SportsWrath

Outside of the First Round

Allstarjim

Basically, I can't really do a true Giants' mock because after the first, it becomes increasingly difficult to project who is going to be available around our pick. There are guys that are considered mid-rounders to everyone else that end up going early, and then there are guys considered 2nd round talents that slide 2 or 3 rounds. And then there are off-the-grid guys that people aren't talking about, haven't heard anything about, until Roger Goodell calls their name on draft day. What I can do is take a list of prospects from this website: http://www.cbssports...nkings/2012/all, and use it as a general projection of who might be available near our picks. I'm going to restrict it to the 2nd round and later, because I think we've pretty much covered the first round with the mock draft thread(s).

So what I'm going to do is take our pick #, list the player that falls on that pick number on the list, and then list the players that list 5 positions up from him, and 5 positions down. Of course, in the 7th round, it's so unpredictable, you could expand the list to 15 positions up and 15 positions down, and still not have the player that gets eventually gets picked on draft day in that list. But just as an introduction to some players, this is how we'll do it. Maybe our picks are in there, maybe not. After each list, I'll take the player I like the best, and maybe I'll throw in a sleeper candidate that isn't there that I like.

2nd Round:

CBSSports.com #63 best player in the draft: Kelechi Osemele, OT, Iowa State

5 up:

Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska

Trumaine Johnson, CB, Montana

Mohamed Sanu, WR, Rutgers

Chris Polk, RB, Washington

Isaiah Pead, RB, Cincinatti

5 down:

Bruce Irvin, OLB, West Virginia

Ronnell Lewis, OLB, Oklahoma

Kirk Cousins, QB, Michigan State

Brandon Brooks, OG, Miami (OH)

Billy Winn, DE, Boise State

My pick: I really, REALLY like Ronnell Lewis. But we have a glut of linebackers now. My pick is Isaiah Pead. I think Pead is a much more gifted athlete than Polk, but Pead will require more coaching up, as Polk is probably a better pass blocker than Pead right now. But Pead is the more explosive of the two, has quicker cuts, and is straight line faster. Whether the pick is Pead or Lewis, I think the Giants are going to get a player to be very excited about. Brandon Brooks is also a strong player that is rumored to be moving up draft boards.

3rd Round:

CBSSports 93rd ranked player: Brandon Taylor, SS, LSU

5 Up:

Ron Brooks, CB, LSU

Ladarius Green, TE, Louisiana-Lafayette

Rishard Matthews, WR, Nevada

Nigel Bradham, OLB, FSU

James Brown, OG, Troy

5 Down:

Donald Stephenson, OT, Oklahoma

Greg Childs, WR, Arkansas

Orson Charles, TE, Georgia

Cam Johnson, DE, Virginia

Taylor Thompson, TE, Southern Methodist

My Pick: Brandon Taylor. It was very tough for me not to pick Bradham, who I really like (you guys know how I like my FSU players), but Taylor plays bigger than his size, and has the look. I know Green is the sexy pick here, but to me he is way too unpolished, and drafting him earlier than the 6th, to me, is crazy. Taylor Thompson I am very intrigued with, but there is so little information/video of him out there, and he has only really played DE. I would be more interested in him as a late 4th or 6th rounder, which I think it's very possible he'll still be available then.

4th Round (2 picks, 127 and 131):

Because these picks are so close together, it will be a longer list, 5 up from 127, 5 down from 131, and the players in between.

CBSSports #127 prospect: Omar Bolden, CB, Arizona State #131: Tony Bergstrom, OT, Utah

5 up:

Chris Rainey, RB, Florida

Brandon Mosley, OT, Auburn

Nick Toon, WR, Wisconsin

Brandon Harden, FS, Oregon State

Jonathan Massaquoi, WR, Troy

In Between:

Ryan Lindley, QB, San Diego State

Philip Blake, C, Baylor

Michael Egnew, TE, Missouri

5 Down:

Trevor Guyton, DE, California

Vick Ballard, RB, Mississippi St

Emmanuel Acho, OLB, Texas

Senio Kelemete, OG, Washington

Leonard Johnson, CB, Iowa St

Now, I don't know a lot about these guys. But I will say that Senio Kelemete could be a steal at OG this late. He's a powerful guy, will transition to the inside from Tackle in the NFL, but has the build and power, and feet to be a great pulling Guard. Plus he fills the requirement for a Giants pick to have an unpronouncable name. My other pick is Michael Egnew. Interesting factoid about Egnew, his broad jump at his Pro Day was 11'3", which would have been the best at the combine. He is a very good athlete, a value pick. I see him as a better prospect than Orson Charles. He can split wide, but has the frame to add on some weight and with some tutelage can be a good inline blocker, which he has experience at. Caught 90 balls in 2010 and was an All-American, but didn't have as big a year in 2011.

Put me down for Kelemete and Egnew as my two picks.

Sleeper candidate, projected as a 5th rounder is Jarius Wright, WR from Arkansas. I like Wright, I think he would be a great addition to our WR corps. A bit of a reach here, but without a 5th rounder, I think that's ok to reach up in the middle rounds.

