SportsWrath

"The refs hate us" conspiracy theorists look within

BlueInCanada

NFL begins to hire, train replacement officials

• By Gregg Rosenthal NFL.com
  • Around The League editor
  • Published: June 4, 2012 at 11:50 a.m.
  • Updated: June 4, 2012 at 12:25 p.m.

Another year, another labor battle. This time, the NFL is going up against the NFL Referees Association.

The league announced Monday that it will proceed immediately with the hiring and training of replacement officials. Negotiations with the NFL's referees remain unresolved.

"Our goal is to maintain the highest quality of officiating for our teams, players, and fans, including proper enforcement of the playing rules and efficient management of our games," the league said in a statement.

A negotiation session took place Sunday under the direction of the federal mediation and conciliation service. The FMCS also assisted in last year's labor negotiations between the league and its players. Negotiations on a new agreement with the officials began last October. The previous agreement was for six years, but no new deal is in sight, so the league is going to Plan B. Regional training sessions for new officials will start later this month.

While this labor battle won't receive the same kind of attention as the one that took place last year, it figures to become an increasingly prominent point of discussion -- especially among fans -- if a deal isn't reached by the start of the regular season.

http://www.nfl.com/n..._headline_stack

Do you think the new replacement refs will hate the Giants more or less then the old refs?

Do you think the ratio of calls against or for the Giants will go up or down?

Do you think that 9/11 was an inside job by the refs of the NFL?

This is a dream come true, for NFL fans. Hopefully the replacement guys aren't lawyers and C.P.A's. The NFL has needed new officiating for a long time. I am not sure what the gripe is, I can't go to my boss and go, I was incompetent, so I think should get more.

i'm sure they do, i just don't see how.

I just wish Blunatic that these young'ins could have seen a few games from the 70's and 80's where certain teams like the Broke Backs and 69'ers could hold like they were raping guys...whereas other teams could not pay to get a holding call...and totally agree on the Stealers... P

This is a dream come true, for NFL fans. Hopefully the replacement guys aren't lawyers and C.P.A's. The NFL has needed new officiating for a long time. I am not sure what the gripe is, I can't go to my boss and go, I was incompetent, so I think should get more.

Exactly fuck em...and if the calls go up fine...as long as its even handed. I think offensive linemen have been getting away with blatant holds for too long. Almost wish we could go back to the days where if you extended your arms it was an automatic hold.

I just wish Blunatic that these young'ins could have seen a few games from the 70's and 80's where certain teams like the Broke Backs and 69'ers could hold like they were raping guys...whereas other teams could not pay to get a holding call...and totally agree on the Stealers... P

Yeah, when Staubach was there, he always seemed to get the timely roughing the passer penalty. Even when he was scrambling out of the pocket. Montana, I don't recall getting favorable calls like that. Most of the NFL hated Debartolo so I would be surprised.

Scab Refs hand-picked by the NFL will be even more in the Commish's pocket. Wake up, Sheeple!

Yea.. sorry.. we're not THAT old :P

Yeah, when Staubach was there, he always seemed to get the timely roughing the passer penalty. Even when he was scrambling out of the pocket. Montana, I don't recall getting favorable calls like that. Most of the NFL hated Debartolo so I would be surprised.

Even the early 90's teams, that Oline with Tuinei,Allen,Newton,Stepnoski etc, would chop block and they would blatantly hold and not get a holding call, it was no wonder Emmitt ran through semi truck sized holes.