SportsWrath

Officiating last night

Treehugger

Two plays had me absolutely puzzled:

1) The reviewed catch by Pascoe. I think it was 11 minutes to go in the 3rd. This was ruled a catch and a first down on the field, the ball is spotted, everyone lines up and THEN the Back Judge picks up the ball and the booth reviews the play. No one challenged the play and I don't think I've ever seen the Refs do that after they've made a call without a challenge flag being thrown, unless it was inside 2 minutes. It was a freebee challenge to Chicago.

2) The "no foul for pass interference" flag pick up on our senond last drive. This was complete horseshit. Eli threw the ball out of bounds and it wasn't catchable, so I'm okay with there being no PI call, however, the defender grabbed Nicks' jersey with two hands and flung him over the sideline. That's not just potential PI, that's clearly HOLDING, and it shouldn't matter if the ball was catchable or not for that call. We should have had a 1st down, and might have gone on to score. Just horseshit.

Refs can review a catch on their own if it is deemed necessary. I was amazed that Nicks was thrown like a ragdoll and there was no penalty called for a pass that was deemed uncatchable. The rules are the rules and I won't use them as an excuse for a win or a loss.

Refs can review a catch on their own if it is deemed necessary. I was amazed that Nicks was thrown like a ragdoll and there was no penalty called for a pass that was deemed uncatchable. The rules are the rules and I won't use them as an excuse for a win or a loss.

I'm not using anything as an excuse; I'm genuinely puzzled by the calls made.

That isn't even close to the point. Clearly the ball touched the ground. The call does not get challenged and overruled without a process, however. That's protocol. Every single other instance I have ever seen in the NFL, the team that got screwed out of the call originally had to CHALLENGE the fact that the official missed it the first time. That's the way instant replay works. You don't call it a catch on the field on one hand then move the ball back with no explanation, and worse, no challenge by the other team. That's not fair to the 31 other NFL teams that have to challenge clear screw-ups by the officials.

It was very awkward all the way around. Maybe the conference wasn't shown on TV but the ball was moved back with no explanation. This isn't the first time though that an odd no call has gone against the Giants.

It was very awkward all the way around. Maybe the conference wasn't shown on TV but the ball was moved back with no explanation. This isn't the first time though that an odd no call has gone against the Giants.

It could be the refs are still mad at the Giants ownership for their stance on the contract issues which ultimately lead to the strike.