SportsWrath

Round 1 mock draft - fixed and ready for your comments

gmenroc

1. Kansas City - Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M -- Fills a need with Eric Winston's release. Keeps new QB Smith upright and opens holes for RB Charles. D-Line is a need, but the depth in the draft allows them to get a good player in 2nd round

2. Jacksonville - Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon -- Jags need help everywhere, they'd like to start at QB, but the value at #2 isn't there for a QB. Getting a premier pass rusher helps immensely.

3. Oakland - Shariff Floyd, DT, Florida -- Raiders don't have any starting DTs right now, they get the best one the draft has to offer. Would be Lotulelei if it weren't for the heart condition.

4. Philadelphia - Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama -- Along with Cary Williams, Kenny Phillips, and Patrick Chung…the Eagles repair a secondary that wasn't nearly as good on the field as they were on paper. Eric Fisher is a huge temptation here, but they have options for O-Line given Herreman's flexibility.

5. Detroit - Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan -- Detroit has openings at both OT spots depending on Reiff being a G or T…but either way, Fisher makes a ton of sense here and is likely the best player available on the board

6. Cleveland - Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama -- Cleveland would have loved if Milliner fell to them, but they are also excited to have Warmack keeping Weeden upright and opening holes for the promising Richardson. This is the first spot I see that could potentially be a spot for Geno Smith, QB…but not for Cleveland. I think the Browns would gladly trade down and still pick up an interior linemen to help them in 2013

7. Arizona - Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma -- It doesn't matter who the QB is, they need help across the O-line. Even Levi Brown is not the same as he once was. Johnson provides a huge upgrade, but shouldn't be the only pick the Cards use on O-Line

8. Buffalo - Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia -- If Buffalo thinks Arizona or even Cleveland is taking Smith, they're the trading partner with Cleveland to take the highest ranked QB in this draft. Smith at this point might be a bit of a reach, but Buffalo is desparate for a franchise QB and Smith is the closest they're getting this year.

9. NY Jets - Jarvis Jones, LB, Georgia -- No more Bart Scott, no more Calvin Pace…Jets need to be able to rush the passer. Jones provides that from day 1.

10. Tennessee - Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State -- With interior offensive line and secondary being the primary needs for the Titans, and Milliner and Warmack being gone, Titans settle on Rhodes, who won't disappoint.

11. San Diego - Barkevious Mingo, LB, LSU -- They're pissed the 3 OT's AND Warmack are all off the board if they remain here. They too could be interested in the #6 pick from Cleveland to have a shot at Lane Johnson. They go with a LB to address an equally large need on the other side of the ball.

12. Miami - Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State -- A great prospect to fill the other side from Cameron Wake. Trufant is a consideration, but at 12 it might be a bit of a reach. Werner presents a much higher value here.

13. Tampa Bay - Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington -- Tampa needs a lot of CB help, they make the reach because they're desparate for a starting CB.

14. Carolina - Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah -- Once recognized as the best player in the draft is no longer the highest ranked at his position. The heart condition causes concern, but there's way too much upside at this point to pass up on.

15. New Orleans - Ezekiel Ansah, DE, Brigham Young -- LB, S, and T are all priorities. No T at this point is worth it, leaving the decision between Vaccaro, Ansah, and Datone Jones. Ansah's athleticism is too tough to let go and immediately provides an upgrade to DE or LB for the Saints

16. St. Louis - DJ Fluker, OT, Alabama -- They need a WR and an OT. They take the last OT worthy of a first round pick, hoping the WR is available at 22.

17. Pittsburgh - Datone Jones, DE, UCLA -- DJ Fluker at OT would've been nice, but Pittsburgh's known for pass rush and they didn't have any last year. Jones size and speed will keep him on the line, and limit his ability to drop into coverage, but the Steelers will like his pass rush ability

18. Dallas - Johnathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina -- Cowboys O-Line sucks on a ton of levels. They sprint to the podium with this pick.

19. NY Giants - Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri -- Mocking the Giants is tough, because they use free agency to plug holes and give themselves options on draft day. Given the right side of the offensive line's struggles, DJ Fluker would make the most sense here if available, but Sheldon Richardson at DT is the best player on the board. Despite the Cullen Jenkins signing, Giants take Sheldon Richardson to help stop the run they couldn't stop and restore the pass rush of two years ago.

