Emmons is the best option at WLB without even going into camp.

Aside from Arrington and Piece, Emmons is a.) our best LB, and b.) the best option at WILL. You seem to interprit that as high praise, but I'm not attempting to elevate Emmons. There's difference in contending that he is a Pro Bowl-caliber WILL and best WILL on the team (again, aside from AP and LaVar). Clearly, my point is predicated on the latter ... with Pierce and Arrington set to start and MIKE and SAM, Emmons is out best option at WILL.

Again why are you so high on Emmons as a WLB? I dont understand this. Why are you ruling out Wilkinson just becuase he is a rookie? You would think watching the Seahawks this past season or even the Chargers or any team, LBs can make an impact early on. You dont have to answer those questions my point is both are equally unproven as a WLB.

The Seahawks succeeding with two rookie LBs is not the norm. Just playing the percentages, it's safer to assume that Wilkinson won't be ready to start at any position by September 10.

They labled it as a partial tear. You're right the injury doesnt heal in a couple weeks, but he injuried it before the first Redskins game. He missed that game, the 49ers game and the Vikings game. He played the following weeks while reinjurying it, he missed the KC game, the Redskin game, and the Raiders game. Emmons believed he could have been back for the 1st playoff game thats why he went public about with his emtions. The Medical staff wasnt sure of his return. The Giants IR'ed him when worst case scenario could have been the conference championships or the superbowl.

I don't agree that was the Giant's rationale. They IR'ed him because his condition was not improving and it could only get worse. If they conceded to Emmons's insistence and let him play, he could have incurred further damage to his pectoral.

You'll have to show me where it says vetern LBs cant be released at the end of training camp.

I'm not discounting that as a possibility. My point is that for that to happen ... Emmons fails to make the final roster ... at least 6 LBs will have to outplay him in training camp and preseason. Do you see that happening?

Aside from Arrington and Piece, Emmons is a.) our best LB, and b.) the best option at WILL. You seem to interprit that as high praise, but I'm not attempting to elevate Emmons. There's difference in contending that he is a Pro Bowl-caliber WILL and best WILL on the team (again, aside from AP and LaVar). Clearly, my point is predicated on the latter ... with Pierce and Arrington set to start and MIKE and SAM, Emmons is out best option at WILL.

Im not saying you have him as a pro bowl calibur WLB, my problem was with you saying he is the best WLB on the team when there is nothing to back that up. We know very little of Emmons as a WLB. One of the reasons I think less of him then you do is because of the way that all played out last year. When Emmons returned after missing just one game in the beggining of the year, Griesen held the WLB spot from him for the remainder of the season. Emmons could not get it back from a guy who we didnt even try to resign. Instead they decided to split his time with Torbor.

The Seahawks succeeding with two rookie LBs is not the norm. Just playing the percentages, it's safer to assume that Wilkinson won't be ready to start at any position by September 10.

Im not trying to bank on the Seahawks success, but plenty of teams have done just fine with rookie(s) starting on D. I honestly dont think 1 rookie starting at WLB would make a difference, especially since Emmons is the other option.

I don't agree that was the Giant's rationale. They IR'ed him because his condition was not improving and it could only get worse. If they conceded to Emmons's insistence and let him play, he could have incurred further damage to his pectoral.

Im not saying you're wrong because we both dont really know. I feel since the medical staff only ruled him out for the Raiders game and was uncertain but said he was doubtful for the 1st playoff game. To me that meant there was a possiblility for him to be back after that first playoff game if we would have won.

I'm not discounting that as a possibility. My point is that for that to happen ... Emmons fails to make the final roster ... at least 6 LBs will have to outplay him in training camp and preseason. Do you see that happening?

1. Pierce

2. Arrington

3. Torbor

4. Wilkinson

5. Short

6. Blackburn

Yea I can see that happening becuase I dont have Emmons rated high as a WLB and obviously if Arrington and Torbor are at SLB there is no need for him over there. Not only does his effectiveness at WLB worries me, his durability also worries me. If he cant stay healthy then he isnt dependable and to be quite honest I want LBs we can count on. If its Short or Emmons, give me Short for that simple reason.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, thats probably the first time I ever had to say that to you for as long as I can remember. I mean you and me have always pretty much agreed on everything. But we'll have to wait and see how this all turns out. We both want the best players on the team so let them battle it out in training camp. I dont think Emmons is a lock and you seem to, so we'll leave it at that. But I'll tell you what bruh, if Emmons is shown the door Im going to be walking around here with my chest out, strutting my shit thats for damn sure.

Good talk, Later Money.