SportsWrath

DON'T SIGN HIM

Lughead

New York Giants' Gettleman a candidate for Browns' GM job

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger Tuesday January 20, 2009, 8:18 PM

Giants director of pro personnel Dave Gettleman, who was a candidate for the Chiefs' general manager position that recently went to Scott Pioli, interviewed with the Browns last week about their vacant GM spot, according to two people familiar with Cleveland's GM search who requested anonymity because of the private nature of the situation.

One of the people confirmed Gettleman met with the Browns in person, though it's unclear where that interview took place. It's also uncertain if Gettleman is a leading candidate for the job, as the Browns have spent the past two days meeting with Ravens director of pro personnel George Kokinis. According to the Cleveland Plain-Dealer, there is "no indication that an offer to become the team's general manager was made" to Kokinis.

Retired Giants GM Ernie Accorsi is serving as a consultant for the Browns during the team's search. It's likely he endorsed Gettleman as a candidate.

Gettleman, who turns 58 next month, just wrapped up his 11th season with the Giants - the last 10 of which he's been the team's director of pro personnel. In his current role, Gettleman plays a big part in determining which players the Giants will pursue in free agency or via trades, so he's been a big factor in turning the Giants into perennial contenders recently.

Gettleman is a 23-year NFL veteran who's been a part of five Super Bowl teams: the Bills in 1990 and '91, the Broncos in '97 and the Giants in 2000 and last season. Through his interviews with Kansas City and Cleveland, he's finally receiving league-wide recognition as a top-notch talent evaluator.

If Gettleman is hired by the Browns, the Giants will have lost the head of their pro scouting department with the start of free agency looming on Feb. 27. The Giants might hire or promote someone to replace him - perhaps assistant director of pro personnel Ken Sternfeld. But like any team, they have been preparing for the signing and trading period for months - with Gettleman at the helm, of course. So it's not like they'd be unprepared for the start of free agency.

According to the roster page at Giants.com, the team signed DT Anthony Bryant, a 3-year veteran who was drafted by the Buccaneers in the sixth round of the 2005 draft.

MG

Gilbride isn't going to get hired anywhere...do you think us fans are the only ones who know that he sucks? trust me the rest of the NFL knows as well.

It was reported anonymously throughout the league when mention was made of Gilbride becoming the Giants offensive coordinator people rolled their eyes and basically said the Giants can kiss a consistent offense goodbye.

It was reported anonymously throughout the league when mention was made of Gilbride becoming the Giants offensive coordinator people rolled their eyes and basically said the Giants can kiss a consistent offense goodbye.

.....and one Superbowl later.....

He may not run the ball enough for my taste (personally, I think Eli should throw around

25 passes per game, obviously barring any circumstances like the way defense is playing,

weather, etc) but the guy pulled the reigns on Eli during last year's playoff run and did it

during this season.

If Eli connects on some of those passes the Giants maybe in Tampa right now.....

.....and one Superbowl later.....

He may not run the ball enough for my taste (personally, I think Eli should throw around

25 passes per game, obviously barring any circumstances like the way defense is playing,

weather, etc) but the guy pulled the reigns on Eli during last year's playoff run and did it

during this season.

If Eli connects on some of those passes the Giants maybe in Tampa right now.....

they didn't win the Superbowl because of Gilbride...that superbowl team won on the immense pass rush they had...Tom Brady didn't have time to breathe back there.

they didn't win the Superbowl because of Gilbride...that superbowl team won on the immense pass rush they had...Tom Brady didn't have time to breathe back there.

Wait I didnt know you could win a game but not scoring any points? Quick someone notify the league!

Oh wait..how many TD's did Osi/Strah/Tuck run and pass for that season? I mean they we're the "only" reason we won.

I wish we didnt score any points against Tampa, Dallas, Green Bay or New England...then we would of won the proper way...on our immense pass rush.

:LMAO:

Yeah our pass rush was one of the main seasons why we won the Superbowl...but last time I checked NE was still able to put 14 points up on the board, so who had to call the plays to respond to those 14 points? Man I guess Strahan must of been.

Wait I didnt know you could win a game but not scoring any points? Quick someone notify the league!

Oh wait..how many TD's did Osi/Strah/Tuck run and pass for that season? I mean they we're the "only" reason we won.

I wish we didnt score any points against Tampa, Dallas, Green Bay or New England...then we would of won the proper way...on our immense pass rush.

:LMAO:

Yeah our pass rush was one of the main seasons why we won the Superbowl...but last time I checked NE was still able to put 14 points up on the board, so who had to call the plays to respond to those 14 points? Man I guess Strahan must of been.

your post by far has to be the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life..I wasn't going to respond because of such stupidty, but apparently you are so blinded by it that I had to make you aware of just how rediculous you sound. How'd that #1 offense of New Englad do against our defense? oh that's right they were held to 14 points there lowest total all season long.

your post by far has to be the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life..I wasn't going to respond because of such stupidty, but apparently you are so blinded by it that I had to make you aware of just how rediculous you sound. How'd that #1 offense of New Englad do against our defense? oh that's right they were held to 14 points there lowest total all season long.

Umm after this post and your calling mine stupid? :rolleyes:

I never knew someone could think the only reason we won the Superbowl was because of our D. Infact go back and re-read my post...if you actually can read an entire post and not just the first couple of lines.

"Yeah our pass rush was one of the main seasons why we won the Superbowl."

I know our D was one of the main reasons that we one for the very point you stated that we held the number one O in the league to only 14 points. However to say that it's the only reason we won when we had to throw up 17 points ourself is just ludicrous and beyond idiotic. I'm not saying the D didnt play great in the Superbowl and was a key factor to our win. I'm just saying it wasnt the only reason, Gilbride and the O had to do something as well...but I guess they dont count.