SportsWrath

When is the nfl

K3VIN

Ward hit on Rivers

Well take a look at this and tell me which way you think Rivers was looking.

Looking at that clip, it doesn't really matter where Rivers was looking. Rivers had a bead on whoever 89 is. If Ward doesn't throw that block, Rivers gets the tackle.

It always amazes me how anyone except the person throwing the block/tackle knows whether or not it's 'dirty'. To me, 'dirty' would be hitting with intent to do harm, not just stop a play. Some hits may appear to be dirty, but who really knows what was intended, most of the time.

That would have been a 15 yard penalty if a WR got hit like that.

Looking at that clip, it doesn't really matter where Rivers was looking. Rivers had a bead on whoever 89 is. If Ward doesn't throw that block, Rivers gets the tackle.

It always amazes me how anyone except the person throwing the block/tackle knows whether or not it's 'dirty'. To me, 'dirty' would be hitting with intent to do harm, not just stop a play. Some hits may appear to be dirty, but who really knows what was intended, most of the time.

That would have been a 15 yard penalty if a WR got hit like that.

If he was trying to tackle after an interception? To be honest Ward was little dirty as he was clearly trying to knock him out and did lead with his head. That being said Rivers was clearly a tackler in the play and Ward was just blocking.

The problem is that more and more of these rules are making playing defense all about line play now (stop the run and pressure the QB). How are LBs and secondary players supposed to tackle effectively if they can't do anything? Also blindside and defenseless are very vague terms that could mean anything. Rivers wasn't blindsided because he was clearly in the play and if he isn't paying attention then it isn't Ward's fault. Really these rules should read that if you lay a player out be prepared for a penalty or fine or both because they are too ambiguous to be meaningful.