Quick note on Nick Toon... Yes that is Al Toon's son, legendary Jets receiver. I kind of like Toon. Big frame, has good speed, and could be a steal here.

6th Round:

CBSSports #201st prospect: Jeff Adams, OT, Columbia

5 Up:

Marcus Kuhn, DT, NC State

Devon Wylie, WR, Fresno State

Eddie Pleasant, SS, Oregon

Coty Sensabaugh, CB, Clemson

Austin Davis, QB, Southern Mississippi

5 Down:

Braylon Broughton, OLB, TCU

Donnie Fletcher, CB, Boston College

Michael Smith, RB, Utah State

Tim Fugger, DE, Vanderbilt

James Hanna, TE, Oklahoma

Who are these guys? I know Bleedin's pick is James Hanna here. Can I get Taylor Thompson here? Jarius Wright? No? Bueller?

My pick is Marcus Kuhn. Powerful guy, a little older than most prospects at 25. Has a great bull rush and is a perfect fit as a DT in our scheme. He is an effort guy, a hard worker. Would be good for depth and development down the road.

Another guy that is intriguing is Broughton. Broughton was a Pro Day warrior, running a 4.55 40 and putting up 225 lbs 26 times. He's a DE that will convert to LB, and he has prototypical size to be a devastating SAM... 6'4", 257 lbs. That is a large man that can run really fast. So just based on measurables alone, just a freakish athlete, Broughton is a nice pick to develop in the 6th. In fact, I just talked myself into Broughton, he's the pick, scratch Kuhn.

7th Round:

CBSSports 239th prospect: Sean Richardson, SS, Vanderbilt

5 Up:

Cory Harkey, TE, UCLA

Akiem Hicks, DT, Regina

Julian Talley, WR, Massachussetts

Josh Bush, FS, Wake Forest

Garth Gerhart, C, Arizona State

5 Down:

Derek Carrier, TE, Beloit

Robert Blanton, CB, Notre Dame

Brandon Carswell, WR, USC

Jerry Franklin, ILB, Arkansas

Frank Alexander, DE, Oklahoma

My pick: Frank Alexander. What do you want from me, it's the 7th Round? Pick a name out of hat. These guys could be something, maybe nothing. Alexander is another work out warrior. Long arms, great measurables. Effort player, had good production at Oklahoma. I have no idea why he isn't listed higher. He's a guy they "project" won't be as effective at the next level. But here you're getting a guy who was a productive pass rusher, perfect size and plays the run and the pass, and he's sitting here in the 7th, so why not?

Sleeper pick: Andrew Datko, OT, Florida State - Could be gone by now, projected as a 6th or 7th rounder, but has skills to start at the next level. He was an outstanding tackle for FSU, an effort guy that made it on determination. He has good size at 6'6" and 315 lbs, and he has a shoulder issue that probably has affected his draft stock, as he was limited to 4 games in 2011 and had surgery. But he could be a steal here. Datko was starting ahead of Zebrie Sanders at FSU, who is a more highly regarded prospect in this draft, but when Datko was healthy at FSU, he was ahead of Sanders on the depth chart. If Datko didn't have the shoulder problems you're looking at a player that could've gone in the 3rd round or earlier, so getting him in the 7th could be a real steal.

So to sum up, my Giants' Mock, if you want to call it that, combining the first round thread with this one:

1st Round: Bobby Massie, OT, Mississippi

2nd Round: Isaiah Pead, RB, Cincinatti

3rd Round: Brandon Taylor, SS, LSU

4th Round: Senio Kelemete, OG, Washington

4th Round: Michael Egnew, TE, Missouri

6th Round: Braylon Broughton, OLB, TCU

7th Round: Frank Alexander, DE, Oklahoma

What do YOU guys think?

I like it, but I think there needs to be a WR in there somewhere. Perhaps in place of the Washington OG?

Egnew is a very interesting prospect that I like should the Giants not get Fleener in the first. I think in a year or two, you might not notice the difference between he and Fleener.

No pass rushers until the 7th....shame on you.

How do you feel about Jared Crick, Billy Winn, and Cam Johnson? I don't know, we have JPP and Tuck locked in to place as bookends for a long time. I would like a pass rusher earlier and a WR in this draft, but out of the restrictions that the list gave me, I liked certain players more at our picks.

I think this is a better way to do a mock than to just pick a name out of a much larger list of players, that way you're not mocking a guy in the bottom of the 4th that will probably go in the 3rd. So I was trying to have a little more realism than other mocks I've read, but you know, I'm sure come draft day we'll ALL be way off.

The one thing I like about this draft is I think it really helps our OL for a long time. Massie and Kelemete could be huge building blocks on that line. I think OG is not really a need at all in this draft, so I'm cool with taking a WR there, but thought Kelemete was too good to pass up there. Rishard Matthews in the third is a good choice if not Kelemete, I think he'd be a good player for us, good size, speed, and can return punts and catches balls in traffic. Runs all the routes and isn't afraid of being physical.

Ok here's mine.

