SportsWrath

My Little Leaguers

mickeef2

I didn't coach them last year, by the way. ;)

We tied tonight, 6-6. Kinda blows, a tie, but when you consider the fact that we were down 5-zip, it was an accomplishment. Junior hung in there- gave up 3 runs in the first (a couple of nervousness-related walks and some sloppy D), but settled down for the most part the rest of the way, striking out the side in the 6th (he's 1-0-1 on the year, two complete games). Freakin' dad from the other team was umping the bases, and allowed a kid of their's to takeoff waaaaaay early and steal 2nd & 3rd, leading to their 6th run, but we tied it up after that.

We play the team that wins it all every year on Wed., but I'm pitching a kid who's never pitched before, so I'm basically conceding the game. Of course, I think we have a pretty good chance regardless. :rock:

I feel like shit...the only time I played in a leauge was when I was twelve.

I didn't win a game either.

Since I'm 19 there's nowhere I can play. I'm not playing softball...softball is for girls.

How old are your players?

I feel like shit...the only time I played in a leauge was when I was twelve.

I didn't win a game either.

Since I'm 19 there's nowhere I can play. I'm not playing softball...softball is for girls.

How old are your players?

9-12 year-olds. It's the "Little League" level (as opposed to "Minors" (younger) or "Junior League" (older)). I totally didn't want to do this, but now I'm into it. Nice feeling when you see your team execute the things you work on in practice. Some of the other coaches are toolboxes, too, so it's kinda fun to ruin their day. :TU:

Yeah, I'm regretting quitting baseball a few years ago. I came off my breakout year winning MVP and having a sick .700 average. Most of that came off of weak grounders rolling down the third base line and me beating it out but I'd take it any way it came!

But that was the time where I didn't know anything about baseball. To take on 3-0, to look fastball on 2-0 and 3-1, to protect the plate down 0-2, etc. And I was a great first basemen back in the day too ;)

Yeah, I'm regretting quitting baseball a few years ago. I came off my breakout year winning MVP and having a sick .700 average. Most of that came off of weak grounders rolling down the third base line and me beating it out but I'd take it any way it came!

But that was the time where I didn't know anything about baseball. To take on 3-0, to look fastball on 2-0 and 3-1, to protect the plate down 0-2, etc. And I was a great first basemen back in the day too ;)

Yea i regret it too, sort of. I tore my rotator cuff a little playin football and it still gives me pain. I made it worse by trying to throw home from second base the next day.

Yea

I was a bad hitter, but i got better later on in the yyear. But i made my towns all star team cause i was the best second baseman and got robbed of my fuckin first ever homerun :furious: Yea but made this sweet diving play :TU:

I remember my MVP year i had like 9 homers, pitched everyother game and had a virtually perfect game every day...my BA was low though but i did manage to have hit for 2 cycles....

I remember my MVP year i had like 9 homers, pitched everyother game and had a virtually perfect game every day...my BA was low though but i did manage to have hit for 2 cycles....

Man was I the opposite. I predominantly had 70% cheap hits when I played. But later in the year in the playoffs specifically, my average sucked but I was hitting balls right on the button. So maybe if I placed them better and continued to gain power I could've gotten even better my next season...

Man was I the opposite. I predominantly had 70% cheap hits when I played. But later in the year in the playoffs specifically, my average sucked but I was hitting balls right on the button. So maybe if I placed them better and continued to gain power I could've gotten even better my next season...

I took my next year off and completely lost my swing....my BA the year aftyer my MVp year was like barely 200 with only 1 homer in like 20 games :(

• 2 weeks later...
I remember my days back at the hot corner....I was a pretty shitty hitter though, but I made up for it on the mound and in the field. I had a few nice pitches.

when i wasnt pitching i was out in RF i dont think anyone scored on me :P man i remember back in the old days when i was good in baseball now im just a football player!

• 2 weeks later...
I didn't coach them last year, by the way. ;)

We tied tonight, 6-6. Kinda blows, a tie, but when you consider the fact that we were down 5-zip, it was an accomplishment. Junior hung in there- gave up 3 runs in the first (a couple of nervousness-related walks and some sloppy D), but settled down for the most part the rest of the way, striking out the side in the 6th (he's 1-0-1 on the year, two complete games). Freakin' dad from the other team was umping the bases, and allowed a kid of their's to takeoff waaaaaay early and steal 2nd & 3rd, leading to their 6th run, but we tied it up after that.

We play the team that wins it all every year on Wed., but I'm pitching a kid who's never pitched before, so I'm basically conceding the game. Of course, I think we have a pretty good chance regardless. :rock:

This was posted May 6th. Where are the up dates?

This was posted May 6th. Where are the up dates?

