SportsWrath

Can you buy an NFL championship?

BleedinBlue

Some people (including some on this board) are in an uproar over the big name signings this year by the Eagles and Patriots. Some think that this season is basically over for all practical purposes because these two teams have bought themselves a trip to the superbowl. But not so fast!

What they don’t tell you (or perhaps, better put…”probably don’t know any better”) is that unlike baseball and basketball, YOU CANNOT BUY A CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM. For heaven’s sake, just look at the Redskins who have brought in high paid “ringers” year after year after year and have nothing to show for it except getting to draft ahead of every other team in their division come April.

If history has told us anything about football, championship teams come from having a quality QB, good drafts, good coaching, and giving time for players to develop. The longer a player is on a team, the more he understands every little idiosyncrasy of the team and that is priceless. That is why it’s more important to keep a team together than it is to cut players and go on a free agent frenzy.

Drafting well, keeping the team together, solid coaching is the only PROVEN recipe for winning in the NFL. The Packers and Steelers are good examples of teams that have stuck to this recipe and it shows. I think the Giants fit in the same category.

Regardless, I get sick of the people who think this season is already over because the Giants didn’t spend a fortune bringing in big names. The last time we brought in a big name was the year we got Plax and we were in desperate need of a WR to complement Amani Toomer, and it worked.....well, until he shot himself in the leg....dumbass! But paying big bucks to Canty hasn’t turned the team into a championship team. For sure, it's a good strategy to pick up vets on the cheap for backup and some mentoring to the youngsters, but big names often mean big troubles. And if the high priced FA goes down with a major injury, you're on the hook for millions.

One of the problems with building a successful team from the bottom up, is that as stars develop, it oftentimes cost more to keep them than it’s worth because it takes away from the flexibility of keeping the rest of the team intact. And that’s one of the Giants’ problems because they’ve built an incredible defensive line that cost a fortune to keep it going year after year. Thankfully, they have drafted players like Tuck, Kiwi, JPP, etc., in the past few years so there's always a newcomer ready to take over if we can't afford to break the bank keeping a star.

Anyway, we should feel good about this team because it has been built through drafting well and exercising patience and I believe we have good coaches. It wouldn’t surprise me a bit if the Eagles ended up in the middle of the pack in the division. They might win it all, but I suspect they are going to have some big problems getting the team to gel….especially with so many new faces.

There's a lot of truth to your thesis. Free agency, as you alluded to, can be utilized to put a good team over the top. But it can also be a disaster, that ties a franchise up with a bad contract for years, if that player doesn't play up to the contract or just doesn't fit the system as well as anticipated.

The thing is, we have just as many or more stars on our team as the Eagles. Guys that are established stars or guys that are approaching stardom, like JPP and Terrell Thomas. What is usually the difference in an NFL season is health. If we can keep our guys healthy through the regular season, we can win another Super Bowl. Anybody else think Kiwi would've made a little difference in those 2 games vs the Eagles? Or Steve Smith?

If I look at the Eagles, they have a lot of Pro Bowlers that are coming into a new system and haven't played together. These guys are star players:

Nnamdi Asomugha

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

Asante Samuel

Trent Cole

Jason Babin (if he can maintain last year's production)

Cullen Jenkins

DeSean Jackson

Mike Vick

Jeremy Maclin

LeSean McCoy

Jason Peters

But compare that to our players:

Justin Tuck

Mathias Kiwanuka

JPP

Osi Umenyiora (if he plays)

Corey Webster

Terrell Thomas

Kenny Phillips

Antrel Rolle

Eli Manning

Ahmad Bradshaw

Hakeem Nicks

Mario Manningham

Chris Snee

Kareem McKenzie

Of course, there are a lot of things that can happen, and health is always a big issue, but I like our squad... I like them a ton. We easily could've been 2-0 against the Eagles last year. We are close, VERY close, to being a dominant team. As you were getting at, Bleedin', continuity matters, and we have guys that are familiar with Fewell's system now, and Perry has another year... guys that are up and comers that are getting better, like JPP. Kenny Phillips is expected to be more full go and back to himself this year.

If we have some luck in the injury dept, we can definitely go all the way, I'm not scared of the Eagles.

