SportsWrath

My 2006 Mock draft

NeMesiS

My 2006 Mock draft.

Normally I would have had my annual Mock draft posted by now. But I found myself fighting on what we need and what is the best available player on the board. My theory is a first round draft pick should contribute to the team right away. (I hope 32 GMs feel the same way) But this year I found it interesting that the Giants really don’t have a lot of major wholes on their roster. We have a lot solid players on our team. However, the only BIG problem I have is on defense. This team has solid players, but what we don’t have is good overall team speed and good run stopping ability. Without question Lavar helps out in that department. Our LB corps was one of the slowest in the league last year. But what about our secondary unit? Lets face it folks, we’re pretty much slow in that department as well. Madison has lost a step; which is perfectly normal for someone of his age. Webster and Demps have never been considered a burner either. The only “burner” we have is Wilson.

I say we focus on those two issues on this draft. Let’s improve our overall speed on the defensive side of the ball. They may not contribute this year, but I can see them making an impact down the road. So lets began, shall we?

Ok, for starters…for those who believe we should take a WR or a RB in the first round. Especially wanting to draft S. Moss. Let me get this off my chest. :doh: You stupid ### #### ### ####! I swear in all my life I have never seen a bunch ### ### ### ###! Don’t ever let me catch you #### ### ####! Is that clear you #### ### ### ####?! :furious:

F####! :furious:

Hmm, hmm. Now, where was I? Ah yes, the first round. Like I stated earlier, a first round draft pick should contribute right away. But unfortunately, with the 25th pick of this years draft I only see 4 possible choices. And that is Gabe Watson, Bobby Carpenter, Thomas Howard and Nick Mangold.

Gabe Watson – I know in the past I’ve been very critical on drafting him. But given the enormous amount of talent this man possesses, I can’t look away.

Positives: Tremendous talent…Takes on double teams automatically. Frees up LBs to make plays.

Negatives: Extremely lazy! Sometime I wonder if he enjoys playing football.

Overall: Hopefully with leadership we have on defense (Pierce, Strahan, Lavar, Madison) somebody would put a foot in his ass and get him going. I read an Article the other day saying how much he has mature towards the end of the season, and how much better he became because of it. Hopefully It’s true.

Bobby Carpenter – probably the safest and most likely to contribute than the other 4 players.

Positives: Consistent and a proven winner. Bobby has great size and pretty decent speed. He can cover, can pass rush and stop the run.

Negatives: Most wonder if his success is due to the fact he played along with A.J Hawk. Doesn’t possess great speed and can sometime miss a tackle or two.

Overall: Because we need a LB with his size (for the run) and cover skills (for the pass) Bobby Carpenter seems like the safest bet.

Thomas Howard – I can see Thomas getting the starting job Mid-Season. He must get better in run situations.

Positive: Thomas is extremely talented. He has all the tool to become a great LB in the NFL. Howard has great speed for a LB and can cover as well.

Negatives: Might be a little undersize. He doesn’t posses great football instincts due to the fact he’s still learning the LB position. He didn’t play against great competition.

Overall: Thomas Howard might have the least chance to start right away. I see him as a Mid-season to 1 year away from starting for the N.Y. Giants.

Nick Mangold – I know it’s very unlikely for the Giants to draft him, but you never know. Tom Coughlin has always believed in smash mouth football and Nick is no stranger to it. It hurts for me to say this because I love the guy. I wish more players played with the same kind of heart and determination as O’Hara does. But the man is constantly over matched. O’Hara is one the reasons why Eli threw off his back foot a lot this past season. If you watch the tapes, like I have, you will see most of the pressure came from the center. Sorry, but it’s true. Mangold could be the missing link to take this offense over the top.

Positive: Nick is awesome pass and run blocker. He’s a born leader and no doubt a future Pro-Bowler. He’s athletic enough to pull for runs and screen passes.

Negatives: He’s a bit stiff when it comes to pass protecting. But overall, there’s really no flaw in his game.

Overall: I have no doubt he will be named the starter in week one. Nick will improve this offense and probably turn it into a Superbowl bound offense.

So who do I pick?

