SportsWrath

Best Token White Guy's on Defense

HOUND

Money's comment in this thread, motivated me:

Post 15

So here's my list, just off the top of my head, in the last few minutes, of the All-Time Best Token White Defensive Player from each team in the NFL:

NFC East:

Bill Bates - Dallas Cowboys - Late 80's early 90's.

Gary Reasons - NY Giants

Dick Butz - Washington Redskins

-Philadelphia

NFC North

Gary Fencik - Chicago Bears 1985

Chris Spielman - Detroit Lions 1990 ish

Ray Nitschke - Green Bay Packers

Jack Del Rio - Minnesota Vikings

NFC South

John Lynch - TB Bucs

Kevin Greene - Carolina Panthers

Keith Brooking - Atlanta Falcons

- New Orleans Saints

NFC West

Jack Youngblood - Rams

Hacksaw Reynolds - 49ers

Seattle Seahawks ... all the cool players on this team played offense!

Conrad Dobler - Cardinals

AFC East

Mike Vrabel - New England Patriots

Joe Klecko - NY Jets

Jim Haslett - Buffalo Bills

Zach Thomas - Miami Dolphins

AFC North

Tim Krumrie - Cincy Bengals

Tony Siragusa - Baltimore Raisins ugh it pains me to say that.

Jack Lambert - Pittsburgh (Thank you Barens)

Cleveland

AFC South

Mad Dog Curtis - Colts

Blaine Bishop? - Titans He's kinda "off-white"

Dom Capers- Texans

Jack Del Rio - Jacksonville Jaguars

AFC West

Karl Mecklenburg - Denver Broncos

- San Diego Superchargers

- Kansas City Chiefs

Lyle Alzado - Oakland Raiders

Open slots available for Philly, New Orleans, Seattle, Cleveland, San Diego and Kansas City. The Texans are so young I gave 'em their former coach Dom Capers, who's a solid Defensive Coordinator. I just couldn't bring myself to list Seth Payne. Jack Del Rio made it twice! As a player for Minnesota and a Coach for the Jaguars. Anybody who approves putting axes in the lockerroom derserves this distinction.

Before anybody criticizes me for selecting Gary Fencik over Dick Butkus for the Bears I did so for two reasons. First, Fencik's nickname was the "Hitman". Second, Butkus was way too tough to be white.

Edited by HOUND

Hey HOUND long time no see. How have you been? Interesting topic you got here. By the way, I still remember your priceless quote from the story you posted on the Giants Message Board. "If bathrooms could press charges this one would have a great case against me".

Guest CoachLubrano
Coach .. you look like you just allowed the receiver to beat you deep. What's going on?

Check out the number I'm wearing - #70. You don't see a lot of defensive backs wearing that number.

I was playing defensive end. #3 is the quarterback. He's on his way to the ground.

Hey HOUND long time no see. How have you been? Interesting topic you got here. By the way, I still remember your priceless quote from the story you posted on the Giants Message Board. "If bathrooms could press charges this one would have a great case against me".

What's up Ryan? Good to hear from you. My wife and I had a baby in early March so my computer time isn't what it used to be.

Glad to hear the sound of my name illicits bad bathroom memories for you!

Check out the number I'm wearing - #70. You don't see a lot of defensive backs wearing that number.

I was playing defensive end. #3 is the quarterback. He's on his way to the ground.

I dunno Coach ... jersey numbers don't mean much until you're in the NFL. My freshman year of high school I played outside linebacker and wore #62.

You may need to post another photo to convince me here!

Guest CoachLubrano
I dunno Coach ... jersey numbers don't mean much until you're in the NFL. My freshman year of high school I played outside linebacker and wore #62.

You may need to post another photo to convince me here!

Sadly, that's the only picture I can find of me in action.

I sacked that kid twice that game, and once the year before. That picture is one of the many pressures I had on him that game. He had just gotten rid of the ball as I extended my arms and pushed him to the ground - he's on his way to the ground in that shot. He was a pretty athletic kid otherwise I would've been on him before he got a chance to release the ball.

I sacked that kid twice that game, and once the year before. That picture is one of the many pressures I had on him that game. He had just gotten rid of the ball as I extended my arms and pushed him to the ground - he's on his way to the ground in that shot. He was a pretty athletic kid otherwise I would've been on him before he got a chance to release the ball.

Was that at Polk High?

Just kidding.

Had you already shoved him at the moment this photo is shot? If not, and he's already gotten rid of the ball, I might flag you for Roughing the Passer. ;)

Guest CoachLubrano
Had you already shoved him at the moment this photo is shot? If not, and he's already gotten rid of the ball, I might flag you for Roughing the Passer. ;)

Haha actually, it was a little bit late, considering the rules expressly state that you can't extend your arms to push the QB down after he's thrown, but the kid is a real douchebag, I knew him outside of football.

I had already shoved him at the moment the photo was shot.

It's funny you mentioned that because the referee was like, "You're gonna' have to try better than that, 70!"

Pittsburgh has got to be the easiest answer here with Jack Lambert and Jack Ham.

Thank you ... I don't know why I was drawing a blank with the Steelers. I knew there had to be some obvious choices.

Let's go with Lambert.

What's up Ryan? Good to hear from you. My wife and I had a baby in early March so my computer time isn't what it used to be.

Glad to hear the sound of my name illicits bad bathroom memories for you!

I'm doing fine. Like you my computer time has decreased. I'm currently using one at college since the one at home doesn't have the internet. Good to here from you.

The "Token White Guy on every great defense" is my favorite goofy sports theory. That's why it's vital that we bring back Greisen. If something happens to Blackburn, we're screwed!

Recently for the Steelers, Aaron Smith and Chris Hoke have been fine TWGs. Bears have had Urlacher and Hunter Hillenmayer, while the Panthers have Dan Morgan. When Tommy was with the Jags, he had Seth Payne and Rob Meier. At their best, the Titans had Jason Fisk in the middle. Why did the Bucs return to defensive prominence? Because they finally found Lynch's replacement: Chris Hovan. Gruden is smart, too ... he locked up Hovan with a 5-year extension. He also drafted Barrett Ruud last year as insurance.

I should do a "All Time White Guy" roster.

I think there would be a LOT of Montana to Largent, with a bit of Unitas to Alworth mixed in!

That team would have to be a pass first offense. Not too many running backs to choose from. Handoff Larry Csonka! Goal line carries go to John Riggins!

Guest CoachLubrano
Chris Hovan. Gruden is smart, too ... he locked up Hovan with a 5-year extension.

I've always thought Hovan was an underappreciated d-tackle. He's always trying to jump the snap, he's lightning fast off the ball, and he never gives up on a play. Incredible motor.

I've always thought Hovan was an underappreciated d-tackle. He's always trying to jump the snap, he's lightning fast off the ball, and he never gives up on a play. Incredible motor.

The early Chris Hovan was that way. The Chris Hovan in his final two seasons in Minnesota was a bum. Underachieved like crazy. Maybe it's something about being a Minnesota Defensive Player. None of them seem to perform to expectation (EJ Henderson, Udeze, E. James, D. Thomas). Anyway, Hovan needed to get out. The change of scenery seems to have done him good.

Guest Nutty Sack

When we trade Shockey for the number 4 pick in the draft, we'll have AJ Hawk to boats as our token defensive white guy !!