SportsWrath

KillaKyle's Mock Draft (4/4)

KiLLaKyLe

1. Cornellius "Tank" Carradine, DE, Florida State

First of all, this pick is highly dependent on how he performs at his workout in two weeks (4/20). Coming off a torn ACL in November, he is far enough ahead of schedule with his rehab that he will be doing a full workout six months after the injury occurred. If it weren't for the injury, Tank is a top 10 pick in this draft. Giants need to take advantage of getting this talent at 19. Tank is a prototypical RE in a 4-3 defense. He's similar to JPP in terms of his athleticism and explosiveness. Like JPP, Tank had limited starting experience in college. He's got the size you look for in a DE to go along with a relentless motor. He plays the run well for the most part, racking up 80+ tackles this year. Many FSU fans believe Tank will be a better pro than highly regarded teammate Bjoern Werner. This pick would replenish the Giants pass rush that was nonexistent last year. Him and JPP would strike fear into every single offensive line in the league.

hi-res-6620110_display_image.jpg

2. Sio Moore, OLB, UConn

Here's a LB who doesn't excel in one area, but is solid in every aspect. He tested very well at the combine: running a 4.65 forty; 29 bench reps; a 38 inch vertical; and a 127 inch broad jump (all were the best for LBs). He's disciplined and maintains gap responsibilities. Consistent tackler who limits yards after the catch. Experience covering both TEs and big WRs. Does a good job jamming TEs and can stay with them on seam routes. Good instincts in coverage. Can jump slants and adept in breaking passes up. Uses his arms well to shed blocks and is a sideline-to-sideline backer. Also has the ability to get down in a three-point stance and rush the passer. Has a knack for knocking the ball away from QBs. His remarkable athleticism wasn't very evident in film. Gets eluded by quicker ball-carriers in the open field. Can play both WLB and SLB for the Giants scheme. Has the ability to be a three-down backer who might not be elite, but will be a very good consistent player in the NFL. I see Moore being able to play the Kiwi LB role while also being athletic enough to play the pass.

hi-res-6635488_display_image.jpg

3. Travis Frederick, OG/C, Wisconsin

Frederick is the type of offensive linemen who would fit perfectly in a power scheme. He's a big guy at 6'4" and 312 lbs. Has experience playing both guard and center. He's quick off the snap and can stone defensive linemen right away. Has the upper and lower body strength to anchor defenders consistently. Reliable one-on-one blocker. Has the quick feet to get to the second level on tosses and screens. Reliable snapper. Has a tendency to stop his feet in pass protection, which will need work. The Badgers have a history of producing quality offensive linemen, and Frederick is bound to live up to the hype. He's a similar player to David Baas, and he think he could be either his or Boothe's (or both) replacement. Plug and play anywhere on the interior line without worry.

20121127_kkt_aq3_213.0_standard_352.0.jpg

4. Shawn Williams, SS, Georgia

Let me preface this by saying pointing out the similarities to a former Giants safety, both in name and number. Williams is known for calling his teammates "too soft" during the year. He certainly didn't fit into that category. He is a physical, in-the-box safety who is strong at the point of attack. Had the best forty time (4.46) and most bench reps (25) for all safeties. A good blitzer who makes many disruptive plays in the backfield. Strong tackler who can take down players with authority. Played often as a single-high or two-deep safety. Does a good job reading the QB and closing on receivers. Strikes fear into players going over the middle. Has a tendency to go for the big hit instead of wrapping up. Has trouble shedding blocks. Doesn't have great ball skills and won't force a ton of turnovers. More of a zone player than man-to-man. He's been overshadowed by Bacarri Rambo, but Williams has traits that will translate into a solid safety in the NFL. He could play in the third safety role right away and contribute on special teams. I can definitely see him fitting next to either Stevie Brown or Will Hill as the future safety tandem.

153583390.0_standard_352.0.jpg

5. Kevin Reddick, ILB, North Carolina

While the Giants never draft a LB in the first round, they do often take multiple in the same draft. While usually not this high, it's obvious the Giants need some work at the position. Reddick is the last of the talented group of LBs from North Carolina. I always thought he had the potential to be the best, but Reddick never took his game to the next level. He's very intelligent, and a hard worker who rarely misses assignments. Prototypical middle linebacker who can move around in tight spaces to fill run gaps. Doesn't take false steps or freelance. Played some DE as a senior, showing natural bend and flexibility. He isn't a sideline-to-sideline guy, but has great short area closing burst. Does a good job on blitzes. Won't be exposed in coverage. Does a better job beating the blocker to the spot rather than shedding the block itself. Doesn't have the stamina to be a three-down LB. Proved to be more athletic at the combine than was evident on tape. Could be a solid LB in the middle of the Giants defense who is a two-down backer.