This one was a hard one, but the answer is:

Nick Mangold, center, Ohio State University….Look, Eli is the future of this franchise, whether we like it or not. We must surround him with the best talent available. I think this choice is the best choice the Giants org. should make. We have invested a lot of money on the offense. (Eli, Shockey, Burress, Tiki, Toomer). Why not enriching them with the best tools to be successful?

Surprise Pick!

I would be surprised if we do select Nick Mangold. I’m almost certain EA will select Watson or a LB. But I think for the future of this club, I hope they select Mangold.

Second Round draft pick is:

Daniel Bullocks, safety, Nebraska:

Positives: Bullock possesses great speed (4.35), loves to hit and most importantly makes plays!

Negatives: Bullocks need time to develop and add some more weight (6’ 1” 215Lbs).

Overall: I know we just signed W. Demps. But Demps is too slow. Bullock can sit a on the bench for a year or two, contribute on special teams, and learn and develop into a great player down the road.

Third Round draft pick is:

John McCargo, DT, North Carolina St:

Positive: He’s great against the run. John has great strength and fight off double teams well.

Negatives: Not a great sack guy. Some people wonder if his success was due to the fact he was playing along with Mario Williams and Manny Lawson.

Overall: The choice was not easy, but I picked john McCargo over Dusty Dvoracek because his a better run stuffer than Dusty. And that’s what we need, a better run defender at the DT position.

Fourth round draft pick is:

Clint Ingram, OLB, Oklahoma:

Positive: He has good size (6’2” 245Lbs) and good speed (4.55). He’s aggressive against the run and is a good cover LB as well.

Negatives: Clint might be too aggressive. He needs to be more discipline. Ingram might be a year or two away from starting because of his lack of focus.

Overall: I’ve seen this kid play and I tell ya, he’s going to be great someday. But he needs to channel his energy in a more positive way. Stay focus! For now, he will improve our special teams speed and hopefully Antonio Pierce and Lavar Arrington will take him under their wings and prep him to be a starter for the Giants.

Fifth Round draft pick is:

Darrell Hunter, CB, Miami (OH):

Positives: good height, size (6’0” 205lbs) and speed (4.45). Darrell has great hands and leaping ability. He’s a natural athlete.

Negatives: Had a very disappointing senior year. He sometime can get pushed around by bigger WR. He doesn’t like to help against the run either.

Overall: I picked Hunter over Bassey, because bassey only had 3 career int. Does that remind you of anyone? Darrell Hunter has all the tool to become a shut down corner in the NFL. But he has to develop into aggressive player.

Seven Round draft pick is:

Valentine Chude, MLB, Western New Mexico:

Positives: He has Great size (6’1” 255lbs) and speed (4.60). Also strong as hell; He benched 225lbs 33 times!

Negatives: Played in a small school. He will need time to develop.

Overall: Chude’s stock is rising as we speak. So the chances of him being there in the 7th round is slim to none. But there’s always a chance. I had another prospect in mind in the 3rd and 4th rounds. But it seems kinda of odd that draft experts have this player going in the seventh round or not being drafted at all. Who is this mysterious player? His name is Matt Trannon. Matt plays WR for Michigan State and is listed at 6’6” 225lbs and run a 4.5. I just can’t imagine this guy falling pass the 4th round. But these experts say it, so it must be true.

So, with this Mock draft I addressed 3 issues.

-One, upgrading our offensive line.

-Two, adding more debt and speed to the defense.

-And last but not least, adding run stopping DT to the rotation.

Once again, this mock draft main purpose is to address the Giants glaring need! And that is to upgrade overall team speed on the defensive side of the ball. I understand speed can be overrated. But it is useful, and this team really needs it. However, having said that, by no means do I (beside the 1st round draft pick) expect for any of these player to start right away. If they do, than of course, that’s a big plus for us. I apologize to anyone that might have been offended by me not selecting a RB or a WR in the first round. It must be that comment sense thing getting the best of me again. Sorry.

People, we don’t need a RB in the first round when we have 1 great one, and 2 decent ones. I say we give Brandon Jacobs the rock more this year and see what the man can do beside 3rd and short. Let’s not give up on him just yet, shall we? Beside, all the good RB will come out next year.

