SportsWrath

Mets (31-25) vs. Phillies (33-23) Series Thread

RandolphScott

Mets bound to get Martinez at-bats.

WASHINGTON -- For rookies, there is a fine line between sitting too much and getting exposed. When that rookie is a 20-year-old, the line is even thinner.

Mets manager Jerry Manuel estimates he'll have to find 250 at-bats for Fernando Martinez in order to justify keeping the promising young outfielder in the Major Leagues.

"I believe if we can get him [250 at-bats] with the addition of Winter Ball, for me, that would be enough," Manuel said Sunday. "The experience you get here, being in these stadiums, maybe not playing every day, but playing enough to say you can expect a good at-bat. It also depends on how he handles it. If you play him three days a week and you're not seeing good swings or you see him caught in between or lost, then you have to make a decision."

The Mets, who will make many more decisions during Tuesday's First-Year Player Draft (live coverage on MLB.com and MLB Network beginning at 6 p.m. ET), made a decision Saturday night, keeping Martinez while designating right-handed-hitting Emil Brown for assignment. The move was made necessary by the activation of Ryan Church from the 15-day disabled list. Now, the Mets face the possibility of a lefty-heavy lineup with both Church and Martinez, even when the opposition throws a left-handed pitcher.

"With the way we're set up, one of those guys will have to bat against left-handed pitching. It all depends on how they're swinging," Manuel said. "If [Martinez is] swinging good, with the potential power that he has, I'd love for him to be the guy."

Church returned to the lineup for the first time Sunday since straining his right hamstring May 23. He started in right field and went 2-for-5 with a double and a run scored.

"Ryan came out of Spring Training as our right fielder. That's what we'd like him to be, our right fielder," Manuel said. "The flexibility comes down to left field, with [40-year-old veteran Gary Sheffield], I am trying to cut back on the everyday playing time and keep him as fresh as possible, but at the same time, keep him sharp. You have to balance that with also getting at-bats for Fernando Martinez. If we can manage those two things, which I think we can, we should be able to keep everybody sharp."

Manuel has experience in working young prospects into a veteran outfield. This situation should give the veteran manager little trouble.

"We had that situation in Chicago with Aaron Rowand," Manuel said. "Aaron Rowand basically was kind of like what Jeremy Reed is doing now, going in late and playing defense. In the American League, it's a lot tougher. Here, you can get the pinch-hits, the defensive replacements that might still get an at-bat because you switch or flip-flop. It would be a little easier to do here than it would be in the American League."

Martinez -- who went 1-for-5 with a double, RBI and two runs Sunday -- might see some time on the bench, as Phillies manager Charlie Manuel will use lefties J.A. Happ, Cole Hamels and Jamie Moyer in their upcoming series at Citi Field.

"Oh, that Charlie Manuel, he's something else, ain't he," Manuel said to laughter. "He knows I'm struggling now against lefties. But it's OK. That's good. We'll be alright. It should be fun."

Pitching matchup

NYM: LHP Johan Santana (7-3, 2.00 ERA)

Santana uncharacteristically surrendered run-scoring extra-base hits to left-handed hitters in his most recent start, Tuesday night against the Pirates. The successive doubles in the sixth were his undoing. He lost for the second time in nine starts. Now, because of the rainout in Pittsburgh on Thursday, Santana faces the Phillies at home, where he seldom loses, rather than the Nationals on the road. He threw seven scoreless, two-hit innings against the Phillies at Citi Field in a game the Mets won, 1-0, May 6. The Mets have won Santana's last three starts against the Phillies.

PHI: LHP J.A. Happ (4-0, 2.48 ERA)

Happ is coming off the longest stint of his brief career. He went seven shutout innings against the Padres, allowing just four hits. He struck out four and walked two in the Phillies' 5-1 victory over the Padres. He threw 112 pitches, 71 for strikes. He began the season in the bullpen before being moved into the rotation on May 19. He pitched six strong innings against the Yankees in New York, allowing two runs on four hits. The Phillies are 6-2 in his eight career starts. He has made 15 appearances, three of them as a starter, this season.