20121101_bsd_sd2_423.0_standard_352.0.jpg

6. Chris Faulk, RT, LSU

I've been a fan of Faulk since starting the draft process, but he isn't very popular among draft analysts. He missed the last season with a torn ACL, but should be recovered by next year. Has experience at both LT and RT, but may only be able to play RT in the NFL. Was considered a 1st or 2nd rounder before the injury. At 6'5", 331 lbs., and 25 bench reps, he has the size to play RT in the NFL. Does a good job getting his hands on defenders and and re-directing them. Wins consistently, even with poor technique. Relentless blocker with solid strength. He won't translate to LT because of his heavy feet and tight hips. Need refining on his technique. Puts his head down too often and also is on the turf more than you'd like. Doesn't use his strength well in the run game. Struggles to recover after being beaten. He isn't NFL ready, but can be coached into a starting RT in the NFL. Worse case scenario, Faulk is quality depth with high upside.

hi-res-5525276_display_image.jpg

7. Kayvon Webster, CB, South Florida

Webster is not a very well known prospect, but he has limited tape because teams rarely threw at him. He's got good measurables at 5'10", 195 lbs., 4.41 forty, 14 bench reps, and a 35 inch vertical. He's a reliable corner who doesn't have many holes in his game. He's an excellent tackler who uses his athleticism well. Is a effort player who may be a sleeper as a starting CB in the NFL. Has the right attitude for a CB. Looked smooth in position drills at the combine. Gave great effort on a terrible defense. He sounds like someone who can be a gunner right away on special teams and possibly groomed as either depth at CB or even possibly a starting job. I can see him being a solid sleeper in this draft.

20121226_kkt_sv7_662.0_standard_352.0.jpg

7. Ryan Griffin, TE, UConn

Here's my guess for TE coach Mike Pope's infatuation with an unknown TE prospect. He's got good size at 6'6" and 255 lbs. He shows good hands and the ability to extend to catch the ball. Adjusts well to off-target throws. Goes over the middle without fear and has natural ball skills. Adequate quickness and solid route runner. Has the awareness to get his feet inbounds on the sideline. He's an aggressive blocker who did a better job than some of his fellow offensive linemen. Very disciplined and patient. Had a versatile role at UConn where he lined up inline, in the slot, and in the backfield. Has a the frame to add more bulk and strength. He's a possession guy with minimal YAC ability. Never had consistent production because of the terrible offense he played for. This guy sounds like Jake Ballard to me. He could be a hidden gem with the best TE coach in the biz coaching him up.

hi-res-155946846_display_image.jpg

Heard Kasa is the TE we like, Pope went to his pro day.

That doesn't necessarily mean that's who he was talking about. They would probably try to hide interest if they are trying to keep it a secret.

Like the Chris Faulk pick in the later rounds. He's a guy I've looked into.

I think ignoring the offensive line in the first two rounds is a mistake and likewise the secondary in the top three rounds, though the later is less a concern given you're 4th rounder.

Overall, I think we address mostly the same positions, I just think I'd prioritize them a little differently.

Kyle, isn't the draft on the 19th? (referencing Carradine's workout on 4/20)

And while the Giants going DE in the first round seemed unlikely at first.. I can totally see where A. They go Best Player Available and B. Dline.. Dline.. Dline... (we signed stop gaps this year). JPP better show up with less body fat than he did last year...

19th is the deadline to sign tenders.

Draft is 25th-27th. Rd 1 is 25th (8pm), Rds 2&3 are the 26th (6:30 pm), Rds 4-7 are the 27th (12 noon).

Like the Chris Faulk pick in the later rounds. He's a guy I've looked into.

I think ignoring the offensive line in the first two rounds is a mistake and likewise the secondary in the top three rounds, though the later is less a concern given you're 4th rounder.

Overall, I think we address mostly the same positions, I just think I'd prioritize them a little differently.

So the Giants MUST draft an OL in the first two rounds or it's a mistake, regardless of the player? I don't like that reasoning. I chose Frederick in the 3rd round who would be a great addition. He could start immediately at three different positions. What more do you want out of an OL picked in the draft? Also adding Faulk late should satisfy anyone's OL concerns with the Giants. I draft two players who together could back up all five spot on the OL. Faulk was also a highly regarded prospect before the injury. This is probably best-case-scenario in terms of how the Giants could upgrade their OL in the draft, realistically.