Wide Reciever – Yes, I understand we didn’t get much production from the 3rd WR spot. But that’s because they are the very last option in this offense. There are just not enough balls to go around. When you have Tiki, Shockey, Burress, Toomer, how many looks do you expect the 3rd receiver to get? I tell you what, it isn’t a lot. Plus, I’m not going to give up on Taylor yet. I’ve seen this guy play in college and this kid is explosive. I say one more year and then we cut him lose.

Thank you everyone for your time. I hope this was entertaining, as well as insightful.

My 2006 Mock draft.

Normally I would have had my annual Mock draft posted by now. But I found myself fighting on what we need and what is the best available player on the board. My theory is a first round draft pick should contribute to the team right away. (I hope 32 GMs feel the same way) But this year I found it interesting that the Giants really don’t have a lot of major wholes on their roster. We have a lot solid players on our team. However, the only BIG problem I have is on defense. This team has solid players, but what we don’t have is good overall team speed and good run stopping ability. Without question Lavar helps out in that department. Our LB corps was one of the slowest in the league last year. But what about our secondary unit? Lets face it folks, we’re pretty much slow in that department as well. Madison has lost a step; which is perfectly normal for someone of his age. Webster and Demps have never been considered a burner either. The only “burner” we have is Wilson.

I say we focus on those two issues on this draft. Let’s improve our overall speed on the defensive side of the ball. They may not contribute this year, but I can see them making an impact down the road. So lets began, shall we?

Ok, for starters…for those who believe we should take a WR or a RB in the first round. Especially wanting to draft S. Moss. Let me get this off my chest. :doh: You stupid ### #### ### ####! I swear in all my life I have never seen a bunch ### ### ### ###! Don’t ever let me catch you #### ### ####! Is that clear you #### ### ### ####?! :furious:

Hmm, hmm. Now, where was I? Ah yes, the first round. Like I stated earlier, a first round draft pick should contribute right away. But unfortunately, with the 25th pick of this years draft I only see 4 possible choices. And that is Gabe Watson, Bobby Carpenter, Thomas Howard and Nick Mangold.

Gabe Watson – I know in the past I’ve been very critical on drafting him. But given the enormous amount of talent this man possesses, I can’t look away.

Positives: Tremendous talent…Takes on double teams automatically. Frees up LBs to make plays.

Negatives: Extremely lazy! Sometime I wonder if he enjoys playing football.

Overall: Hopefully with leadership we have on defense (Pierce, Strahan, Lavar, Madison) somebody would put a foot in his ass and get him going. I read an Article the other day saying how much he has mature towards the end of the season, and how much better he became because of it. Hopefully It’s true.

Bobby Carpenter – probably the safest and most likely to contribute than the other 4 players.

Positives: Consistent and a proven winner. Bobby has great size and pretty decent speed. He can cover, can pass rush and stop the run.

Negatives: Most wonder if his success is due to the fact he played along with A.J Hawk. Doesn’t possess great speed and can sometime miss a tackle or two.

Overall: Because we need a LB with his size (for the run) and cover skills (for the pass) Bobby Carpenter seems like the safest bet.

Thomas Howard – I can see Thomas getting the starting job Mid-Season. He must get better in run situations.

Positive: Thomas is extremely talented. He has all the tool to become a great LB in the NFL. Howard has great speed for a LB and can cover as well.

Negatives: Might be a little undersize. He doesn’t posses great football instincts due to the fact he’s still learning the LB position. He didn’t play against great competition.

Overall: Thomas Howard might have the least chance to start right away. I see him as a Mid-season to 1 year away from starting for the N.Y. Giants.

Nick Mangold – I know it’s very unlikely for the Giants to draft him, but you never know. Tom Coughlin has always believed in smash mouth football and Nick is no stranger to it. It hurts for me to say this because I love the guy. I wish more players played with the same kind of heart and determination as O’Hara does. But the man is constantly over matched. O’Hara is one the reasons why Eli threw off his back foot a lot this past season. If you watch the tapes, like I have, you will see most of the pressure came from the center. Sorry, but it’s true. Mangold could be the missing link to take this offense over the top.

Positive: Nick is awesome pass and run blocker. He’s a born leader and no doubt a future Pro-Bowler. He’s athletic enough to pull for runs and screen passes.

Negatives: He’s a bit stiff when it comes to pass protecting. But overall, there’s really no flaw in his game.

Overall: I have no doubt he will be named the starter in week one. Nick will improve this offense and probably turn it into a Superbowl bound offense.

