SportsWrath

Manny: Yes or No?

mickeef2

What makes this interesting is that there are so many factors at play here for the Yankees.

-He's probably the greatest right-handed hitter that your main rival has ever had, and he obviously has bitter feelings toward them.

-He just single-handedly carried a team from the middle of the pack to the NLCS.

-His skills seemed to be diminishing before he switched leagues. Was this a result of unhappiness, or pitchers who knew how to get him out?

-Signing him would go against your desire to get younger and build from within.

-You haven't had great luck lately with free agents.

-You need a right fielder, and right field in Yankee Stadium is relatively easy defensively.

-He's almost 37 years old.

-He has a history of lackadaisical play and attitude, and your manager is a no-nonsense guy.

-He has roots in the city.

-You're moving into a new ballpark, and there's at least a slight need to make a splash after missing the playoffs.

When all is said and done, I just don't think they're gonna be able to resist. I think the thing they'll keep coming back to is what he did for the Dodgers. Blu, I don't think any of the things you said about LA will matter to him if the Dodgers don't write the biggest check.

His age is sure a gamble, even with only a 3 yr contract. On the plus side, it would take a lot of pressure off the big wuss hitting in front of him. I think he would be primarily a DH in NY. The problem there is what to do with Matsui.

I would go for it. Wtf, it ain't my money.

His age is sure a gamble, even with only a 3 yr contract. On the plus side, it would take a lot of pressure off the big wuss hitting in front of him. I think he would be primarily a DH in NY. The problem there is what to do with Matsui.

I would go for it. Wtf, it ain't my money.

Haha, that's the spirit. Seriously, how could you not want Manny if you were a Yankee fan? Because he played for the Red Sox? I never understood that logic. Anyway, yeah, he would probably have to play out in the field because your other options are Matsui and Damon. Sad to say, I think Manny's a better outfielder than either one of them.

Haha, that's the spirit. Seriously, how could you not want Manny if you were a Yankee fan? Because he played for the Red Sox? I never understood that logic. Anyway, yeah, he would probably have to play out in the field because your other options are Matsui and Damon. Sad to say, I think Manny's a better outfielder than either one of them.

I suppose we could argue about this all day, but I think Matsui and especially Damon are way, way better. Remember, we're not talking about LF shoe box of Fenway. The problem with Damon is he can no longer do it every day. (I hope Girardi and Cashman learned that lesson.)

I don't want Manny because he played for you guys. It's because, as I stated, he would take the pressure off Arod. Then again, we did get some ex sox players over the years that worked out great for us. :P

I suppose we could argue about this all day, but I think Matsui and especially Damon are way, way better. Remember, we're not talking about LF shoe box of Fenway. The problem with Damon is he can no longer do it every day. (I hope Girardi and Cashman learned that lesson.)

I don't want Manny because he played for you guys. It's because, as I stated, he would take the pressure off Arod. Then again, we did get some ex sox players over the years that worked out great for us. :P

Make up your mind. You wouldn't take him because he would take pressure off of A Rod?

Isn't that Jeter's job too? Oh wait, I forgot...they hate each other.

I don't want Manny because he played for you guys. It's because, as I stated, he would take the pressure off Arod.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I meant that many Yankee fans said they didn't want Damon (right after they signed him) or don't want Manny, because they were on the Sox. I just want good players on my team, who cares where they're from (and hey, if I can tweak my rival in the process, all the better!). Sox fans and Met fans do it, too, but it seems to be much more widespread among Yankee fans.

Guest StrahansGap

I would sign him under 1 condition: He will be fined 1 years salary if he showboats in pinstripes. If he hits a homerun he is not allowed to fling his bat and wait at home plate for 10 seconds before he starts his slow jog around the bases. If he agrees to that, then give him as much money as he wants for as long as he wants. ;)

I would sign him under 1 condition: He will be fined 1 years salary if he showboats in pinstripes. If he hits a homerun he is not allowed to fling his bat and wait at home plate for 10 seconds before he starts his slow jog around the bases. If he agrees to that, then give him as much money as he wants for as long as he wants. ;)

I keep forgetting the Yankees are the bastion of moral principal in baseball. :rolleyes:

I think the yankees are going to go with Nady in rf. The yankees need to sign or trade for at least 1 outfielder. Id love to have Manny, but he is more of a dh. if they can trade Matsui for Dejesus, I all for it.

I think the yankees are going to go with Nady in rf. The yankees need to sign or trade for at least 1 outfielder. Id love to have Manny, but he is more of a dh. if they can trade Matsui for Dejesus, I all for it.

That's one negative point I forgot to list above. The Yanks need to get better defensively in the OF, and adding Manny doesn't exactly head you in that direction (However, I still think he's a better option defensively than Matsui or Damon).

That's one negative point I forgot to list above. The Yanks need to get better defensively in the OF, and adding Manny doesn't exactly head you in that direction (However, I still think he's a better option defensively than Matsui or Damon).

If speed is the key, and I think it is, the Yankees had a good outfield with Damon, Melky, Gardner, and Abreu. We were doing good with them and making a come back until it was tinkered with.