As for the secondary, I see your argument. The reason I didn't address the situation sooner is because safety is extremely deep and the Giants already have almost a full secondary, even before the draft. They have Webster-Prince-Hosley-Ross-T2 at CB and Rolle-Brown-Hill-Mundy-Sash as S. Not much room to add rookies...

And while the Giants going DE in the first round seemed unlikely at first.. I can totally see where A. They go Best Player Available and B. Dline.. Dline.. Dline... (we signed stop gaps this year). JPP better show up with less body fat than he did last year...

You mentioned JPP showing up out of shape, and I've got a funny story about that. I used to work with JPP in high school (he knew NOTHING about football, for-real), and worked with close friends of his all the way until two years ago. The offseason of the lockout (year of our SB win), I was talking to his friends asking them how he was training for the year and what not. They said he wasn't. He was just hanging around during the summer chilling. When they asked him if he should be working out or studying the playbook, he just said "Don't worry, I'm good. I got this." Pretty remarkable, both positively and negatively. Now, I knew he wouldn't have the best work ethic when he was drafted, but I also didn't know he had the natural athletic ability to get 16.5 sacks and 1st team All-Pro in an offseason that he treated as a long vacation. Hopefully his commitment to the team is improving because he could be a GOAT if he truly puts his heart into maximizing his talent. Don't get it wrong, I love him as a player, and he's truly a good person, but hearing this stuff so early made me worry. They also told me during his breakout year that once his contract is up, he's going wherever the money is. The Giants better be opening up some cap space for a possible enormous contract JPP will command in a few years.

So the Giants MUST draft an OL in the first two rounds or it's a mistake, regardless of the player? I don't like that reasoning. I chose Frederick in the 3rd round who would be a great addition. He could start immediately at three different positions. What more do you want out of an OL picked in the draft? Also adding Faulk late should satisfy anyone's OL concerns with the Giants. I draft two players who together could back up all five spot on the OL. Faulk was also a highly regarded prospect before the injury. This is probably best-case-scenario in terms of how the Giants could upgrade their OL in the draft, realistically.

The draft is pretty deep on O line talent. Four starting OTs and two starting OGs in the first round in Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson, Fluker, Warmack and Cooper. The teams looking for O line help likely take these guys with their first picks, leaving a decent selection in the 2nd round. I think the dropoff to the 3rd round projections is significant enough to make selecting either one of the 6 in the first round (if they're available) or finding someone in the 2nd that can start a year from now. Now, I know the Giants generally don't draft for need, but I think that the RT position is a much larger concern than many are making it out to be.

I like Faulk as a guy who can start a few years from now and as a guy we can fall back on if we don't get someone in the first two rounds.

I know I posted my first round mock for the league, but I've got one working for the Giants too. Targeting Kyle Long or Terron Armstead at OT in the 2nd would be my preference, with DT being my preference in round 1.

At the end of the first round, I think we're going to look back and see one of two things. There's significant offensive line talent in the 6 guys I mentioned above. There's also significant defensive line talent in this draft. Whether there's a run on offensive line or defensive line prior to our picking at 19, should determine whether we go DT-OT or OT-DT in my opinion. We're in a situation where we should be able to add depth in the trenches regardless.

The draft is pretty deep on O line talent. Four starting OTs and two starting OGs in the first round in Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson, Fluker, Warmack and Cooper. The teams looking for O line help likely take these guys with their first picks, leaving a decent selection in the 2nd round. I think the dropoff to the 3rd round projections is significant enough to make selecting either one of the 6 in the first round (if they're available) or finding someone in the 2nd that can start a year from now. Now, I know the Giants generally don't draft for need, but I think that the RT position is a much larger concern than many are making it out to be.

I like Faulk as a guy who can start a few years from now and as a guy we can fall back on if we don't get someone in the first two rounds.

I know I posted my first round mock for the league, but I've got one working for the Giants too. Targeting Kyle Long or Terron Armstead at OT in the 2nd would be my preference, with DT being my preference in round 1.

At the end of the first round, I think we're going to look back and see one of two things. There's significant offensive line talent in the 6 guys I mentioned above. There's also significant defensive line talent in this draft. Whether there's a run on offensive line or defensive line prior to our picking at 19, should determine whether we go DT-OT or OT-DT in my opinion. We're in a situation where we should be able to add depth in the trenches regardless.