So who do I pick?

This one was a hard one, but the answer is:

Nick Mangold, center, Ohio State University….Look, Eli is the future of this franchise, whether we like it or not. We must surround him with the best talent available. I think this choice is the best choice the Giants org. should make. We have invested a lot of money on the offense. (Eli, Shockey, Burress, Tiki, Toomer). Why not enriching them with the best tools to be successful?

Surprise Pick!

I would be surprised if we do select Nick Mangold. I’m almost certain EA will select Watson or a LB. But I think for the future of this club, I hope they select Mangold.

Second Round draft pick is:

Daniel Bullocks, safety, Nebraska:

Positives: Bullock possesses great speed (4.35), loves to hit and most importantly makes plays!

Negatives: Bullocks need time to develop and add some more weight (6’ 1” 215Lbs).

Overall: I know we just signed W. Demps. But Demps is too slow. Bullock can sit a on the bench for a year or two, contribute on special teams, and learn and develop into a great player down the road.

Third Round draft pick is:

John McCargo, DT, North Carolina St:

Positive: He’s great against the run. John has great strength and fight off double teams well.

Negatives: Not a great sack guy. Some people wonder if his success was due to the fact he was playing along with Mario Williams and Manny Lawson.

Overall: The choice was not easy, but I picked john McCargo over Dusty Dvoracek because his a better run stuffer than Dusty. And that’s what we need, a better run defender at the DT position.

Fourth round draft pick is:

Clint Ingram, OLB, Oklahoma:

Positive: He has good size (6’2” 245Lbs) and good speed (4.55). He’s aggressive against the run and is a good cover LB as well.

Negatives: Clint might be too aggressive. He needs to be more discipline. Ingram might be a year or two away from starting because of his lack of focus.

Overall: I’ve seen this kid play and I tell ya, he’s going to be great someday. But he needs to channel his energy in a more positive way. Stay focus! For now, he will improve our special teams speed and hopefully Antonio Pierce and Lavar Arrington will take him under their wings and prep him to be a starter for the Giants.

Fifth Round draft pick is:

Darrell Hunter, CB, Miami (OH):

Positives: good height, size (6’0” 205lbs) and speed (4.45). Darrell has great hands and leaping ability. He’s a natural athlete.

Negatives: Had a very disappointing senior year. He sometime can get pushed around by bigger WR. He doesn’t like to help against the run either.

Overall: I picked Hunter over Bassey, because bassey only had 3 career int. Does that remind you of anyone? Darrell Hunter has all the tool to become a shut down corner in the NFL. But he has to develop into aggressive player.

Seven Round draft pick is:

Valentine Chude, MLB, Western New Mexico:

Positives: He has Great size (6’1” 255lbs) and speed (4.60). Also strong as hell; He benched 225lbs 33 times!

Negatives: Played in a small school. He will need time to develop.

Overall: Chude’s stock is rising as we speak. So the chances of him being there in the 7th round is slim to none. But there’s always a chance. I had another prospect in mind in the 3rd and 4th rounds. But it seems kinda of odd that draft experts have this player going in the seventh round or not being drafted at all. Who is this mysterious player? His name is Matt Trannon. Matt plays WR for Michigan State and is listed at 6’6” 225lbs and run a 4.5. I just can’t imagine this guy falling pass the 4th round. But these experts say it, so it must be true.

So, with this Mock draft I addressed 3 issues.

-One, upgrading our offensive line.

-Two, adding more depth and speed to the defense.

-And last but not least, adding run stopping DT to the rotation.

Once again, this mock draft main purpose is to address the Giants glaring need! And that is to upgrade overall team speed on the defensive side of the ball. I understand speed can be overrated. But it is useful, and this team really needs it. However, having said that, by no means do I (beside the 1st round draft pick) expect for any of these player to start right away. If they do, than of course, that’s a big plus for us. I apologize to anyone that might have been offended by me not selecting a RB or a WR in the first round. It must be that comment sense thing getting the best of me again. Sorry.

People, we don’t need a RB in the first round when we have 1 great one, and 2 decent ones. I say we give Brandon Jacobs the rock more this year and see what the man can do beside 3rd and short. Let’s not give up on him just yet, shall we? Beside, all the good RB will come out next year.

