SportsWrath

Article on TE Clements

BleedinBlue

Chase Clements Signs with the Giants

By Teddy Renois Staff Writer

Published: Wednesday, May 1, 2013 at 9:53 a.m.

Chase Clement almost became “Mr. Irrelevant,” but he became a New York Giant instead.

Clement was keeping tabs on the 2013 NFL Draft on Saturday, not sure if he would hear his name called, but at the same time fielding phone calls from NFL teams interested in signing the former LSU tight end to a free-agent contract.

After the Indianapolis Colts made the 254th and final selection of the draft, Clement was still available but that didn't last very long.

The New York Giants contacted Clement on Saturday before the draft resumed and once it was over, Clement got a phone call and an offer from the Giants that he accepted.

Clement, who was an all-state performer and the 2007 Class 3A Defensive Player of the Year at E.D. White Catholic High School, said as the seventh round was ending, several NFL teams contacted him with offers if he wasn't selected by the Indianapolis Colts with the last pick. The Colts ended up taking South Carolina tight end Justice Cunningham with the pick.

“Towards the end, the Colts had shown some interest in me, and they had the very last pick. The ‘Mr. Irrelevant' pick. Dallas had called to say if the Colts didn't pick me, they would call me,” Clement said. “I had phone calls from Dallas, Chicago, St. Louis, Miami and Houston (throughout the draft). They all showed interest, but I had spoken to the Giants before, so when those teams called back, I had to wish them well. After weighing all my options, the Giants are the best fit for me and my skill set.”

Clement didn't work out for the Giants prior to the draft. However, through phone conversations with the Giants tight end coach Mike Pope, Clement became convinced the Giants presented him the best opportunity to play in the NFL.

“I didn't get a chance to visit with them, and they didn't come to work me out, but I did hear from them a couple of times before the draft. They were real interested in me, and I spoke with the tight ends coach, and he was real interested in me. He liked how I played and how I would fit in their offense,” Clement said. “When it came down to the draft, I had been in touch with them on Saturday morning. They said they didn't plan on taking a tight end, but if I was available to expect a phone call. I did hear from other teams, but me and my agent sat down and looked at which team would give me the best opportunity, and I chose the Giants. I think it is the best fit, and I know it will be a different atmosphere and culture, but I'm ready to show them what I can do.”

What Clement has done at LSU and will do for the Giants is provide support for the running game with his blocking.

Clement only had 14 receptions for 189 yards and a touchdown in three seasons at tight end for LSU, but he was a two-year starter due to his blocking.

Even though it is his blocking that caught the eye of NFL teams, E.D. White head football coach Kyle Lasseigne said the Giants are getting more than just a blocking tight end.

Lasseigne said he attended Clement's Pro Day at LSU where the 6-foot 5-inch, 265-pound tight end showed his the ability to catch the football.

“I think what you saw him do at the college level are the things he will make an impact with in the NFL. I might be bias, but I thought he was one of the best blocking tight ends in the SEC, and he showed that every week,” Lasseigne said. “I do think he is underrated as a pass catcher. He didn't have a lot of opportunities to catch the ball, but I saw his Pro Day, and I think he did a great job. I think the Giants got a steal. I think the Giants are excited to get a player of his talents without using a draft pick. I know he is excited to go there and now his has to go to work and earn a job.”

Even though he enters the NFL as an undrafted rookie, Clement is confident he will make the most of his opportunity with the Giants.

The Giants rookie mini-camp is scheduled for May 10-12.

“I'm just happy to be (in the NFL). I worked hard all five years at LSU and that helped me get my foot in the door. Now, I've got to go out there and prove myself,” Clement said. “I'm not looking at (not getting drafted) as a negative. I am happy with what I've got and where I am. I know my family is excited, and I hope to represent the city of Thibodaux. I am just ready to get to work.”

Sounds like another Jake Ballard... who before the injury, was working out pretty well for us.

My thoughts exactly. Ballard was rarely used for receiving (only caught 34 passes in 4 years in college so wasn't considered a prime TE in the draft), but was known as a great blocking TE - in fact, he was the first TE in Ohio State history to win the "Offensive Lineman of the Year" award.

If Pope sees something there in Clements that he feels has potential, then I have faith he's more than just fodder. I imagine it will light a fire under Pascoe. I like bringing in youngsters who threaten vets if they've not kept in shape over the off season or have gotten comfortable in their role. Competition good!

Hope he makes it, we could always use another tight end. Maybe we can trade him now for a 3rd rounder next year because we're that good at finding them.

I love how every year we are all excited about late picks and undrafted guys.

Not trying to be a dick, but I doubt this guy makes the team.