SportsWrath

Giants Aaron Curry is ready to show he's an elite linebacker

Nas

There must be some vagueness in my post since you and Nas pointed out the need to get paid more. I am not implying that with short careers that an athlete should get more money. I am saying that an athlete should try for the maximum payday because the prime years of an athlete are short. Most will only get one big contract so they should absolutely make it count. The team makes money year in and year out while an athlete has a very narrow, life wise, window to make a great paycheck.

Also most athletes I think go broke because of failed businesses. It seems they always open car washes, restaurants or dealerships. Vick lost all his money in a car rental agency. He had no idea on the day to day running of his business and gave money blindly. Many people are lured into businesses thinking it's and easy way to make money.

The point is, they don't have to do any of that. If invested properly, even in a sluggish economy, they could potentially live on interest for the rest of their lives. If they have to get a 'real job' and earn 40-50K to supplement it, they're still better off than most in the country. It's really not rocket science. Buy a reasonable, but still fancier than the majority home instead of a compound complete with your own bowling alley and shit. Buy one daily driver and maybe one fancy, out on the town car. No need for 16 cars, 2 motorcycles, and a host of ATVs. If you want to help out family, do so, but put limits on it so folks don't become dependent. Again, it's really not all that difficult to save if you have $0 mortgage, $0 car payment, and you limit your other expenses to those of a 'normal' person.

I agree that they should earn as much as they can while in the league. That's only the smart thing to do.

I concur completely that if they lived within their means even a mediocre athlete would be well off for a long time. An average player making $1 million a year for 4 years is in a good position. After taxes and management fees let's say $2 million when retired from the league. Get a normal 9-5 job like us salary men and enjoy. Although most get bullshit degrees so their salary maybe more in the $30K range.

I'd like to add that most of us face paying interest say on a mortgage... not to mention the mortgage itself and for those who don't own (which is even worse) rent... and then a car payment. Any of those athletes can easily and with less than one year's pay own a nice house and a nice car and it's done with.... not having to pay rent/mortgage or car payment is more than halfway home to financial freedom.

Now the next thing that comes to mind is owning real estate properties which they don't have to manage... just have a management company deal with renting, collecting, renovating, evicting, taxes etc... buying 1 Apartment building that has say... 8 apartments and paying for it outright... you're easily collecting monthly income...

Then you can start your own business and/or invest in the stock market... open up and IRA account... and so on.

I'd like to add that most of us face paying interest say on a mortgage... not to mention the mortgage itself and for those who don't own (which is even worse) rent... and then a car payment. Any of those athletes can easily and with less than one year's pay own a nice house and a nice car and it's done with.... not having to pay rent/mortgage or car payment is more than halfway home to financial freedom.

Now the next thing that comes to mind is owning real estate properties which they don't have to manage... just have a management company deal with renting, collecting, renovating, evicting, taxes etc... buying 1 Apartment building that has say... 8 apartments and paying for it outright... you're easily collecting monthly income...

Then you can start your own business and/or invest in the stock market... open up and IRA account... and so on.

yup.. i'm working at a Management Company, Cooper Square. You should see the amount of rent an apartment in Manhattan charges... insane.... Then you have all the Lawyers and people to kick out dead beat tenants. GO after the money and so on..