SportsWrath

Matsui and Damon

BleedinBlue

Personally, I think the Yanks brass should sign both Matsui and Damon (both free agents now). I know they are in the twilight of their careers, but both are still capable of putting up good numbers and both seem to hit in the clutch. I am always suspicious of breaking up a team that has gone all the way, but it seems to be the trend.

I say, "sign them both" at least to a one-year contract and maybe more.

Negative... We need fresh legs on our team. Our team is one of the oldest in the league and I really think the Yankees need to move on.

I disagree somewhat. Matsui was healthy this year and he's a very good DH - and not only against right handers as he hits the snot out of left handers as well (maybe better), which makes for an excellent DH.

I agree we need youngsters coming up through the ranks, but more than anything, we need to solidify the back end of the pitching rotation. And as much as I love Rivera, we need to be finding a young guy for the future closer. I think Mo can do it for another couple of years, but at 40 years old, his future will be on the downside.

So it would be nice to pick up a stud young outfielder or two, but that is not where we are weakest and vulnerable. We need top notch pitching to keep up the caliber of team that wins the whole enchilada. Pitching, pitching, and more pitching.

I disagree somewhat. Matsui was healthy this year and he's a very good DH - and not only against right handers as he hits the snot out of left handers as well (maybe better), which makes for an excellent DH.

I agree we need youngsters coming up through the ranks, but more than anything, we need to solidify the back end of the pitching rotation. And as much as I love Rivera, we need to be finding a young guy for the future closer. I think Mo can do it for another couple of years, but at 40 years old, his future will be on the downside.

So it would be nice to pick up a stud young outfielder or two, but that is not where we are weakest and vulnerable. We need top notch pitching to keep up the caliber of team that wins the whole enchilada. Pitching, pitching, and more pitching.

It makes it more of a dilemma since we also have an aging catcher and SS. You don't want to take either of those bats out of he line up, and although Jeter's holding up now, who knows about next year. The Yanks might be able to squeeze in either Matsui or Damon, but not both.

I totally agree about the pitching. As far as replacing Mo, that's not going to happen, at least not in my lifetime. The guy is unflappable, and it's amazing how often he hits the target a catcher gives him. Until we find someone close, we'll probably have to go by committee.

It makes it more of a dilemma since we also have an aging catcher and SS. You don't want to take either of those bats out of he line up, and although Jeter's holding up now, who knows about next year. The Yanks might be able to squeeze in either Matsui or Damon, but not both.

I totally agree about the pitching. As far as replacing Mo, that's not going to happen, at least not in my lifetime. The guy is unflappable, and it's amazing how often he hits the target a catcher gives him. Until we find someone close, we'll probably have to go by committee.

The Yanks have a few prospects coming up through the system. OF Austin Jackson jumps out at me. But I don't see a Jeter type player coming up. In fact, I'm not sure there will ever be a Jeter-type player to come along in my lifetime. Filling his shortstop shoes, batting, and leadership roles is going to be impossible. So I'm worried there.

I'm not worried about the catcher position because (YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST), in 2011, Joe Mauer will be the Yanks starting catcher and Posada will be either a backup or take a coaching position.

I have a hunch the Yanks will be focusing on Roy Halladay to solidify their pitching staff this off season.

The Yanks have a few prospects coming up through the system. OF Austin Jackson jumps out at me. But I don't see a Jeter type player coming up. In fact, I'm not sure there will ever be a Jeter-type player to come along in my lifetime. Filling his shortstop shoes, batting, and leadership roles is going to be impossible. So I'm worried there.

I'm not worried about the catcher position because (YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST), in 2011, Joe Mauer will be the Yanks starting catcher and Posada will be either a backup or take a coaching position.

I have a hunch the Yanks will be focusing on Roy Halladay to solidify their pitching staff this off season.

TO hell with Halladay, go after Lee. The Phillies don't seem to be making signing him a priority. Whoever goes will be missed. I'm glad they (Damon and Matsui) got rings in the final years of their contracts with the Yanks. I trust Cashman and the Steinbrenners to figure it out. Next year should be interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't mind keeping either at half price. Damon gets things going and Matsui can still swing a bat. While they both can make plays, we definitely need to get younger. I'm betting they are both going to be allowed to walk and the Yankees pickup another smart old outfielder. Mauer is the free agent to get down the road and he won't come cheap. I did hear an interesting idea thrown around about trading Chamberlain this offseason.