Wide Reciever – Yes, I understand we didn’t get much production from the 3rd WR spot. But that’s because they are the very last option in this offense. There are just not enough balls to go around. When you have Tiki, Shockey, Burress, Toomer, how many looks do you expect the 3rd receiver to get? I tell you what, it isn’t a lot. Plus, I’m not going to give up on Taylor yet. I’ve seen this guy play in college and this kid is explosive. I say one more year and then we cut him lose.

Thank you everyone for your time. I hope this was entertaining, as well as insightful.

Nice mock Nemesis, the only concern that I have is that are all of these guys with that kind of speed going to stay on the board that long, let's face it though speed is a valuable commodity that cannot be taught..... you've either got it or you don't. You can teach running techniqes that can help maybe shave off a tenth or two from you overall time but it's not goint to make a guy like Clarett (who ran almost in the 4.8 range) all of a sudden run a 4.4 fourty.

With that being said I like Mangold but I still think that if you are going to address the O-line in round 1 the Giants should go after an OT, I know that the talent drops off considerably after Justice & Ferguson but I think that center isn't as bad as the tackle situation. With one big push (from someone like DeMarcus Ware) Luke's back can go from problematic to shorting out our offense completely, I know we still have Whitfield as an insurance policy but I have to believe this is a larger problem than center. O'Hara doesn't put us in as risky a position as Luke's injury/false start/inability to pass block effectively does IMO. I'm only going to say that if he fell (depending on how the Giants draft board looks) into the second round I'd take a hard look at (& possibly trade up for) Eric Winston. He's atheletic, hard working & according to alot of scouts the best OT talent to come out of Miami in 15 years, even better than Bryant McKinney. I know about his knee & the fact his stock fell with kind of a sub-par senior year but it's the sort of injury (torn ACL) that comes back stronger after reconstructive surgery but generally takes 1&1/2 to 2 years to be fully recovered, with that being said he does have the one thing you covet in your mock.... speed, for an OT 4.89 is plenty fast & lot of scouts liken him to a young Lomas Brown, he's got good size & strength (6'6'' 310 lbs, 34 reps of 225 on the bench, 345 power clean & a 22 inch vertical leap) & would be a steal if he fell to round 2. Don't overlook him, it would be a mistake considering our need & like you said he doesn't have to start if Luke can hold up for another year or two but thinking long term this is a need position.

Aside from that I really do like your mock with the only other quibble being McCargo, I've got a feeling that's we're looking at the second coming of Ryan Sims (all of his production coming from playing next to elite talent like Lawson & Co.). I would have gone with Dusty given his motor & intensity, I know McCargo is bigger & better suited against the run but I just like hustle over size any day.

Finally, let me just say this;

:LMAO::TU:

Is this your inner Gunny speaking Marine?

That was funny as hell to read this morning & helped me start my day, thanks Nem. :TU::rock:

What I think is that EA will surprise us, once again, with a lot of our picks we have. Either way, EA has proved that he has a golden hand in picking out talent (more in the later rounds than in the earlier though). I'm confident he will choose the right talent.

Nice mock Nemesis, the only concern that I have is that are all of these guys with that kind of speed going to stay on the board that long, let's face it though speed is a valuable commodity that cannot be taught..... you've either got it or you don't. You can teach running techniqes that can help maybe shave off a tenth or two from you overall time but it's not goint to make a guy like Clarett (who ran almost in the 4.8 range) all of a sudden run a 4.4 fourty.

I agree. I used an average projection by the so called expect to determine my mock draft. Obvious I could be wrong becuase very often a player is select ahead of when they are projected to be drafted. But my only concern is Darell Hunter and V. Chude. Bassey is more realistic pick than Hunter. And 3 weeks ago Chude was a UDR. Now it seems might a 7th and 6th round draft pick.

