SportsWrath

"joemorrisforprez" secret identity revealed.

Sephiroth

There's a reason why Greene went in the 4th, not the 1st or 2nd. I would have preferred the pick too, but everyone needs to stop pretending that Greene was a can't-miss pick who's destined to be a starter. If he was that good he would have gone much earlier, especially in a draft that was lousy for LB talent.

I didn't like Greene as much as some other guys, but I thought in the 4th he wouldn't have been the best pick. Nobody can argue that Nassib wasn't a great value. The argument is if he never has a chance to showcase his abilities, then after 4 years he's a free agent off his rookie contract, nobody is going to give the Giants any draft pick worth much for him, because he would be still an unknown commodity, and he signs a contract maybe to be a backup somewhere else, or goes to the CFL or something. There will be other highly regarded QB's coming into the league, and other teams are trying to do what the Giants did as well. Look at the 'Skins with Kirk Cousins, he's at least going to showcase and already has impressed as a rookie. Hopefully, I'm wrong and this isn't a wasted pick. But anyone who thinks that it will be easy for the Giants to flip Nassib even for another 4th rounder later on, that's not true if he never plays outside of exhibition season. And then he signs somewhere else to compete as a starter for a bad team somewhere, if he's lucky. And the Giants will still have Eli playing QB for awhile after that.

In the 4th, if not Nassib, I would not have necessarily gone with Greene anyway, because there were other players with great value, IMO, after the Giants trade up. At 13, the Giants could have picked up Barrett Jones. Or, they could've stood pat and grabbed Marcus Lattimore, who might be the best RB in this class if he can stay healthy.

There's a reason why Greene went in the 4th, not the 1st or 2nd. I would have preferred the pick too, but everyone needs to stop pretending that Greene was a can't-miss pick who's destined to be a starter. If he was that good he would have gone much earlier, especially in a draft that was lousy for LB talent.

Greene would have been an excellent fit for the Giants:

1. Cover2 schemes require linebackers that can cover alot of ground, and are good in pass coverage.....Greene has speed, and was once a safety.
  2. Fewell uses alot of 3 safety looks; again, Greene understands the safety position.
  3. Fewell's trademark has always been turnovers; Greene led the NCAA in forced fumbles.
  4. The Giants linebackers suck; bears linebackers are good; they run a similar defense (4-3, cover 2) and yet, the Bears were #5 in the league, and the Giants #31.
  5. With all due respect, the Bears organization is a much better authority on evaluating linebackers than the Giants.

Greene would have been an excellent fit for the Giants:

1. Cover2 schemes require linebackers that can cover alot of ground, and are good in pass coverage.....Greene has speed, and was once a safety.

2. Fewell uses alot of 3 safety looks; again, Greene understands the safety position.

3. Fewell's trademark has always been turnovers; Greene led the NCAA in forced fumbles.

4. The Giants linebackers suck; bears linebackers are good; they run a similar defense (4-3, cover 2) and yet, the Bears were #5 in the league, and the Giants #31.

5. With all due respect, the Bears organization is a much better authority on evaluating linebackers than the Giants.

So why wasn't he picked earlier?

So why wasn't he picked earlier?

Most analysts projected him anywhere from the 2nd-4th rounds. If I had to point to anything, maybe his broken ankle in 2011.

Regardless, he was there to be picked up, and the Giants opted for a backup QB who will very likely never play a meaningful down....Jeff Rutledge 2.0.

The Bears - who again, know more about the value of good linebacking than the Giants - swooped in and grabbed him.

Most analysts projected him anywhere from the 2nd-4th rounds. If I had to point to anything, maybe his broken ankle in 2011.

Regardless, he was there to be picked up, and the Giants opted for a backup QB who will very likely never play a meaningful down....Jeff Rutledge 2.0.

The Bears - who again, know more about the value of good linebacking than the Giants - swooped in and grabbed him.

Just because we've been very lucky Eli is made of rubber, we really shouldn't push our luck with Carr... I contend the back up QB position is a bigger need than a LB.

Just because we've been very lucky Eli is made of rubber, we really shouldn't push our luck with Carr... I contend the back up QB position is a bigger need than a LB.

I'll try to let that argument keep me from thowing my shoe through my TV the next time the Giants give up a 3rd and 22.

I'll try to let that argument keep me from thowing my shoe through my TV the next time the Giants give up a 3rd and 22.

That happens to any team... The argument was this draft class didn't have good LBs... I can understand if there was one out there and we passed... and I'm not going to sit here and second guess the guys who do this for a living... Greene was picked in the 4th round... when was the last time we had a rookie come in and start and revolutionize a position?

And to Tree's point, what makes you think Greene is any better than the guys we already have?