SportsWrath

Alabama Juniors Declare For Draft

Allstarjim

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/8835744/eddie-lacy-dee-milliner-dj-fluker-alabama-crimson-tide-entering-nfl-draft

OK BB25.... the obvious guy I really like who I think would be a perfect fit at RT for us is DJ Fluker. Is there any chance in hell we get him in the 2nd round? I'm thinking probably not without a trade up, and not sure the value is there to take him at 19.

I love what Lacy can do, not a fit for us but think he's a great talent. Milliner at 19 I think would be a terrific pick, if he's there.

I am not in love with Fluker, he has bad games and his technique is too incosistent, he reminds me of Andre Smith, coming out if Alabama. The RT I like is Brennan Williams from UNC in round three. Milliner would awesome, but we have no shot. I would of loved C.J Mosley but he is returning to school. I would not hate Barrett Jones, he can play G/C/T, Warmack is phenomenal, but again no shot for us.

I wouldn't say we have no shot at Warmack... what's the highest we've seen a Guard taken in the draft? 15 with Pouncey or Iupati a couple of years back? I think 19 is a real possibility. I don't like taking a Guard that high, though.

Chris Naole was picked 10th overall, way back in 97. I have Warmack going tenth to Tennesee.

Chris Naole was picked 10th overall, way back in 97. I have Warmack going tenth to Tennesee.

I think Tennessee is going to go corner. They have huge problems in the secondary, their pass defense was 26th in the NFL. I don't think, with the problems they have, there is any chance they go OG that early. You have to get a real difference maker for your team with that early of a pick... and no Guard is a real difference maker. And although Chris Naole had a long career (11 seasons), you have to say that was a huge mistake for the Saints back then (when they were a terrible organization).

Besides, Guards that have been taken early haven't really been great values historically. Even good players like Iupati with the Niners and Pouncey with the Steelers (taken 17th and 18th respectively in 2010), did not represent the best values at that spot. You are paying good first round money for a Guard. Brian Bulaga was taken later. Demaryius Thomas, Sean Weatherspoon, Devin McCourtey... these guys are who you'd rather pay 1st round money to, not OG's. You can always get a Marshal Yanda (Pro Bowl G for the Ravens) in the 3rd Round.

If I were a GM, one of my rules for drafting (unless I really hated everything else on the board), would be to never take a OG in the first round. And another rule would be to never take a RB before pick 20 or so in the first round. More often than not, the value at those positions are much later.