You mention 6 OL, and at least three have no chance of being there at 19. Sure, Cooper and Warmack would be nice. But neither start right away this year. Fluker may, but he's not worth a 1st round pick IMO, mostly because of his below average pass blocking skills. The biggest difference between OL and DE is the talent drop-off from the 1st to the 2nd is much more significant for DEs than it is for OL. If you are looking for someone who can start a year from now, Frederick can do that at multiple spots. Do you just hate Frederick as a prospect? He's a 2nd or 3rd rounder who is the best center in the class.

The RT position on the Giants is not as much as a concern as you make it out to be. There is Brewer, who was an ultra-talented player who is going into his 3rd year with tons of coaching. He deserves a shot at the starting spot before we waste a 1st rounder on a RT. If Brewer doesn't work out, the Giants have a reliable veteran in Diehl who can handle that position this year. Nobody who the Giants draft on the OL will contribute this year unless there is a major injury to the line. Not worth a 1st round pick, IMO.

As for Kyle Long and Terron Armstead, I think both would be good value in the 2nd. I'd be all for Kyle Long in the 2nd, as he can play both guard spots and RT, but he would be better suited in a zone-blocking scheme. Not to say he can't contribute in a power-blocking scheme, just zone-blocking would utilize his athleticism better. As for Armstead, I like him as a prospect, but where does he fit on this team? Both he and Will Beatty are LTs in the NFL. Neither has the right skillset to play RT for years. It would be a waste of talent for one of those two. There's no way I see the Giants using a premier pick for a LT to play him at RT. Just not smart. And do you really want to go DT in the first when there is no room for another DT on the team? The Giants have Linval-Jenkins-Patterson-Rogers-Austin-Kuhn. Where do you fit a rookie 1st rounder? Now if it's Sheldon Richardson, bite the bullet and take him because he's great talent. But if the Giants can't get Floyd, Star, or Richardson, then 1st round DT is not a good idea. Basically what I'm trying to say is, we aren't going DT with the first pick. If the Giants are going D-Line in the first, it's DE because the depth at DE drops off after the first round whereas DT is deep in rounds 2-3 also.

I heard Brewer is a guy who maybe ready to step in.

I heard Brewer is a guy who maybe ready to step in.

Gotta at least give him a shot. He's got all the traits you look for in a RT, just needed some coaching out of college because he started playing football late. He played basketball his sophomore and junior seasons. This is the perfect scenario to give him a chance. Let him take starting reps in training camp and the preseason, and if he makes a fool of himself, the Giants always have ole reliable in Diehl who can come in and play RT.

Admittedly, I'm not much of a fan of college football nor pre-draft research and analysis outside of maybe the top 10 picks. Anyway, I'm with a lot of the posters who have been mentioning that ignoring offensive line in the first 3 rounds is a mistake. Last year I would have been all for adding depth in later rounds but to be honest, it was a mistake overlooking offensive line in the first 3 rounds last year, as well. For me, it boils down to the simple fact that we are getting extremely long in the tooth at that position.

As for the secondary, I see your argument. The reason I didn't address the situation sooner is because safety is extremely deep and the Giants already have almost a full secondary, even before the draft. They have Webster-Prince-Hosley-Ross-T2 at CB and Rolle-Brown-Hill-Mundy-Sash as S. Not much room to add rookies...

You mentioned JPP showing up out of shape, and I've got a funny story about that. I used to work with JPP in high school (he knew NOTHING about football, for-real), and worked with close friends of his all the way until two years ago. The offseason of the lockout (year of our SB win), I was talking to his friends asking them how he was training for the year and what not. They said he wasn't. He was just hanging around during the summer chilling. When they asked him if he should be working out or studying the playbook, he just said "Don't worry, I'm good. I got this." Pretty remarkable, both positively and negatively. Now, I knew he wouldn't have the best work ethic when he was drafted, but I also didn't know he had the natural athletic ability to get 16.5 sacks and 1st team All-Pro in an offseason that he treated as a long vacation. Hopefully his commitment to the team is improving because he could be a GOAT if he truly puts his heart into maximizing his talent. Don't get it wrong, I love him as a player, and he's truly a good person, but hearing this stuff so early made me worry. They also told me during his breakout year that once his contract is up, he's going wherever the money is. The Giants better be opening up some cap space for a possible enormous contract JPP will command in a few years.

He sounds similar to LT...if LT had hit the weight room as Harry Carson, Brad Van Pelt and even Carl Banks tried to get him to do...he could have had another 2-4 years added to his career and perhaps avoided and/or ameliorated said injuries. As to moving on...well as he is Haitian there is a large Haitian community in Florida...getting to near equal size to that of New York's...Though like Cruz I think he will be more marketable (though not to the same extent) in NY than elsewhere...