SportsWrath

Replacing JPP (at least temporarily)

BleedinBlue

According to NFL.com...recovery time for JPP will be 12-14 weeks. However, that doesn't mean he'll be ready to suit up and he probably won't be in condition to be competitive until later in the season.

So...what do we do in the meantime? Here's a plan from BBV

From BBV:

With Jason Pierre-Paul undergoing back surgery today to alleviate an issue that multiple reports have indicated plagued him during the 2012 season could the New York Giants dip into the free-agent market for help at defensive end?

If they were to do that the name that leaps to mind is John Abraham, the 35-year-old four-time Pro Bowler who remains on the market despite having racked up 10 quarterback sacks for the Atlanta Falcons in 2012. The Giants could also turn to old friend Dave Tollefson, a free agent after registering just a half-sack for the Oakland Raiders in 2012. Tollefson spent five seasons with the Giants prior to signing with the Raiders as a free agent and had a career-best five sacks in 2011.

The Giants, of course, could also opt to do nothing. The New York Post reported that "A source with knowledge of the procedure told The Post 'the hope is he will be ready before the season starts. ' '' That would be Sept. 8 against the Dallas Cowboys. The team is expected to release a statement later today once surgery is completed. At that time, the team will hopefully have a clearer indication of when Pierre-Paul can realistically be expected to return to action.

Without Pierre-Paul for the time being, and if no roster moves are made, it seems the Giants would go with Justin Tuck and Mathias Kiwanuka as their starting defensive ends. Adrian Tracy would likely be first in line among the reserves, with third-round pick Damontre Moore, Adewale Ojomo, Justin Trattou and Matt Broha.

If we could Abraham on the cheap...he'd be a good stop-gap until JPP is 100%

Or maybe we could make use of the 23 defensive ends we draft every year specifically for "situations like this."

My bet is that is what we'll do. But we may suffer as Tuck (who has lost a step) and Kiwi (has never taken on a full time role as DE) on the ends getting spelled by Moore and ? (Adrian Tracy - drafted as a LB with the hopes of converting him to DE or a hybrid).

Tracy has 1 sack in 3-years and has been waived by us, resigned, and designated to the practice squad. He hasn't made a name for himself to step in as the first DE off the bench.

Tis true we draft a lot of DE's, but with Osi gone, Tuck (not sure what's happened to him), JPP going through back surgery, and Kiwi who has played a whole lot of linebacker....we are suddenly short of 4 solid DE's to start the season....and I'm not sure Moore is ready to step right in at the NFL level.

I suspect JPP won't suit up until December and if he does, will be playing at about 70%. I think it's a bit of a problem and wouldn't mind either Abraham or Tolly for the short term.

Maybe its time to see what Jomo can do...He was extremely raw but maybe he has been refined some.

Do you mean Adewale Ojomo, or Joemorrisforprez?

We also have Matt Broha who I think had a few flashes last preseason too.

According to NFL.com...recovery time for JPP will be 12-14 weeks. However, that doesn't mean he'll be ready to suit up and he probably won't be in condition to be competitive until later in the season.

So...what do we do in the meantime? Here's a plan from BBV

From BBV:

With Jason Pierre-Paul undergoing back surgery today to alleviate an issue that multiple reports have indicated plagued him during the 2012 season could the New York Giants dip into the free-agent market for help at defensive end?

If they were to do that the name that leaps to mind is John Abraham, the 35-year-old four-time Pro Bowler who remains on the market despite having racked up 10 quarterback sacks for the Atlanta Falcons in 2012. The Giants could also turn to old friend Dave Tollefson, a free agent after registering just a half-sack for the Oakland Raiders in 2012. Tollefson spent five seasons with the Giants prior to signing with the Raiders as a free agent and had a career-best five sacks in 2011.

The Giants, of course, could also opt to do nothing. The New York Post reported that "A source with knowledge of the procedure told The Post 'the hope is he will be ready before the season starts. ' '' That would be Sept. 8 against the Dallas Cowboys. The team is expected to release a statement later today once surgery is completed. At that time, the team will hopefully have a clearer indication of when Pierre-Paul can realistically be expected to return to action.

Without Pierre-Paul for the time being, and if no roster moves are made, it seems the Giants would go with Justin Tuck and Mathias Kiwanuka as their starting defensive ends. Adrian Tracy would likely be first in line among the reserves, with third-round pick Damontre Moore, Adewale Ojomo, Justin Trattou and Matt Broha.

If we could Abraham on the cheap...he'd be a good stop-gap until JPP is 100%

I agree and there's no reason why Abraham shouldn't come fairly cheap

I agree and there's no reason why Abraham shouldn't come fairly cheap

Actually, there's a couple sites that claim the Giants are entertaining signing him. One even said the Giants were setting up a workout. Unfortunately, it's from sources that aren't right very often. Abraham would be a good pickup as a filler and occasional backup once JPP gets back to full form.

Actually, there's a couple sites that claim the Giants are entertaining signing him. One even said the Giants were setting up a workout. Unfortunately, it's from sources that aren't right very often. Abraham would be a good pickup as a filler and occasional backup once JPP gets back to full form.

I just can't rely on JPP being back early enough not to have another guy in there. It takes a while to get in football shape. Even when JPP gets back he won't be able to carry what we need him to do for a while. I think Abraham is a must. He's perfect for us. He became situational in ATL last year and is t an every down player

I just can't rely on JPP being back early enough not to have another guy in there. It takes a while to get in football shape. Even when JPP gets back he won't be able to carry what we need him to do for a while. I think Abraham is a must. He's perfect for us. He became situational in ATL last year and is t an every down player

I agree totally - at Abraham's age, he's got a solid year left in him and he would come cheap. I don't see how they can't go after him.

BTW - I see you're new here - welcome to the board! :cheers: :bounce: