SportsWrath

27 year old Clint Sintim announces his retirement

BleedinBlue

No surprise here, but something to talk about other than how bad our draft was for some, and how fat one of our new players are.

From PFT:

Clint Sintim, a linebacker who had enough potential that the Giants took him in the second round of the 2009 NFL draft, has retired at the age of 27 after an NFL career in which he had more torn ACLs than games started.

Sintim, who last played in 2010, confirmed on his Facebook page that he will never play again.

“I never actually announced it but I am officially retired from the game of football,” Sintim wrote. “I want to thank everyone who supported me throughout my movement but it was honestly time for me to walk away from the game. Ambition should not be limited to a sport and in my case it is not.”

Sintim played in 24 games in his first two seasons, starting just one, and then tore his ACL twice and never saw the field again.

SAD... the dude just never had the luck..

I'd love to have his bad luck. Free college ride with no debt, get to tell people he played in the NFL, and starts out at 27 years old with about 3 million dollars and a degree in anthropology.

In hind sight, he avoided numerous concussions and several years worth of additional NFL body hits and still has a full life ahead of him - real life, not the fantasy life he hoped for.

Bad luck is being a soldier making 13,000 a year and getting your legs blown off, fighting in a war that makes no sense at all. Or finding out your wife is knocked up by her brother from Kentucky. Or being 95,000 dollars in debt for a degree that no one will hire you for and finding out the only job you can get is a part time job at McDonalds. Or cliff diving and misjudging how far out you have to leap to avoid a rock cropping 80 feet below.

I understand where you're coming from. It's a dream job to be able to make millions playing a sport typically played by kids for free. Getting a free education and handed a few million to start off real life is pretty dang sweet though.

Dude made $100,000 per tackle.

Actually...his contract was 3.36 million guaranteed with a 1.608 million signing bonus (3.966 million). He had 24 career tackles so that works out to $165,250 per tackle. Pretty sweet gig.

On the other hand, when you break it down for baseball players, it's insane. Like A-Rod has made $53,930 for every plate appearance he's made as a Yankee. As prolific a HR hitter he is, he nets $389,490 per homerun.

What's worse is the multitude of pitchers who lose more games than they win and still net on average 7.5 million a year. There's pitchers that look like they are throwing batting practice that get 25 starts a year and pocket 300K per game.

There's worse things than failing in professional sports...like not getting a contract in the first place that resembles winning the lottery.

Bleeding. Sometimes you just can't compare that money for a dream. The kid played his whole life. Hours at the gym and game study for a chance to live his dream as a NFL player. I don't believe being a part of a NFL team and played a little bit would fulfill all that hard work hes done.

Guess we are just seeing it differently.