Notice the difference (I'm reposting jim's post with notes):

If I look at the Eagles, they have a lot of Pro Bowlers that are coming into a new system and haven't played together. These guys are star players:

Nnamdi Asomugha (FA)

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (FA)

Asante Samuel (FA)

Trent Cole (DRAFTED)

Jason Babin (if he can maintain last year's production) (FA)

Cullen Jenkins (FA)

DeSean Jackson (DRAFTED)

Mike Vick (FA)

Jeremy Maclin (DRAFTED)

LeSean McCoy (FA)

Jason Peters (FA)

But compare that to our players:

Justin Tuck (DRAFTED)

Mathias Kiwanuka (DRAFTED)

JPP (DRAFTED)

Osi Umenyiora (if he plays) (DRAFTED)

Corey Webster (DRAFTED)

Terrell Thomas (DRAFTED)

Kenny Phillips (DRAFTED)

Antrel Rolle (FA)

Eli Manning (DRAFTED)

Ahmad Bradshaw (DRAFTED)

Hakeem Nicks (DRAFTED)

Mario Manningham (DRAFTED)

Chris Snee (DRAFTED)

Kareem McKenzie (FA)

Our free agents tend to be "missing pieces" to fill a gap or two. For all practical purposes, the Giants have built this team from the bottom up with good drafts.

I don't want to come off like a hater.. and I won't.

The Eagles are NOT the redskins. They have a proven system.. with proven coaching and proven FO. Hats off to them for making those moves.. I'm sure we'd be very ecstatic had our team landed the guys they landed.

Having said that I feel our team is equally superb (I just hope we win.. or sweep this season). We didn't need to sign as many guys because of our cap situation and the fact we have some very good players on our team. The Eagles did this now because they have room under the cap and the fact they feel they're a win-now team... which they are. Don't think they can hold on to that many stars for more than a year or two.

I said before that only the Giants stand in the way of an Eagle's dynasty... and we're up for it.

I actually like the Ronnie Brown signing by them. Every carry that Brown gets is a carry that doesn't go to McCoy or even Weaver, and it's a snap that Vick doesn't get to do his magic with. The Eagles, IMHO, are more dangerous when a Ronnie Brown doesn't get the ball.

I actually like the Ronnie Brown signing by them. Every carry that Brown gets is a carry that doesn't go to McCoy or even Weaver, and it's a snap that Vick doesn't get to do his magic with. The Eagles, IMHO, are more dangerous when a Ronnie Brown doesn't get the ball.

We were the team that stopped the Broncos at 13-0.. we were the team to Stop the Patriots... and now we're called upon again.. this time it's our hated (but respected) rival.

When I think of our best FA signings, I think of Robbins and Kiwiki Mitchell....two vets gotten on the cheap. The ones who left us for big money didn't exactly pan out for the takers (Torbor, Gibril Wilson, etc.).

Teams that have a reputation of putting solid teams on the field year after year use the strategy of drafting well and continuity. Like the ones I previously mentioned, the Steelers and Packers, but also the Cowboys back in the day when Landry ran the team and Bill Walsh's 49ers. Since the Cowboys started buying "name" FA's, they've sucked balls.

I like the Giants' strategy just the way it is. Now if they could only straighten out Osi....the dumbass!

When I think of our best FA signings, I think of Robbins and Kiwiki Mitchell....two vets gotten on the cheap. The ones who left us for big money didn't exactly pan out for the takers (Torbor, Gibril Wilson, etc.).

Teams that have a reputation of putting solid teams on the field year after year use the strategy of drafting well and continuity. Like the ones I previously mentioned, the Steelers and Packers, but also the Cowboys back in the day when Landry ran the team and Bill Walsh's 49ers. Since the Cowboys started buying "name" FA's, they've sucked balls.

I like the Giants' strategy just the way it is. Now if they could only straighten out Osi....the dumbass!

I actually don't think Osi is a good fit for the Giants.. he's talked a lot more than he played.. he thinks he's a superstar which clearly he's not.. easily he's the 3rd or 4th best DE on this team.. that's me putting Kiwi ahead of him and JPP as well.