20. Chicago - Kevin Minter, LB, LSU -- Losing Urlacher, Roach, and Hayes in one offseason...position needs addressed.

21. Cincinatti - Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas -- Their starting safeties are aging and horrible. Injecting some youth will help the defense significantly. LB is a big need, but so is safety and the value is here for Vaccaro.

22. St. Louis - Cordarelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee -- Rams lost both Amendola AND Gibson AND Jackson in free agency. Bradford needs playmakers around him. A big fast receiver like Patterson fits the bill.

23. Minnesota - Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia -- Replaces Harvin and complements the newly signed Jennings. Beefing up the receiving core takes some pressure off Peterson. The rest of the draft can be for defense, except maybe some O-line depth later on

24. Indianapolis - Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State -- Can play either the DE or NT position on the 3-4 line. Indy needs to upgrade the LBers behind him, but his run stuffing ability and quickness to extend a play to the outside will be hugely beneficial

25. Seattle - Kawann Short, DT, Purdue -- Seahawks would've been okay with Hankins too at this point. Getting a little more stout in the middle will only benefit an already good defense. Offensive line upgrades will have to wait until later rounds given the 1st rounders are all off the board at this point. Eifert, the TE out of Notre Dame is a strong possibility as well.

26. Green Bay - Eddy Lacy, RB, Alabama -- Sam Montgomery or Tyler Eifert or Eddy Lacy…all could improve the Packers instantly over what they currently have on the roster. I think the deal with Finley gets worked out and they finally find a RB for the next several years.

27. Houston - Sam Montgomery, LB, LSU -- He's listed as a DE, but I don't see him having a problem adjusting to an OLB in a 3-4. His quickness allows him to get to the ball as well as rush the passer.

28. Denver - Matt Elam, S, Florida -- Okafor to replace Dumervil, Matt Elam to replace Mike Adams, or Jesse Williams to anchor the middle of that defensive line? Any of the 3 moves could not be criticized as the middle of Denver's defense was a huge weakness. Given the falling off of their CBs, S is the pick in the first.

29. New England - Alex Okafor, DE, Texas-- Patriots need more pass rush. Jesse Williams, paired next to Wilfork, would be an interesting and perhaps a really tempting pick at 29, but he a run plugger, much the same as Wilfork whereas pressure on the QB is needed.

30. Atlanta - Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia -- His off the field issues drop him this far, but the Falcons need for consistency at LB next to Weatherspoon doesn't let him fall out of the first round

31. San Francisco - Jonathan Banks, CB, Mississippi State -- As good as the 49er defense was, their secondary was suspect. Getting a CB with nice size/speed combo will only improve a unit that was excellent last year. Asomough signing really has no effect given it's only for 1 year.

32. Baltimore - DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson -- Ravens need LBers and Safeties in a bad way. Unfortunately, Manti Teo is the best of those two groups remaining and would be a reach here. They also need a WR to complement Torrey Smith since Boldin was traded. Keenan Allen or DeAndre Hopkins are both of greater value than Teo here at 32. I could see Baltimore trading down into the 2nd, grabbing an extra pick or two, so some team can grab Matt Barkley.

I haven't looked over the whole thing, but the first thing that caught my eye was you calling Dion Jordan a premier pass rusher. The thing is, arguably the weakest part of his game right now is his pass rushing abilities. He is a perfect SAM in a 43 because of his experience in coverage. He's got fluid hips and is basically what the Giants thought Kiwi would be plus more. He can do it all. A swiss-army knife. I'd list him as a LB.

I highly doubt Warmack goes top 10, especially at 6. Cleveland has a solid OL right now and doesn't need to invest in it with a top 10 pick.

Supposedly Jarvis Jones has been overhyped all along, I think his ceiling is 17 to the Steelers and he could make it to the 2nd round.

Star is going to be picked before 14. His medical concerns have been cleared and he looks like a top 5 pick again.

Ansah is great value at 15, but doesn't fit with the Saints. They changed to a 34 and have young OLBs they plan on trying out as pass rushers. Ansah is more of a 43 DE or 34 DE rather than a 34 OLB

Can't see Fluker going before Cooper. The talent difference between the two is significant.