Tidbits

David Wright stole his 14th base in the first inning, taking second with no throw on a wild pitch. On the next pitch, Wright scored on Daniel Murphy's opposite-field single. ... Manuel admitted that it seems the rest of the league has figured out Murphy. The Mets first baseman went the opposite way for singles in his first two trips, before flying out, walking and grounding into a double play Sunday. Murphy is batting .247 after going 4-for-18 on the road trip. ... Right-hander Bobby Parnell recorded a fly out to the lone batter he faced Sunday, wrapping up a road trip in which he tossed 1 2/3 innings in three games, scattering two hits and a walk with one strikeout. He is unscored upon in nine of his past 10 outings, yielding one earned run in 6 2/3 innings.

Wow, this HUGE ballpark and great pitching has thankfully shut down overrated Ibanez. Has that ball landed yet?

On a side note Ryan Church, did ZILCH with the bases loaded and is still stuck on 8 rbis, or 1/8 of what ibanez did tonight.

Keep up the great work Churchy :TU:

Ok all kidding aside, Ryan Church is absolutely fucking horrible. A ground ball to the 1bmen. Albeit the guy was SAFE but come the fuck on, your SUPPOSED to be a run producer.

Stuck on 8 rbis ..... Can I get some agreement that this guy sucks ass?

thats a good win, but the Mets still left way too many runners on base. I am starting to think getting an OF thumper and letting Murphy and Tatis play 1b until Delgado comes back is the way to go.

Alex Cora was a very good pickup and Omar deserves some credit for that one.

Johan's missing something on his fastball.

He was very pedestrian tonight, I don't think Jerry should have sent him in for the 8th. I have the text to prove it :blush:

Johan is Johan, probably going through some dead arm...hes a 2nd half pitcher anyway and if he can get wins while struggling I am fine with it. He keeps them in games even when hes not himself. I think we have gotten to the point where a 4 run game is awful for him.

Jerry prolly should have taken him out, but 88 pitches is not that much. Good win tonight.

I agree with Jerry yanking him after 88 pitches. We are going to need this guy much later in the season. If they just could manage to play a little better than .500 baseball, they should be in prime position when everyone comes back.

Anyway, which big bat do you think the Mets try to trade for? Or who would you like?

I agree with Jerry yanking him after 88 pitches. We are going to need this guy much later in the season. If they just could manage to play a little better than .500 baseball, they should be in prime position when everyone comes back.

Anyway, which big bat do you think the Mets try to trade for? Or who would you like?

I think Holliday costs too much, but obviously he is the guy, although the Coors splits are scary.

I believe that you could get Carlos Lee or Lance Berkman. Probably could get lee as a salary dump in a deal for Oswalt as well, kind of like we will give you Oswalt for Fmart and prospects but you have to take Lee too. Bad ofer but can hit.

Adam Dunn I guess, but does not interest me.

Maybe Mark DeRosa, but does he have enough power and run producer abilities?

Josh Willingham might be cheap and I always liked him with the Marlins.

Aubrey Huff, whom I like a lot.

I think Holliday costs too much, but obviously he is the guy, although the Coors splits are scary.

I believe that you could get Carlos Lee or Lance Berkman. Probably could get lee as a salary dump in a deal for Oswalt as well, kind of like we will give you Oswalt for Fmart and prospects but you have to take Lee too. Bad ofer but can hit.

Adam Dunn I guess, but does not interest me.

Maybe Mark DeRosa, but does he have enough power and run producer abilities?

Josh Willingham might be cheap and I always liked him with the Marlins.

Aubrey Huff, whom I like a lot.

Brad Hawpe?

Jesus this team can hit, but there is no power, no XBH ability whatsoever. Its not the park either cause these numbers are similar on the road. I have to assume this is just a cycle and the homers will start to fly soon. Shit I will take back to back doubles at this point.