SportsWrath

Mets (31-25) vs. Phillies (33-23) Series Thread

RandolphScott

We can't score runs late it doesn't matter.

Forget manny why didn't we sign this guy?

Daniel Murphy that's why. We thought we were set with this guy in left.

The guy is having a career year so far. But he's 37 and got a 3 year deal at over $10 million a year. Maybe he would've been worth it, but I have to believe that a guy his age is going to lose some bat speed sooner or later, and that's a lot of money and years to spend on a 37 year old.

But you're right, the Mets figured that Murphy and/or F-Mart would be the answer at some point. It's a long season.

The guy is having a career year so far. But he's 37 and got a 3 year deal at over $10 million a year. Maybe he would've been worth it, but I have to believe that a guy his age is going to lose some bat speed sooner or later, and that's a lot of money and years to spend on a 37 year old.

But you're right, the Mets figured that Murphy and/or F-Mart would be the answer at some point. It's a long season.

After two years of failure even if the Mets knew the benefits would last one year they still had to give it a shot. With a relatively thin system and the third oldest team in the league I just can't believe we weren't really interested in him.

After two years of failure even if the Mets knew the benefits would last one year they still had to give it a shot. With a relatively thin system and the third oldest team in the league I just can't believe we weren't really interested in him.

I do see your point gateb, but in a couple of years the Phils will be paying a 40 year old left fielder $10 million. Maybe we'll win the division that year. This team's problem I still think is between the ears, and it is most apparent when they play the Phillies.

For a team that lacks power as much as the Mets do, Manuel should just play Church nearly everyday, at least until Delgado comes back, because Church has at least the threat of going deep, as shown when he hit it into the apple. He was getting a lot of respect from Phillies' pitchers last night and he hit the ball hard 2 out of three times the night before.

I don't know, I'm sick of the heartbreaking losses!

They own us, simple as that. They have better players, tougher players and an overall more potent lineup. What more is there to say?

The Mets need to start coming to the realization that they are gonna have to stay aflot till they get back reyes or delgado or add a bat and fight for the WC. This Phils team is not gonna relinquich the NL east this year and heaven help us when they add another starter.

The case has been rested on Ibanez, guy has not missed a game in 3 years, is good for 30 homers and 100 rbis every year and can hit, even in citifield. No use talking about that one anymore.

LOL this team blows. What the fuck was Manual thinking keeping Takahashi in there.

I think he was thinking lefty on lefty, but it really doesn't matter with Ibanez. I would rather have had Stokes, but if Ibanez takes him deep then everyone says, "why didn't you keep the lefty on lefty matchup?"

They own us, simple as that. They have better players, tougher players and an overall more potent lineup. What more is there to say?

The Mets need to start coming to the realization that they are gonna have to stay aflot till they get back reyes or delgado or add a bat and fight for the WC. This Phils team is not gonna relinquich the NL east this year and heaven help us when they add another starter.

The case has been rested on Ibanez, guy has not missed a game in 3 years, is good for 30 homers and 100 rbis every year and can hit, even in citifield. No use talking about that one anymore.

Not to split hairs, but this will be only the second time in his career that Ibanez has hit even 25 homers. His previous high is 33. Usually he's around 20 homers a season, but he will probably touch 40 this year. He is a great hitter.

I think he was thinking lefty on lefty, but it really doesn't matter with Ibanez. I would rather have had Stokes, but if Ibanez takes him deep then everyone says, "why didn't you keep the lefty on lefty matchup?"

Takahashi is .400 against lefties. Those numbers don't lie and it was a fucking horrible decision to keep him in there. I have jumped off the Jerry bandwagon. I am sick of his bonehead decisions. Get the Razor Shines the fuck away from third base.

Takahashi is .400 against lefties. Those numbers don't lie and it was a fucking horrible decision to keep him in there. I have jumped off the Jerry bandwagon. I am sick of his bonehead decisions. Get the Razor Shines the fuck away from third base.

Wow, lefties are hitting .400 against him? Holy crow, didn't know that, I guess I don't even want to know what righties are hitting off of him! Seriously, if he's that bad, he shouldn't even be up with the big club.

I also agree that Jerry has mismanaged this team quite a bit. He's been wishy washy with his players, particularly his outfielders, and Razor is terrible.