Would be ECSTATIC if Sheldon Richardson fell to 19. Would be an absolutely perfect complement with Linval. Richardson is #1 on my realistic big board for the Giants.

I don't see how Austin drops out of the top 17 or so. He's got elite talent and the hype for him is unbelievable.

Highly doubt Green Bay goes with Lacy.

NO WAY Montgomery is a first round pick. No way, no how.

Overall, I think this was well done and you put a lot of time into. Some small refinements and this could be great. Good job! Sorry for the criticism.

I haven't looked over the whole thing, but the first thing that caught my eye was you calling Dion Jordan a premier pass rusher. The thing is, arguably the weakest part of his game right now is his pass rushing abilities. He is a perfect SAM in a 43 because of his experience in coverage. He's got fluid hips and is basically what the Giants thought Kiwi would be plus more. He can do it all. A swiss-army knife. I'd list him as a LB.

I highly doubt Warmack goes top 10, especially at 6. Cleveland has a solid OL right now and doesn't need to invest in it with a top 10 pick.

Supposedly Jarvis Jones has been overhyped all along, I think his ceiling is 17 to the Steelers and he could make it to the 2nd round.

Star is going to be picked before 14. His medical concerns have been cleared and he looks like a top 5 pick again.

Ansah is great value at 15, but doesn't fit with the Saints. They changed to a 34 and have young OLBs they plan on trying out as pass rushers. Ansah is more of a 43 DE or 34 DE rather than a 34 OLB

Can't see Fluker going before Cooper. The talent difference between the two is significant.

Would be ECSTATIC if Sheldon Richardson fell to 19. Would be an absolutely perfect complement with Linval. Richardson is #1 on my realistic big board for the Giants.

I don't see how Austin drops out of the top 17 or so. He's got elite talent and the hype for him is unbelievable.

Highly doubt Green Bay goes with Lacy.

NO WAY Montgomery is a first round pick. No way, no how.

Overall, I think this was well done and you put a lot of time into. Some small refinements and this could be great. Good job! Sorry for the criticism.

I disagree about Jordan, he is a DE.

I disagree about Jordan, he is a DE.

Don't get me wrong, I think Jordan can become a very good DE, but I think right now he would be best utilized as a 34 OLB or 43 SLB. He just needs to work on his pass rush moves and get stronger if he wants to hold up for 16+ games.

I think Jordan is such an athletically gifted player he can do anything well. I believe he will be employed as a 3-4 pass rusher, and that he will be exceedingly great at it.

I also love the Sheldon Richardson pick. Something tells me he isn't going to be there at 19, but if he is, that is tremendous. I'm a little surprised that Minter is in the first round. But I do believe he is the best MLB in this draft, and kudos to you, gmenroc, for mocking him as such. I don't believe Ogletree is going in the first round. In fact, I think there is a decent chance Ogletree will be available at our pick in the 2nd round, and even then I don't believe the Giants will draft him and I don't believe they should, either.

And Sam Montgomery is going in the first round. That is happening.

I think Jordan is such an athletically gifted player he can do anything well. I believe he will be employed as a 3-4 pass rusher, and that he will be exceedingly great at it.

I also love the Sheldon Richardson pick. Something tells me he isn't going to be there at 19, but if he is, that is tremendous. I'm a little surprised that Minter is in the first round. But I do believe he is the best MLB in this draft, and kudos to you, gmenroc, for mocking him as such. I don't believe Ogletree is going in the first round. In fact, I think there is a decent chance Ogletree will be available at our pick in the 2nd round, and even then I don't believe the Giants will draft him and I don't believe they should, either.

And Sam Montgomery is going in the first round. That is happening.

I think the Bengals, draft Ogletree. They have no problem drafting troubled guys.

Here's two tweets I saw earlier about Dion Jordan. Figured it was relevant to the discussion.

One former personnel guy said that using Jordan as a down 4-3 DE would be a "waste" of his other talents. - @Schottey

@Schottey In complete agreement. Could be what many hoped Kiwanuka, Lawson would become. So comfortable in space at SLB. - @JoshNorris

The second guy writes for NFL.com and Rotoworld.