SportsWrath

Giants Team Needs

BigPete

THR lists the giants team needs (in order of priority) as

DT, LB, S, OC, CB

After thinking on this a bit, this makes alot of sense

DT is a real need, particularly with Robbins and Bernard being up there age-wise. Even with Alford coming back, a stud DT to groom for the future will be our biggest need.

LB was admittedly a surprise. We do have alot of talented players, but other than Pierce (who has issues in coverage), the LB group has yet to stand up. I am not so sure we don't have the guys to get the job done already the roster, but at the same time, we can certainly upgrade with a top talent.

all in all I would prefer have this as the #3 need, but I can understand this being the #2 need for this team

S Phillips and Johnson are a solid pair of starters Brown offers solid experienced depth and Rouse adds more experienced depth and special teams play. This is a very solid bunch, but one we can upgrade.

OC as our #4 is reasonable, although personally I think a case for it being our #3 or even #2 need can be made. O'Hara is the starter, but is up there age-wise. Koets is being groomed as his eventual replacement, Boothe can also fill in; both youngsters should continue to improve. Seubert and Snee can both also play center if needed. I think the best option is to bring in a quality talent to develop as the future anchor of the line. but admittedly, this is a luxury.

CB Somewhat surprisingly this is listed as our #5 need. Webster, Ross, Thomas, Dockery and Johnson are a very good young group who should continue to improve. We probably could use a #6 CB (for 10 DBs), for better depth. Once again though, this is a luxury pick.

The other positions are very solid

what does everyone else think?

It looks at this stage a strong possibility that 2010 will be an uncapped year.

This will mean that

• The top eight playoff finishers from the previous season would be allowed to sign free agents only at the rate at which they lose them.
  • Players would need six NFL seasons to be eligible for free agency, rather than four.
  • Each team would be allowed to restrict two eligible free agents with "franchise" or "transition" player tags, rather than one.

For the Giants it will mean:

1. Domenik Hixon, Sinorice Moss, Guy Whimper, Barry Cofield, Dave Tollefsen, Gerris Wilkinson, Kevin Dockery and CC Brown would no longer be free agents
  2. Fred Robbins, Danny Clark and David Carr will be our only free agents
  3. Assuming we finish in the top 8 teams, we could only sign free agents as Clark, Robbins and Carr sign elsewhere
  4. The Free Agency pool will be a lot smaller, Pat Kirwin suggests there would be more than 170 less players available.

Assuming 2010 is uncapped and teh giants finish in the top 8 teams (both strong possibilities at this point), the Giants will likely have little/no opportunities to sign any significant free agents and would have to use the draft almost exclusively to improve the team. Having said that, this team is in excellent shape for long term success.

It looks at this stage a strong possibility that 2010 will be an uncapped year.

This will mean that

• The top eight playoff finishers from the previous season would be allowed to sign free agents only at the rate at which they lose them.
  • Players would need six NFL seasons to be eligible for free agency, rather than four.
  • Each team would be allowed to restrict two eligible free agents with "franchise" or "transition" player tags, rather than one.

For the Giants it will mean:

1. Domenik Hixon, Sinorice Moss, Guy Whimper, Barry Cofield, Dave Tollefsen, Gerris Wilkinson, Kevin Dockery and CC Brown would no longer be free agents
  2. Fred Robbins, Danny Clark and David Carr will be our only free agents
  3. Assuming we finish in the top 8 teams, we could only sign free agents as Clark, Robbins and Carr sign elsewhere
  4. The Free Agency pool will be a lot smaller, Pat Kirwin suggests there would be more than 170 less players available.

Assuming 2010 is uncapped and teh giants finish in the top 8 teams (both strong possibilities at this point), the Giants will likely have little/no opportunities to sign any significant free agents and would have to use the draft almost exclusively to improve the team. Having said that, this team is in excellent shape for long term success.

great post. I agree, the Giants will not benefit from the uncapped salary with the rules implemented. The Giants have a good young core for the most part and I trust Reese to get the best out of the draft and develop. I couldnt agree more Pete, the Giants will be a good team for many, many years to come. Theyve really done a nice job and have become a model franchise similar to the Patriots.

I couldnt be happier with the team and the direction theyve gone

O'Hara is 32. He hasn't had major injuries to date, so all things being equal, he should be good to go until his contract is up. That's not to say don't draft a center, but there's no urgency.

Personally, I'd rather see a guard groomed for Seubert. But MacKenzie is the only one that make me nervous health-wise.

DT isn't that urgent, either. We just signed Canty, and even if Bernard and Robbins go, we'll probably sign Cofield and have Alford on the roster. We'd be drafting a DT to groom.

Believe it or not, I'd put DE over these two positions. I'd be surprised if we're able to re-sign Kiwi (he wants to start, and who can blame him?), leaving us with just Tollefson as a backup. With Osi's tendency to miss a few games every season, and Tuck tending to be banged up towards the end of seasons, that's a scary proposition.

We've got a lot of LBs, but most of them at this point seem to be maybe. Maybe Boley is as good as advertised: it's too early to tell. Maybe Sintim was a good pick, we really haven't seen much of him. Kehl is missing something, as is Wilkinson. Goff runs hot/cold in the preseason, and Clark is what he is--a competent journeyman. And I love Blackburn coming off of the bench.

DeOssie isn't a linebacker.

Safety scares the hell out of me. Even if Phillips comes back next year, the arthritis isn't going to go away, so he's going to be on on a shorter career-track. So long term, that really doesn't leave us much more than Johnson. That would be my top priority in the draft, unless one of the practice squad kids develop over this season.

There are always a lot of variables here but the short answer is Reese has tremendous instincts when

it comes to his Job. (GM) He has a great feel for talent vs money vs time.

His ability to develop talent is great so this continued building process will benefit all Giants fans as long as

Reese is at the helm and the good news is he is a young guy so live long and prosper!!!

I wouldn't say the team would be necessarily worse off in an uncapped year, we would be able to keep the core of guys together, which has been a big part of success. Most of our team is very young.

I think Reese and Ross have done an excellent job of building the team, largely through the draft.

I could see DE becoming a need but it really isn't at this point,

the secondary could become a more urgent need depending on the long term prognosis of Phillips knee

totally agree that we should consider a kicker and also thaty DeOssie is not a LB but a LS

I am not sure about Guard, I think the front office are very happy with Boothe and Koets inside

In the end it will come down to value in each round on draft day