SportsWrath

K-rod a Met

GorillaNJ

AS VEGAS (AP) — Francisco Rodriguez became the first top-tier free agent to reach an agreement when he decided to join the New York Mets, and Kerry Wood was on the verge of striking a deal with the Cleveland Indians at the winter meetings. Coming off a record 62 saves for the Los Angeles Angels, Rodriguez reached a preliminary agreement Tuesday on a $37 million, three-year contract with the Mets, desperate for bullpen help.

The sides still have to work out a written agreement and the pitcher must pass a physical, two people familiar with the negotiations said Tuesday. They spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the contract had not yet been completed.

"He's pretty special," said Los Angeles Dodgers manager Joe Torre, familiar with K-Rod from his days managing the New York Yankees. "You got tired of looking at him in October. I mean, he had a lot of success against us and he's certainly that dominant guy out there, and he's very durable."

This is the guy they needed and they got him. I think he's going to be a HUGE hit in NY. Others claim that he pitched too much last year, and that arm will be tired. I agree with the first part of the sentence, but with proper rest, which Manuel will give him, he will be more than fine. They got the dominant closer they need. So many of the games I watched last year, I saw the Mets could not get that late game strikeout when they needed it. Now they have one of the best guys at doing just that.

I like this guy and believe he is the 2nd or 3rd best closer in baseball.

Couple things to keep in mind, if people hate the excesssive Met ceebrations now wait until they see this guy. He makes Reyes look like he is in a coma. THis will piss people off, I say fuck it.

He does have some violent motion an has lost velocity, but its not like he is throwing 85 MPH he is still 93 94.

He is not afraid of the big game, like our former closer.

I think it's a good signing. This is one piece that they got out of the way. Next is getting a setup man. Possibly trading Heilman and another piece to the Rockies for Street. Then they have to find a second baseman who is not Castillo and a catcher. Maybe a corner outfielder too. Then maybe the guys in the bullpen go back to their specialization duties and aren't asked to do more like this past year.

Here's part of Mike Scioscia's press conference earlier today

Well, you lose Frankie?

Mike Scioscia: I think Francisco, he got a terrific deal from the Mets, and he's going to do a great job for them. I think as much as we'd love to have him in an As uniform, it's something that's not going to happen. He's going to do a great job for the Mets.

What are the Mets getting?

Mike Scioscia: I think they're getting a guy that not only has the physical talent to close and close not only games that are important during the regular season, he's got great postseason experience. I don't know that I've met a guy mentally as tough as Francisco on the mound, and he can turn the page as well as anybody I've been around on the tough game, and maybe if there was a blown save -- I haven't been around guys that can turn the page and were ready to go the next day, and I think that's going to be important. It was important for us and it's going to be important for New York.

How well is he suited for New York?

Mike Scioscia: Well, besides his talent, his talent plays anywhere, and I think that if you're a closer and you have that mentality, you should be able to pitch anywhere, and Francisco certainly does. He has that makeup, he can pitch in any city at any time, and he's going to go out there. He's not intimidated by any situation on the baseball field, and he'll be able to handle whatever pressures might be perceived to be from pitching in New York.

There was a bit made of the fact that his velocity this year was not -- he's maybe throwing 92 now as opposed to 97 or 98.

Mike Scioscia: He never threw 97 or 98. If you look at where he was six or seven years ago when we saw him, he might be talking about a two-mile-an-hour variance, but it's more than made up with the command and his breaking ball, which has remained very, very sharp, and he's come up with a change-up which is as good as any change-up that I've seen.

I think that if you look at Francisco, where he is, where his stuff is, he's got terrific stuff, great makeup, had a record-setting year for us, and I don't see any issue that's going to affect him as far as what his long-term health projections are, and if he's going to maintain his stuff. His stuff is as good as it's ever been, and although the fastball might not be 94 but it's 92, that's not an issue. He's got plenty of fastball.

Does the league change mean anything, or is that overblown?

Mike Scioscia: One thing about Francisco, Francisco is extremely intelligent, and I think there are going to be -- you're facing new hitters, new tendencies. I think he'll have a little bit of advantage as pitchers do with going around first-time match-ups around the league, but one thing that Frankie has shown is his ability to adapt, not make the same mistake twice to a hitter if he gets beat on it and maybe understand what a hitter's tendencies are and feed off of them. He'll figure it out.

So sure, there's going to be some changes when you cross over, but just like a hitter going to a new league, there's a little bit of give and take, I think, in the beginning, but he'll be fine.

http://angels.scout.com/2/819915.html

I think it's a good signing. This is one piece that they got out of the way. Next is getting a setup man. Possibly trading Heilman and another piece to the Rockies for Street. Then they have to find a second baseman who is not Castillo and a catcher. Maybe a corner outfielder too. Then maybe the guys in the bullpen go back to their specialization duties and aren't asked to do more like this past year.

I read yesterday that we offered Heilman straight up for Street and Colorado said they wanted Heilman and Feliciano.