:brooding: 3-4-1 as of right now. Actually, we've lost four out of five, but two of them were to an undefeated team that's by far the best in the league, and the other two were one-run games. We have four fairly easy games left, so I'm hoping we can finish above .500. If you don't hear from me again, we didn't. :)

9-12 year-olds. It's the "Little League" level (as opposed to "Minors" (younger) or "Junior League" (older)). I totally didn't want to do this, but now I'm into it. Nice feeling when you see your team execute the things you work on in practice. Some of the other coaches are toolboxes, too, so it's kinda fun to ruin their day. :TU:

whats ridiculous was when i was a junior in high school, i asked a guy to ask some of the coaches in the little league i used to play in if they would allow me to just help out their teams. And every single coach said that they were all set. I could tell it was kinda hard for the guy I asked to tell me that basically I cant help out, and to boot I was a success story of that little league. i played varsity baseball, not many kids from there continued on to do that.

I HATE JERK LITTLE LEAGUE COACHES.

just teach ur kids fundamentals and respect for the game.

whats ridiculous was when i was a junior in high school, i asked a guy to ask some of the coaches in the little league i used to play in if they would allow me to just help out their teams. And every single coach said that they were all set. I could tell it was kinda hard for the guy I asked to tell me that basically I cant help out, and to boot I was a success story of that little league. i played varsity baseball, not many kids from there continued on to do that.

I HATE JERK LITTLE LEAGUE COACHES.

just teach ur kids fundamentals and respect for the game.

Well, I am a jerk, and I am a coach, but I'd like to think I don't mix the two. I can see what you mean there, though, because the whole thing in my town is politics. One team has been the best team in the league forever, which I really don't understand because there's a draft and the talent is supposed to be distributed evenly. Many guys have told me they've volunteered to help coach their kid's team and they basically got the cold shoulder.

Anyway, I took over a team that was horrible last year because my son begged me. His coach last year sucked (never went over any fundamentals, no drills, nothing. Just scrimmaging against each other in practice without even correcting them on what they were doing wrong). Nobody wanted to do it, and even though I didn't want to get involved with these jagoffs (the other coaches), I volunteered. I also thought it would be kinda funny to teach these idiots a thing or two because I constantly saw coaches do retarded things last year (waving kids on to third base to eventually get thrown out when they were down by a run in the last inning, etc. :confused: ). Anyway, the guy who runs the league and manages the best team, who happens to be the most decent guy out of them all, asked me if I would help him coach all-stars because the other guys are all idiots. Should be fun coaching a bunch of kids who can actually comprehend what you're telling them (I've got some real winners on my team).

One other thing, Plow- your local league may have an unwritten policy against guys whose kids aren't on the team coaching. You probably gave them a weird vibe. :LMAO: j/k

mickeef, I respect you even more now that you are a little league coach.

225 Elite Status points for you.

The reason I have a new found respect for you is because when I was young, my father was never there for me. His excuse? "I am overseas."

You're a great man.

• 2 weeks later...

4-6-1 now, with a game today against a team we've beaten twice. Kinda disappointing, but I'm proud of the way my kids have played. They haven't been mercy-ruled yet, and have lost a lot of one-run games. Our biggest problem is we don't hit worth a shit.

5-6-1 with the 9-5 victory, and closing in on .500. :TU: My son's pitching line for today: 6 I , 1 H, 17 K, 12 BB, 5 R

That's right, struck out 17 and walked 12. Drives me freakin' crazy. Anyway, we go for .500 Tues. night.

5-6-1 with the 9-5 victory, and closing in on .500. :TU: My son's pitching line for today: 6 I , 1 H, 17 K, 12 BB, 5 R

That's right, struck out 17 and walked 12. Drives me freakin' crazy. Anyway, we go for .500 Tues. night.

lol i love little league lines. That means only one out was recorded in the field. He pitches a complete game 1 hitter, and gives up 5 runs.

Typical power pitcher, high strikeouts and high walks. Only really high for him.

I wish you luck, my first american legion game is tuesday. I am throwing off the mound for the first time in a year at my next practice. I've been throwing batting practice lately.

lol i love little league lines. That means only one out was recorded in the field.

The best part is that he picked a guy off first for the one out recorded in the field. The bases were loaded and the kid on first I knew to be a total space cadet. Anyway, he's wandering way off first after every pitch, and looking down at the ground as he goes back to the bag, so I basically said, "Watch your runners" and nodded over to first. Runner and coach were oblivious. Next pitch, we nailed him, and his old man asks, "What the hell were you doing?" and the kid says, "Shut the hell up!" and starts crying. I love Little League.

6-6-1. Huuuuuuge victory tonight, 5-4, over the 2nd place team. League rules say you can't start an inning after 2 hours, and we were up 5-4 after the time limit, but being the sporting guy that I am ;) I agreed to keep playing because there was no game after ours. So they get a runner to third with nobody out in the top of the 6th and I'm regretting it, but my pitcher came up huge and eventually struck out the last hitter with the bases loaded. Sweeeeeet.

• 2 weeks later...

6-7-1 with one game left to play, against the first place team (they're 12-1). We haven't played a game in a week and a half now with all the rain. Some teams have only played 11 games so far. Anyway, Junior gets the starting nod for his final regular season Little League game ever on Wed. Then we start All-Stars.