SportsWrath

Duaner Sanchez cut by the Mets

Allstarjim

ESPN

Couldn't this have waited until later in the Spring? Do the Mets feel that they can give an honest assessment after just 5 innings in the Spring? They cited his lack of command... and he had walked 6 batters so far, but he had also struck out 4, and isn't command something that is a work in progress during the Spring? Why can't they say what this is really about.... MONEY. There is no reason to cut a guy with a 3.60 ERA so far after only a few appearances in Spring Training. It's Spring Training!

So they are going to save themselves about $1.5 Million. After last year's bullpen fiasco, after NOT getting another lefty reliever (citing Duaner's crossover ability), they pull this shit. Fuck you, Omar. This is the kind of stuff that pisses me off.

ESPN

Couldn't this have waited until later in the Spring? Do the Mets feel that they can give an honest assessment after just 5 innings in the Spring? They cited his lack of command... and he had walked 6 batters so far, but he had also struck out 4, and isn't command something that is a work in progress during the Spring? Why can't they say what this is really about.... MONEY. There is no reason to cut a guy with a 3.60 ERA so far after only a few appearances in Spring Training. It's Spring Training!

So they are going to save themselves about $1.5 Million. After last year's bullpen fiasco, after NOT getting another lefty reliever (citing Duaner's crossover ability), they pull this shit. Fuck you, Omar. This is the kind of stuff that pisses me off.

Um, yeah that was pretty freakin premature. :brooding:

Lefty Will Ohmen is still a free agent and this is possibly what the Mets are doing by saving money. Lets face it, Sanchez is finished. He has lost his velocity and hasn't done his job in rehabbing his shoulder. I liked the guy but he hasn't been the same since his ride in the taxi that one night in 07. Plus this gives us more options in the pen like Parnell.

Lefty Will Ohmen is still a free agent and this is possibly what the Mets are doing by saving money. Lets face it, Sanchez is finished. He has lost his velocity and hasn't done his job in rehabbing his shoulder. I liked the guy but he hasn't been the same since his ride in the taxi that one night in 07. Plus this gives us more options in the pen like Parnell.

Damn taxi's :mad:

IF they sign Will Ohman than I will not be angry with this move. And I will say this about Sanchez, he was not as good as before the taxi incident, but he was one of our better relievers last year. He was not the problem. I would not be surprised if he latches on with someone else and builds upon last year with better results. But I doubt that the Mets will sign Ohman. I think this Bernie Madoff thing has something to do with the making of this roster this year, and had this Ponzi scheme never have happened, I'm not sure Duaner is let go not even two weeks into March.

IF they sign Will Ohman than I will not be angry with this move. And I will say this about Sanchez, he was not as good as before the taxi incident, but he was one of our better relievers last year. He was not the problem. I would not be surprised if he latches on with someone else and builds upon last year with better results. But I doubt that the Mets will sign Ohman. I think this Bernie Madoff thing has something to do with the making of this roster this year, and had this Ponzi scheme never have happened, I'm not sure Duaner is let go not even two weeks into March.

Based on ERA alone he was the 5th best reliever behind Wagner, Shoeneweis, Stokes, Smith and Feliciano in a bull pen that was horrid last year. I liked Goggles too, but he wasn't the same guy and apparently management has seen enough to be confident that he never will be, at least in the immediate future. This is one of those times where you have to put aside a good memory of one season and recoup some money. It's easy to say that it's ONLY 1.5 mil when it's not your money.

As far as the Ponzi scheme goes, it seems to me that we signed the best closer on the market. I don't think they were too tight with the wallet.

ESPN

There ya go Jim, get angry at the Wilpons too. Its a sad state of affairs when our large market team, that is going to raise its prices on EVERYTHING they can this year and in this economy WILL MAKE 20% more profit has to cut a guy to recover the 1.5 million dollars to possibly use on something else.

Not saying that Sanchez should or should not have been cut, but I think this clearly shows where the Wilpons overall cash flow is at.

Listen, mws, I respect what you have to say, but it's just the timing. How can they know right now the guy isn't going to be able to turn it around? Last season was his first full season back from his accident, and this is so premature. For a guy like Duaner, the least they could do was wait until final roster cuts before making the decision. The timing of this cut tells me that it was more about saving $1.5 mil than anything else. I just think with the way the bullpen destroyed our season last year, a wild card like Duaner should be given every chance to succeed, and IMO they didn't give that to him when he doesn't even make it halfway through the Spring.

Parnell, Kunz... yeah, I like those guys, but they are unproven and that is a chance that after last season, I think you just have an open as a competition as you can for as long as you can, so you make absolutely sure you are putting the best bullpen out there that you possibly can.

1.5 is nothing to the Mets and the Wilpons, sorry xxi and all star, I don't agree with you here.

I think a guy like Parnell or O'Day would be a better fit in the Mets pen. It's good they are

cutting all the dead weight from the past 2 debacles though.

1.5 is nothing to the Mets and the Wilpons, sorry xxi and all star, I don't agree with you here.

I think a guy like Parnell or O'Day would be a better fit in the Mets pen. It's good they are

cutting all the dead weight from the past 2 debacles though.

If 1.5 million is nothing why not let the man go the entire spring training and make for more competition. My guess is the Mets have such a strict payroll that that 1.5 is earmarked for something else.

Either way its a win win, Dauner is through.

If 1.5 million is nothing why not let the man go the entire spring training and make for more competition. My guess is the Mets have such a strict payroll that that 1.5 is earmarked for something else.

Either way its a win win, Dauner is through.

You know, after reading the stuff I have about Duaner being out of shape and never really getting his velocity back, I may have jumped the gun a little with my outrage! :angel:

But I still believe the Mets are a lefty reliever short, and I don't think Villone is the answer.

You know, after reading the stuff I have about Duaner being out of shape and never really getting his velocity back, I may have jumped the gun a little with my outrage! :angel:

But I still believe the Mets are a lefty reliever short, and I don't think Villone is the answer.

agreed especially when you take into account how lefty heavy the Phils are with Utley, Howard and now Ibanez.

Listen, mws, I respect what you have to say, but it's just the timing. How can they know right now the guy isn't going to be able to turn it around? Last season was his first full season back from his accident, and this is so premature. For a guy like Duaner, the least they could do was wait until final roster cuts before making the decision. The timing of this cut tells me that it was more about saving $1.5 mil than anything else. I just think with the way the bullpen destroyed our season last year, a wild card like Duaner should be given every chance to succeed, and IMO they didn't give that to him when he doesn't even make it halfway through the Spring.

Parnell, Kunz... yeah, I like those guys, but they are unproven and that is a chance that after last season, I think you just have an open as a competition as you can for as long as you can, so you make absolutely sure you are putting the best bullpen out there that you possibly can.

All fair points. Maybe they should have given him the rest of the spring for the competition aspect, but they see the guy everyday. If they were sure in their minds that he's done, I don't blame them for not wanting to waste the money for nothing.

This comment is a little late as I see you have subdued your fury. :TU: