SportsWrath

Curry will wear blue, he tweets, "Excited to be a Giant"

BleedinBlue

It's a depth move and the Giants seem to like these guys who HAVE to give 100% to keep their careers. Nothing motivates more than the threat of being labeled as 'done'. It's make or break it years for so many guys on our team. It's a niche I think the Giants have found and had some success with.

That said, I'm not looking at Curry as a guy who will come in and dominate. Just a guy who can contribute and who knows, we may find a guy who just happens to fall into the right situation to be the guy he was drafted to be.

Good point - at 27 yrs old...there's a few years left in him if his knees hold up.

Giants are at a tipping point and are reloading because so many players we depend on are either near the end of their careers or are coming up for free agency and will cost a fortune. Nicks is in his last year and I believe it's more important to resign him than Cruz. Rolle is 31 and making ridiculous money, and it gets more each year as his contract is back loaded. Webster is in his last year and if he has a comeback year, he's going to want a ton of cash to stay. Snee is also 31 and has been banged up and less effective the last couple of years and he's going to earn 7.5 million if he's still on the team next year.

When I look at this year's draft, it almost makes perfect sense what's going through Reese's mind. The Giants are getting older, broken down, and eat up a lot of cap space. So we're reloading with rookie youngsters or vets for league minimum. Probably a smart move.

As fans, we seldom look at the bigger picture in which the cap is a huge barrier to keeping all the players we want...and age is also a big factor in the NFL where the careers of athletes is relatively short.

With all that said, Curry is an ideal project at the league minimum and a 1-year contract. Very smart move by the front office.

Good point - at 27 yrs old...there's a few years left in him if his knees hold up.

Giants are at a tipping point and are reloading because so many players we depend on are either near the end of their careers or are coming up for free agency and will cost a fortune. Nicks is in his last year and I believe it's more important to resign him than Cruz. Rolle is 31 and making ridiculous money, and it gets more each year as his contract is back loaded. Webster is in his last year and if he has a comeback year, he's going to want a ton of cash to stay. Snee is also 31 and has been banged up and less effective the last couple of years and he's going to earn 7.5 million if he's still on the team next year.

When I look at this year's draft, it almost makes perfect sense what's going through Reese's mind. The Giants are getting older, broken down, and eat up a lot of cap space. So we're reloading with rookie youngsters or vets for league minimum. Probably a smart move.

As fans, we seldom look at the bigger picture in which the cap is a huge barrier to keeping all the players we want...and age is also a big factor in the NFL where the careers of athletes is relatively short.

With all that said, Curry is an ideal project at the league minimum and a 1-year contract. Very smart move by the front office.

Every year we and ever team have those situations... guys who are getting paid a ton and not really worth it (Rolle)... guys who are going to command a ton (Nicks) guys getting old etc etc etc. Let's not forget last year we didn't even make the playoffs.. if Cruz doesn't sign, Someone else will take his place... and Curry at 27 is in his prime physically... I think the Giants are doing what ever team is doing... looking at all the possibilities and may the best player start... I'm very excited about our rookies... each and every one of them up to that 6 4" safety.

I don't think the linebacker play can be worse than it was last year. So I will celebrate this signing with zeal. And Bleedin', ourlads is wrong. Rivers is a WIL. He's always been a WIL. In three LBer sets (the only time we have a SAM LBer on the field), he may play some at that position. My guess is Curry will be given every opportunity to win the SAM position, and BBI has Paysinger there as well, even though Paysinger is a more natural WIL also. Remember, we need a SAM backer on at most 40% of the plays in a game. We are in the nickel very often. With Cooper Taylor maybe playing the 3rd safety and a de facto LBer, we may see the SAM even less.

But historically, Rivers has almost always been a WIL, and he is probably the best option at WIL for us if he's healthy (I still think he's a better player healthy than Jacquian).

I don't think the linebacker play can be worse than it was last year. So I will celebrate this signing with zeal. And Bleedin', ourlads is wrong. Rivers is a WIL. He's always been a WIL. In three LBer sets (the only time we have a SAM LBer on the field), he may play some at that position. My guess is Curry will be given every opportunity to win the SAM position, and BBI has Paysinger there as well, even though Paysinger is a more natural WIL also. Remember, we need a SAM backer on at most 40% of the plays in a game. We are in the nickel very often. With Cooper Taylor maybe playing the 3rd safety and a de facto LBer, we may see the SAM even less.

But historically, Rivers has almost always been a WIL, and he is probably the best option at WIL for us if he's healthy (I still think he's a better player healthy than Jacquian).

I thought Rivers was a WILL, but wasn't 100% sure. Paysinger has added bulk in the offseason and hasn't lost any speed...something like 15 lbs of muscle. He could be being groomed for the SAM. Having Curry (a natural SAM) is a good thing.

And I agree...I think they have all kinds of plans for Cooper Taylor to play both Safety and LB. He's going to be interesting to watch. I got a hunch in 2 years when the dust settles, Taylor will have been the steal of the draft! That'd be sweet.