1. Donta Hightower ILB Florida St

2. David Wilson RB Va Tech

3.Brandon Mosley OT Auburn

4.Tommy Streeter WR Miami

4.Phillip Thomas S Syracuse

6.Jack Crawford DE Penn St

7.Moe Petrus G/C UCONN

UDFA we can look at TE. LIke Chris Pantale from BC, or George Bryan from NC St.

How do you feel about Jared Crick, Billy Winn, and Cam Johnson? I don't know, we have JPP and Tuck locked in to place as bookends for a long time. I would like a pass rusher earlier and a WR in this draft, but out of the restrictions that the list gave me, I liked certain players more at our picks.

I think this is a better way to do a mock than to just pick a name out of a much larger list of players, that way you're not mocking a guy in the bottom of the 4th that will probably go in the 3rd. So I was trying to have a little more realism than other mocks I've read, but you know, I'm sure come draft day we'll ALL be way off.

The one thing I like about this draft is I think it really helps our OL for a long time. Massie and Kelemete could be huge building blocks on that line. I think OG is not really a need at all in this draft, so I'm cool with taking a WR there, but thought Kelemete was too good to pass up there. Rishard Matthews in the third is a good choice if not Kelemete, I think he'd be a good player for us, good size, speed, and can return punts and catches balls in traffic. Runs all the routes and isn't afraid of being physical.

I originally liked Jarius Wright in the mid rounds for WR...

As for OLine, I would agree 100% that we need to address depth with this draft. If we can bring in one or two guys this offseason, that can be 5-10 year guys on the OLine, I'd call this draft a huge success. As good as Eli is, I'd like for him to (1) be kept as upright as possible and (2) open the running game back up a little bit to get a bit more balance on offense to keep defenses guessing. An OT in the first or 2nd and possibly a second OT in the 6th or 7th would be nice. I think with Petrus and Booth, Snee and Diehl...we're good at OG for some time, depthwise anyhow.

Thought I'd bump this up because it could be a decent predictor for what might be available at our spot in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I struck through Irvin, obviously because he went in the first round, and I struck through Polk and Pead, because I think it's pretty safe to say the Giants are going to use BOTH of their first two picks on running backs.

I did like Pead, now I love Ronnell Lewis in the 2nd, but wouldn't be upset at all with Sanu or Crick.

1st Round: Bobby Massie, OT, Mississippi

2nd Round: Isaiah Pead, RB, Cincinatti

3rd Round: Brandon Taylor, SS, LSU

4th Round: Senio Kelemete, OG, Washington

4th Round: Michael Egnew, TE, Missouri

6th Round: Braylon Broughton, OLB, TCU

7th Round: Frank Alexander, DE, Oklahoma

What do YOU guys think?

Didnt we loose a 4th round when we signed Rivers?

Still like Egnew (TE) later on.

Still like CB here in the mid rounds, be it anyone from Donnie Fletcher up to Josh Robinson. My only requirements are a sub-4.5 40 time, at least 190, and 6'0 tall.

Still looking of an OT and WR too.

So, in the 2nd, if Glenn, Martin, Adams, or Massie are there at 63...that'd be my pick.

In the 3rd, Brandon Hardin (FS) is interesting, Greg Childs (WR),

In the 4th, I'm intrigued now a bit by this Greenwood (CB) kid. Good size and speed, but played at a D3 school. Might go with him at the compensatory 4th.

With the other 4th, I'm liking the size/speed of Jaye Howard (DT)

Anyway you slice it, there's still a lot of talent to be had in this draft.

I'm still working scenarios in my brain on how we can end up with either Rueben Randle or Coby Fleener. It's improbable, but I would be ecstatic if we got one of those two guys.

I know Osi and some others are big on Stephen Hill that's still around. But Hill isn't a fit for us, I don't think.

I'm still working scenarios in my brain on how we can end up with either Rueben Randle or Coby Fleener. It's improbable, but I would be ecstatic if we got one of those two guys.

I know Osi and some others are big on Stephen Hill that's still around. But Hill isn't a fit for us, I don't think.

Getting high enough in the 2nd to get Randle, Hill or Fleener at this point seems unlikely....unless there's truth to the Osi/McCoy/pick trade

Osi is the wild card. If they trade him, they could end up with two 2nd rounders. Who wouldn't take Osi and a 4th for their second? If need be, I'd offer Osi and a 3rd for their 2nd.

If we trade Osi to move up to get Fleener I feel We have talk to the Rams not the Browns. Because Fleener will be gone @34

If we trade Osi to move up to get Fleener I feel We have talk to the Rams not the Browns. Because Fleener will be gone @34

No doubt that Fleener is drawing interest in Indy...but they have so many holes that it'd be tough to pin them to a TE, even if said TE does have a connection to their franchise QB.

The five I think we should look at tonight in rounds two and three

1.Trumaine Johnson CB/S Montana

2. Mohamed Sanu WR Rutgers

3.Brian Quick WR Appalachian St

4.Mychal Kendricks LB Cal

5.Dwayne Allen TE Clemson

Round Three

1.Bradon Mosley OT Auburn

2.Chris Givens WR Wake

3.Orson Charles TE UGA

4. Joe Adams WR Arkansas

5.Markelle Martin S OSU