SportsWrath

Cervelli

Lubeck

I know on a lot of forums he is the Blackburn of the Yankee roster but honestly this kid has shown he can get it done. Pitchers consistently do better when he is behind the plate than when Posada is. He hits for above average. He shows the grit and energy you expect from a major league player. And he wants to be better.

This is a special talent and whenever i hear discussion of him being traded I get angry. Not upset angry. This is a player who was doing nothing offensively at AA and was forced into MLB level status because of injury and he responded by being an excellent offensive C. Of course we need some more time to make sure this isn't a fluke but really its been half a season last year and almost half the starts this year and he's hitting over .290 and doing so primarily in clutch situations. And at the same time catching the starting staff with a low ERA.

I don't know how many of you follow the posts at pinstripealley.com but its one of my regular destinations to check on opinion and they have a running joke there that Cervelli is a savior...they even have a serious effort at getting him voted into the all star game but it is a joke to them...but really Cervelli is an all star. Just look at how pitcher stats are when he is catching. Look at his offensive numbers. Does he have power? No fucking way. But he gets on base, has some speed to move, and generates runs.

Well, he sure had a hell of a night last night.

The more I watch him, the more I think he's the real deal. Works the pitchers very well - strong throwing arm with a quick release - and he's doing a bang up job with the bat. Can't ask for more than that.

Cervelli, Romine, Montero= dilemma.

Not really, being that Montero doesnt project to be a starter, Cervelli is and always will be a back up and Romine is that guy. have you seen what he's doing to AA pitching? Its Moteroesque.

Cervelli is a brash kid that seems to thrive in clutch situations, not unlike Thurmon Munson. Only difference so far is, Munson tore up the minors.

Montero is slated to be a slugger, but is rough defensively, not unlike Yogi Berra at that age.

Romine is ready now, which shows how much it sucks to be a Yankee minor leaguer. The fact that he's tearing up AA ball is probably driving Cashman nuts.

Cervelli is a brash kid that seems to thrive in clutch situations, not unlike Thurmon Munson. Only difference so far is, Munson tore up the minors.

Montero is slated to be a slugger, but is rough defensively, not unlike Yogi Berra at that age.

Romine is ready now, which shows how much it sucks to be a Yankee minor leaguer. The fact that he's tearing up AA ball is probably driving Cashman nuts.

With all due respect, Romine is far from ready, he needs at least another full year in the minors. he is one of the youngest players in the eastern league. But he is the yankees starting catcher of the future, make no mistake about that.

I had my doubts about Cervelli as a full time starting catcher in the big leagues, but I've changed my tune. It's nice that he has become a hitter - even a clutch hitter - but the pitching seems to thrive with him behind the plate and that's what I've noticed more than anything. And of course, pitching is what carries the season.

I'm now quite comfortable with Cervelli being heir apparent to Posada. It's nice that he gets to work in slowly and get plenty of big league experience under his belt while not being expected to be a big factor in games.