SportsWrath

Cap Must Be Compliant By Tomorrow (Friday)

BleedinBlue

This certainly explains why the Giants aren't working out a deal with Osi and have yet to sign Boss and Smith.

From PFT:

With CBA coming, salary cap compliance time is at hand

Posted by Mike Florio on August 4, 2011, 9:41 AM EDT

"The NFL and the NFLPA are expected to officially ratify the new CBA on Thursday. Per Mark Maske of the Washington Post, this means that every team must be under the salary cap as of Friday.

On Thursday, we listed the seven teams that need to trim some fat, as of Tuesday. We also have listed the 11 teams with more than $20 million in space, as of Tuesday.

So what of the other 14 teams? Here’s where they stood by way of cap space, as of Tuesday: Redskins ($18.7 million); Colts ($15.7 million); Packers ($15.4 million); Titans ($13.6 million); Saints ($10.5 million); Patriots ($9.2 million); Jets ($7.6 million); Dolphins ($6.6 million); Ravens ($6.6 million); Chargers ($5.0 million); Eagles ($3.8 million); Falcons ($2.6 million); Rams ($490,000);
Giants ($290,000).

During training camp and the preseason, salary cap compliance is determined by looking at the cap numbers for the 51 highest-paid players on the team. Once the season begins, all 53 players plus players on injured reserve must fit under the spending maximum".

Someone in the FO needs to be explaining how the Giants ruined the cap #. And it isn't all Eli either he is costing 8.5 mil against the cap this year according to another forum.

Someone posted an article here about our cap situation not too long ago and it noted that Webster is costing us over $9Mil this season.

Yeah....that's what I see as well...Webster and Canty should restructure. We paid through the ass for Canty and Webster is rolling in the dough. I have to believe Osi and Tuck are worth more than Webster, and certainly more valuable to the team than Canty.

I would hate to be the GM and try to keep a good team happy with their paychecks. I'm sure that's why most teams backload their contracts so they can dump them before the last year or two of the big payday.

For a list of salaries (updated in May, so doesn't include new signings of our free agents and other free agents) click here: Player salaries of Giants

I've said it before and I'll say it again.... there is NO reason to be giving Chris Canty that kind of money. He's arguably our 5th best D-lineman and he's the best paid? WTF?

I don't know what time on Friday that every team has to be under the cap, but there is going to be a slew of cuts all across the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised to see Canty on that list and the Giants pick up another OG from the mass layoffs - one who was overpaid, and now is willing to work for much less. That could've been the game plan of the owners from the beginning of the lockout.....a way to rework contracts for overpaid players.

Antre Rolle makes the same amount as Canty so I wouldn't be surprised to see him forced to restructure or find himself out of a job.

The Giants need the space to sign the Prince as well as Boss (or his replacement). Lot of tough decisions to be made.

Webster I can see the value in. He's a top 10, maybe top 5 player at a thin position, talent-wise. Canty wouldn't even be a top 20 DT but he's the 5th highest-paid DT in the league this season according to this (which has Canty listed as a DE still).

Teams must be in the black by 4:00PM Friday. This updated cap space for the Giants improves about 400k over the earlier post, yet still not much to work with.

From PFT:

"Here’s the info as of Thursday.

The teams with cap space, a day before all teams must be in compliance, are as follows: Buccaneers ($ 29,560,000); Chiefs ($ 28,431,000); Jaguars ($ 28,000,000); Browns ($ 27,620,000); Bengals ($ 27,164,000); Broncos ($26,542,000); Bills ($ 23,460,000); 49ers ($ 22,570,000); Bears ($ 19,300,000); Seahawks ($ 16,387,000); Cardinals ($ 14,603,000);
Redskins ($ 11,450,000
); Packers ($ 11,106,000); Jets ($ 8,920,000); Dolphins ($ 8,446,000); Colts ($7,925,000); Titans ($ 7,127,000); Saints ($ 7,027,000); Patriots ($ 5,264,000); Chargers ($ 5,031,000);
Eagles ($4,604,000)
; Ravens ($ 3,558,000); Panthers ($ 1,915,000); Vikings ($ 938,000); Falcons ($811,000);
Giants ($623,000
);
Rams ($621,000).

The teams in the red are: Raiders ($15,246,000); Steelers ($8,597,000); Lions ($7,793,000);
Cowboys ($6,671,000
); and Texans ($3,358,000)".

Can someone explain how the Eagles signed like 40 ppl to $25million contracts and are still over $4mil under the cap?

Shifting Kolb, who was slated to make starting QB money as a backup and also lost a few starting LBs and Safeties.