SportsWrath

Oh well

so-cal dub

That's what I said last year.

Interesting winter, though. Who do you sign, and who do you let walk?

Giambi

Abreu

Pudge

Pettitte

Moose

Damon

I'd like to keep Damon, Abreu, and now Moose. Pettitte and Giambi I'm no longer sure about, and I don't know why they even traded for Pudge. A panic move, I think. Like sending both Melky and Gardner down and playing the same tired fielders every day.

I imagine the bidding will be high for Sabathia and Teixeira, and maybe even Burnett to keep him away from Boston. They'll probably trade Melky away, which would be a mistake, IMO. Gardner's fast, and has a good arm, but he doesn't get the jump on the ball the way Melky does, and I doubt if he ever will.

That's what I said last year.

Interesting winter, though. Who do you sign, and who do you let walk?

Giambi

Abreu

Pudge

Pettitte

Moose

Damon

I'd like to keep Damon, Abreu, and now Moose. Pettitte and Giambi I'm no longer sure about, and I don't know why they even traded for Pudge. A panic move, I think. Like sending both Melky and Gardner down and playing the same tired fielders every day.

I imagine the bidding will be high for Sabathia and Teixeira, and maybe even Burnett to keep him away from Boston. They'll probably trade Melky away, which would be a mistake, IMO. Gardner's fast, and has a good arm, but he doesn't get the jump on the ball the way Melky does, and I doubt if he ever will.

I'd like to get a legit CF of all. Damon can walk. The only person I want to come back is Mussina. If we get Tex, see ya Giambi. Pudge will get us 2 picks with his departure. Pettitte is washed up. Abreu is questionable.

I'd like to get a legit CF of all. Damon can walk. The only person I want to come back is Mussina. If we get Tex, see ya Giambi. Pudge will get us 2 picks with his departure. Pettitte is washed up. Abreu is questionable.

Well, I can see two brilliant minds don't think alike. I think Damon and Abreu are definite keepers.

I'll have to think about it later.

Right now, I'd let them all go. All of them are going to regress and I don't know if Damon's noodle arm and Abreu's overrall crappy defense in RF is worth bringing back.

Abreu's not that bad. He'd afraid of the fences is all, and I've been seeing a slight improvement on that. He is one of our dumbest base runners though. I'm not sure Nady would be a replacement because I don't remember him even getting close to the fences to catch a ball.

We gotta keep Damon at least till Gardner's ready.

Abreu's not that bad. He'd afraid of the fences is all, and I've been seeing a slight improvement on that. He is one of our dumbest base runners though. I'm not sure Nady would be a replacement because I don't remember him even getting close to the fences to catch a ball.

I don't know if Gardner will ever be able to hit better than Melky on a Major league level. But, he's more of an offensive threat than Melky, just because he's so damn fast. If I had to choose, I'd rather keep Damon over Abreu.

Maybe not for their prices, but Abreu and Damon both fit into the Yankee mold hitting .300 with a .370 OBP each. As far as defense goes, you need a premier center fielder, but you're one year too late for that. I agree a lot with So-cal, Mussina, one of the smartest pitchers in baseball, is someone you can trust to pitch intelligently. As far as Pettite goes, there's a reason he was mulling retirement when Clemens left. Giambi...he has a 5 million dollar buyout and a 22 million dollar option, so you'll be spending money on him anyway...but that's a huge coin flip. I don't know as much about your internal options like I used to (not gonna lie, I stopped paying attention when you fell out of the race). Pudge, no fucking reason to keep him. I can see a team signing him for 7-8 million, despite his plummet, to see if he could do for them what he did for the '03 Marlins.

So, sign Mussina, let Giambi go, let Pettite go, and, depending on the price tag, keep one of Damon or Abreu.

For discussion's sake, here's a list of the 2009 Free Agents

Unfortunately, CF looks bleak, with the best options being Rocco Baldelli, Mark Kotsay, and...Corey Patterson or Scott Podsednik...hah.

Most of the available outfielders are older...scanning over these lists, I'd have to think the best options are Adam Dunn (who'd perform like Giambi this year), Milton Bradley (injury-prone), Pat Burrell (Eeps), and Manny Ramirez. I dunno, I think the most important decision is how aggressive they plan on being and if they're going to concentrate more on pitching or offense. I can definitely see the Yankees getting at least one of Sabathia and Teixeira, and then everything else will play out after that. There are other good pitching options...Lowe, Sheets, Prior, Pavano. I think the Yankees will be vary wary about injuries, since Hank did his fair share of complaining this year, which leads me to believe that they'll be wary of all of Sabathia's innings and push hard for Teixeira.

Trades are damn hard to get a gauge on. But, honestly, as much as they need a Sabathia type ace, who they haven't had since Clemens', he's thrown a lot of innings...and every round the Brewers make it forward will make him less attractive. So your rotation is what so far? Wang, Chamberlain, Mussina*...and who? I don't see them flip flopping on Hughes this early, especially after his performances in the AAA playoffs...but still.

I dunno, I'm just musing...I need to do some research and I'll get back to you.

Why, why, why, why...Damon fucking sucks dude. He has no range and suck at the plate. Why do people love this guys?

Why, why, why, why...Damon fucking sucks dude. He has no range and suck at the plate. Why do people love this guys?

Because he gets on base often and is one of the few players who was consistent throughout the season? There are few players who I would want to keep after this season but he is on the short list.