SportsWrath

Mets sign Francisco Rodriguez.

Taylorized56

I still don't like the idea of paying a closer 15 mill per but if it's true that he'll drop his asking price then that's a different story.

K-Rod is looking to pitch in the same town as A-Rod. The Mets will have a new closer next season, and Francisco "K-Rod" Rodriguez wants to be the guy who fills their most pressing need when free agency starts at midnight tonight. Fresh off a record-setting 62 saves for the Angels, the 26-year-old All-Star right- hander will vie with the Rockies' Brian Fuentes for the attention of general manager Omar Minaya as the Mets look to replace Billy Wagner, who will miss the entire 2009 season because of Tommy John surgery. Minaya is keeping his plans close to the vest, but a person familiar with the team's thinking said the Mets will pursue a closer right out of the gate in free agency, with starting pitching, corner outfield help, second base and possibly catcher lower on the list of priorities. K-Rod's agent told The Post yesterday that Rodriguez is excited about the Mets and considers them "a good fit" among the four teams supposedly hottest in pursuit of the strikeout artist. "K-Rod's pitched in high-pressure games, he's been in a pretty big market since he was 19 years old and thrives on it," said agent Paul Kinzer, who wouldn't name the other three clubs interested in his client. "New York and the Mets are very attractive to him."

New York Post

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/77452

From metsblog.com

In a recent post to his blog for ESPN.com, Jayson Stark cites executives with two different teams as essentially saying, the Mets are ‘all in’ on Francisco Rodriguez, ‘regardless of what you have heard.’

In fact, the two executives predicted to Stark that Rodriguez will eventually drop his asking price to a three-year deal.

…this is basically what we have all been saying could happen…i’m glad to see the industry alluding to it as well…

…the more and more i think about it, and the more and more people i talk to about the specific players, the more and more i believe K-Rod should be this team’s next closer…a) he is an immediate, perfectly-prescribed pill for the massive hang-over from the end of last season…and b) of all the potential closers, short of Bobby Jenks, who would cost talent in trade, K-Rod is electric, high-energy, he loves the big game, has pitched in a major market, and appears to be a guy who thrives on pressure…and, as you know, he will be faced with tons of pressure the first time he steps to the mound at Citi Field…there will be no time to waste…

http://www.metsblog.com/2008/11/13/buzz-me...rod-like-abreu/

I would be happy with Fuentes as well. I also read that we might be interested in trading for Bobby Jenks but I just don't see that happening.

Thoughts?

If the Mets decided to sign Fuentes instead of Rodriguez...I'd be one pissed off fan.

Fuentes couldn't close in the media hot bed of Colorado (where the Rockies, aside from 2007 suck

balls and all they talk about is: 1. The Broncos, University of Colorado Football and 3. The Nuggets.

No one in Colorado cares about baseball, but we're looking to sign a guy who LOST his job

during the best season the Rockies have ever had.

He's Billy Wagner lite. Fuck this guy.

I would rather have Kunz no use for this guy.

By all accounts...the only pitch he can throw is a fastball and many scouts believe

he can only be a situational bullpen guy.

I'm sorry, but when you have the chance to get a 26 closer for 4 years...you've got to

jump on that chance. Omar was willing to give 34 year old Billy Wagner a 4 year deal, why

isn't he willing to do that to K Rod?

By all accounts...the only pitch he can throw is a fastball and many scouts believe

I'm sorry, but when you have the chance to get a 26 closer for 4 years...you've got to

jump on that chance. Omar was willing to give 34 year old Billy Wagner a 4 year deal, why

I agree, I was going to write something but I got caught up in something. Anyway Kunz has been horrible in the AFL so far. In over 12 innings, his ERA is above 12.00 with two saves and a few blown saves and the guys he is playing against are not major leagues yet. I would be willing to put all my eggs in a basket for a 26 year old closer. The Mets probably would have made the playoffs is Wagner was healthy and this guy is a big upgrade.

Oh do no get me wrong, I really do not want Kunz either, its just that I have so little regard for Fuentes I would rather Kunz, shit I probably would rather have Parnell. No use for Fuentes.

I agree go get Krod. They will probably overpay and he will probably blow some saves, but he is better than the little rdneck and certainly better than anything we have had since Randy Myers. Do it Omar. He fits the citeria, young, talented and of course latin.

How about Bobby Jenks? Jenks is a year older than KRod. The Mets might have to part with FMart in order to deal for Jenks and I am not ready for this though. I am not ready to give up on FMart. He is playing well in fall ball and seemed to find some power. Maybe this is the year he finally makes it to the majors.

How about Bobby Jenks? Jenks is a year older than KRod. The Mets might have to part with FMart in order to deal for Jenks and I am not ready for this though. I am not ready to give up on FMart. He is playing well in fall ball and seemed to find some power. Maybe this is the year he finally makes it to the majors.

How many years in a row has Martinez been 19 years old?

I feel like we've been hearing about this guy and his talent for a decade.

I would pass on trading for a closer because we can just sign one through free agency w/o having to give up any prospects and Jenks won't come cheaply.

86er, F-Mart isn't 19 anymore...he just turned 20 on October 10th :P . Seriously though he's doing pretty good in the winter leagues, at least at the plate from what I've read.

From what I've read the Mets won't give KRod his asking price, but the market appears thin anyways, so they won't have to. I think KRod is THE fit the Mets are looking for. The wild card here is that Heilman wants to start or be traded. In the ESPN article I read, JJ Putz, should he be on the trade market, would be at the top of the Mets' list. Heilman and a prospect for Putz? I could see it happen.

But really, I would just sign KRod. The only downside is that he is still going to have to be one of the highest paid closers, and we still owe Billy Wagner $10 million and a $1 million buyout.

• 3 weeks later...

Not official yet but it looks like it's gonna happen.

The New York Mets are reportedly closing in on a three-year deal for free-agent reliever Francisco Rodriguez.

Sports Illustrated, the New York Post and Newsday reported that the team has offered K-Rod a three-year deal. It is a one-year increase over the two years and $24 million the team is said to have initially offered Rodriguez, who broke the major league single-season saves record last season with 62.

Sports Illustrated and Newsday reported that the deal is worth about $37 million. "It's going to get done,'' a person familiar with the talks said, according to SI.com.

Rodriguez's agent, Paul Kinzer, said, "I am more optimistic than I have ever been" about finalizing a deal between K-Rod and the Mets, according to the Post. "We will know more in the next 24 hours, but so far everything has been positive."

FoxSports.com previously had reported that the Mets had offered Rodriguez a third year.

The Mets, whose bullpen was a major culprit in the team's September collapse, are in need of a front-line closer to replace the injured Billy Wagner, who likely will miss all of 2009 following elbow surgery.

The contract would pay Rodriguez about $3 million more than he was offered by the Los Angeles Angels in spring training and $6 million less than Wagner's deal with the Mets, according to SI.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3756383