With that being said I like Mangold but I still think that if you are going to address the O-line in round 1 the Giants should go after an OT, I know that the talent drops off considerably after Justice & Ferguson but I think that center isn't as bad as the tackle situation. With one big push (from someone like DeMarcus Ware) Luke's back can go from problematic to shorting out our offense completely, I know we still have Whitfield as an insurance policy but I have to believe this is a larger problem than center. O'Hara doesn't put us in as risky a position as Luke's injury/false start/inability to pass block effectively does IMO. I'm only going to say that if he fell (depending on how the Giants draft board looks) into the second round I'd take a hard look at (& possibly trade up for) Eric Winston. He's atheletic, hard working & according to alot of scouts the best OT talent to come out of Miami in 15 years, even better than Bryant McKinney. I know about his knee & the fact his stock fell with kind of a sub-par senior year but it's the sort of injury (torn ACL) that comes back stronger after reconstructive surgery but generally takes 1&1/2 to 2 years to be fully recovered, with that being said he does have the one thing you covet in your mock.... speed, for an OT 4.89 is plenty fast & lot of scouts liken him to a young Lomas Brown, he's got good size & strength (6'6'' 310 lbs, 34 reps of 225 on the bench, 345 power clean & a 22 inch vertical leap) & would be a steal if he fell to round 2. Don't overlook him, it would be a mistake considering our need & like you said he doesn't have to start if Luke can hold up for another year or two but thinking long term this is a need position.

See, this is where lies the problem for me. I totally agree with you on everything you just say. I would love to have a LT in this year draft. But I just don't see any of the top 4 LT being avialable in the first round. There are way to many teams ahead of us that need a LT. I even though about getting one in the second round. Jon Scott, the LT from LSU and Boise St.(I can't think of thier names for some reason) would be a good pick up for us in the second round. But I don't see them being avialable in the second round either. Hell, I just saw in the local news Houston might trade to move up in the draft to get LT in the late 1st round and moving up to the MID 2nd to get a RT. That's Why I picked Mangold. I actually like Winston. But I don't see him falling to us. He's too good for other teams to pass up.

Aside from that I really do like your mock with the only other quibble being McCargo, I've got a feeling that's we're looking at the second coming of Ryan Sims (all of his production coming from playing next to elite talent like Lawson & Co.). I would have gone with Dusty given his motor & intensity, I know McCargo is bigger & better suited against the run but I just like hustle over size any day.

it's funny you said Ryan Sims, because I was thinking the samething after i made my final decession. But all the scouting reports says he fights off double teams well and on a consistant basis.

Finally, let me just say this;

:LMAO::TU:

Is this your inner Gunny speaking Marine?

That was funny as hell to read this morning & helped me start my day, thanks Nem. :TU::rock:

Yeah, I was affraid people wouldn't get the joke. Its really not how I feel. (well, kinda) Obvious everyone is entitle to thei opinions. I was just joking. :)

I don't see how Thomas Howard can be a consideration but Eric Winston isn't. It's not a major stretch to believe Winston will be there when we pick.

John McCargo is overrated. I've seen a lot of NC State football. The guy never saw a double team in his college career. He could use more size/weight. I simply don't see him as an impact player at the next level.

I like the Bullocks pick.

I don't see how Thomas Howard can be a consideration but Eric Winston isn't. It's not a major stretch to believe Winston will be there when we pick.

John McCargo is overrated. I've seen a lot of NC State football. The guy never saw a double team in his college career. He could use more size/weight. I simply don't see him as an impact player at the next level.

I like the Bullocks pick.

My 4 selection is based on who is good enough and who will be available for us. I agree winston is a way better player. But I just don't think he's going to be available to us.

Nemesis you seem like you put a lot of time and effort into this. It turned out to be a very solid draft on I could definitely live with a look forward to.

Mangold is a very good player and as of right now O'Hara isnt locked up for the future. Mangold would be a very solid choice and would definitely surprise quite a few people.

Bullocks is being talked about as a late first early second. The Steelers have actually talked about taking him at 32. I really doubt he last to the end of the second but if he does I would be pulling for us to select him. He'll most likely be the BPA.

Im glad you have McCargo as a third round prospect because thats the type of talent I feel he is but his stock was on a rise the last few weeks and he could be a early to mid second round selection. If he fell I would be ok with him as our 3rd. If we take him in the second I would be a little upset.

Ingram is a versatile backer and a very solid special teams player. He would be an excellent choice in the 4th.

Hunter is a good developmental type prospect at corner with some real good potential.

Valentine Chude has some numbers that really stand out, I have never seen him play but I would be extremly happy with him as our 7th round pick. I think he would stand a real good chance at making the team if not he seems like a sure practice squad player.