In all honesty think about this, the Mets are missing huge offensive numbers with Delgado and Reyes out. Forget Delgado and his 100 runs and 115 rbis, but Reyes changes how you pitch to this ENTIRE lineup, especially when he is on base. The 2 -5 hitters see better pitches when he is on and the 6-9 hitters do as well as teams do not want to put runners on and have him drive in runs from the leadoff spot. The Mets sorely miss him, from top to bottom.

As for Ibanez, I would be happy if he were a Met and had 12 homers and 40 rbis and a 290 average. Omar needs to get a thumper and if he does Jerry needs to let Murphy play 1B everyday. I think its clear Tatis best abilities are playing once every three days.

Manuel gets some credit for piecing this together, but the Mets need some sort of presence in this lineup other than Wright and Beltran.

I find it more than ironic that this thread started with a statement about Ibanez being "over-rated". ;)

Seems he put the period at the end of that statement, last night.

Good series, once again. While I am happy with the outcome, I will admit I have a certain fear about playing the Mets...everytime. I doubt that will ever change, no matter how many times we come from behind to win.

I find it more than ironic that this thread started with a statement about Ibanez being "over-rated". ;)

Seems he put the period at the end of that statement, last night.

Good series, once again. While I am happy with the outcome, I will admit I have a certain fear about playing the Mets...everytime. I doubt that will ever change, no matter how many times we come from behind to win.

You haven't been following this board, have you G-girl? The "over-rated" comment was sarcasm on xxi's post. There's history on here that predicated it.

You haven't been following this board, have you G-girl? The "over-rated" comment was sarcasm on xxi's post. There's history on here that predicated it.

Although I will admit I have been a bit "absent" from running my mouth on the board (still have this superstitious thing about me) I have read plenty. Not sure what section this "history" is...but xxi makes no bones about his distaste for the Phillies--and I can appreciate that. Mine is probably the same for the Mets, but that's what makes us great fans of the game.

Carry on. I will continue to read. :geek:

Perhaps next time, you will catch my ;) at the end of the sentence.

;)

Although I will admit I have been a bit "absent" from running my mouth on the board (still have this superstitious thing about me) I have read plenty. Not sure what section this "history" is...but xxi makes no bones about his distaste for the Phillies--and I can appreciate that. Mine is probably the same for the Mets, but that's what makes us great fans of the game.

Carry on. I will continue to read. :geek:

Perhaps next time, you will catch my ;) at the end of the sentence.

;)

No I got the ;), but really, xxi has been singing the praises of Ibanez since the Phils got him, prior to the season, so the "overrated" comment was just a jab at me, who has been critical of the Phils acquisition of him... I did not want him on the Mets. Hope this clears things up, Miss Smart Ass! :P

Ok all kidding aside, Ryan Church is absolutely fucking horrible. A ground ball to the 1bmen. Albeit the guy was SAFE but come the fuck on, your SUPPOSED to be a run producer.

Stuck on 8 rbis ..... Can I get some agreement that this guy sucks ass?

I absolutely would agree with this, but I just don't see him getting a fair shake from Manual. His management of Church is absolutely mind boggeling. The guy has kept the team afloat, but I just don't get it. Church starts the year raking, completely on fire, and what does Jerry do? Sit him for some Sheffield playing time. :blink: The guy hits a home run, looks like he might start getting in a rythm, and Jerry gives him a day off. I just don't fucking get his logic. Let the guy get some momentum and see what he can do for Gods sake.

Not to keep this debate rolling, but who the hell could tell if he would even have a fraction of those number with Manual giving him every 3rd day off. I know thats probably not realistic, but who could tell? I don't like Jerry's style. I think he is hurting Murphy also. He was just starting to go the other way and he sat him down for 3 fucking games!?

Those two losses were kick me in the balls fantastic by the way. :furious:

thank you for clearing that up AJ, I never have thought that Ibanez was overrated, in fact I think he and Abreu were the best options for the Mets this off season and am very bitter we did not sign him.

Ggirl I do hate the Phils, but I respect them and know they are a good team, probably one of the top 3 in baseball and like I said if they get a front line starter look out.

As for the Mets, if we can stay in it until health/reinforcements permit we have the look at the very least of a team that shows grit. Plus we have Johan and KROD, the best starter and closer in the NL.