SportsWrath

The New Golden Age of Giants Football...

Allstarjim

...Is upon us. Fans older than 27 or so will remember the last golden age, a team that boasted a defense so dominant it earned the moniker, The Big Blue Wrecking Crew. Led by Lawrence Taylor, Harry Carson, Carl Banks, Gary Reasons, Jim Burt and Leonard Marshall, the defense dictated games and punished opponents. The offense, led by Phil Simms along with Giants greats Mark Bavaro, Ottis Anderson, Joe Morris, and Maurice Carthon, physically dominated opponents with long, spirit-destroying drives.

That was the Giants of the mid 80's through '91. Giants fans will always remember the joy of watching a team that defined the blue-collar persona of the NY Giants. Now, following an unprecedented upset in beating the Patriots to become SuperBowl champions last season, the Giants are poised to again have a sustained reign of dominance in the NFC East. And this time, they may end up with more than just two Lombardi trophies.

Consider that last year, the Giants were the third youngest team in the NFL, and are led by an emerging franchise QB. That QB also has a young premier WR, and the Giants are loaded with RB talent in Jacobs, Bradshaw, and Ward. But the hallmark of the offense is an offensive line that is as steady and consistent as any in the NFL. With Kareem McKenzie, Chris Snee, Shaun O'Hara, David Diehl, and Rich Seubert, the unheralded group may soon realize the league-wide recognition it has earned and deserves.

And talk about a wrecking crew! This defense has the potential to stand with that '86 team as the best defenses ever. A relentless defensive line that boasts two soon to be perennial Pro Bowlers in Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora, a run stuffing stalwart in Fred Robbins, and the over-achieving and solid Barry Cofield, quarterbacks will be running for their life all season long, whether or not genius d-coordinator Steve Spagnuolo decides to blitz (which he will, and often). I would be remiss if I failed to mention Antonio Pierce, the new unquestioned leader of the defense after certain Hall of Famer Michael Strahan retired, whose intensity and leadership reverberates throughout the entire team, on the field and in the locker room. With Aaron Ross and Corey Webster, indications are good that the team has at least two pretty good corners. If Kenny Phillips and Mathias Kiwanuka realize their potential, and early indications are good, then this team will be one of the all-time great defenses in NFL history.

Of course, the team needs to stay healthy, and a team with as much talent as the Giants, egos must be held in check. But my fellow Giants fans, we may be witnessing a Giants team that will truly be remembered as one the best in team history. and never have Giants fans had so much reason for optimism as they do when looking at this team. The next golden age has dawned.... now let's play football!

Great post Jim! But you forgot to mention the best player on the team, Jeff Feagles. :)

Thank you! Of course Feagles is the master of the coffin corner! Truly an underrated weapon the Giants possess! Hamp, I can't remember a year when I was this excited about the Giants, they truly have the potential to be dominating, and I can't wait for September 4th!

...Is upon us. Fans older than 27 or so will remember the last golden age, a team that boasted a defense so dominant it earned the moniker, The Big Blue Wrecking Crew. Led by Lawrence Taylor, Harry Carson, Carl Banks, Gary Reasons, Jim Burt and Leonard Marshall, the defense dictated games and punished opponents. The offense, led by Phil Simms along with Giants greats Mark Bavaro, Ottis Anderson, Joe Morris, and Maurice Carthon, physically dominated opponents with long, spirit-destroying drives.

That was the Giants of the mid 80's through '91. Giants fans will always remember the joy of watching a team that defined the blue-collar persona of the NY Giants. Now, following an unprecedented upset in beating the Patriots to become SuperBowl champions last season, the Giants are poised to again have a sustained reign of dominance in the NFC East. And this time, they may end up with more than just two Lombardi trophies.

Consider that last year, the Giants were the third youngest team in the NFL, and are led by an emerging franchise QB. That QB also has a young premier WR, and the Giants are loaded with RB talent in Jacobs, Bradshaw, and Ward. But the hallmark of the offense is an offensive line that is as steady and consistent as any in the NFL. With Kareem McKenzie, Chris Snee, Shaun O'Hara, David Diehl, and Rich Seubert, the unheralded group may soon realize the league-wide recognition it has earned and deserves.

And talk about a wrecking crew! This defense has the potential to stand with that '86 team as the best defenses ever. A relentless defensive line that boasts two soon to be perennial Pro Bowlers in Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora, a run stuffing stalwart in Fred Robbins, and the over-achieving and solid Barry Cofield, quarterbacks will be running for their life all season long, whether or not genius d-coordinator Steve Spagnuolo decides to blitz (which he will, and often). I would be remiss if I failed to mention Antonio Pierce, the new unquestioned leader of the defense after certain Hall of Famer Michael Strahan retired, whose intensity and leadership reverberates throughout the entire team, on the field and in the locker room. With Aaron Ross and Corey Webster, indications are good that the team has at least two pretty good corners. If Kenny Phillips and Mathias Kiwanuka realize their potential, and early indications are good, then this team will be one of the all-time great defenses in NFL history.

Of course, the team needs to stay healthy, and a team with as much talent as the Giants, egos must be held in check. But my fellow Giants fans, we may be witnessing a Giants team that will truly be remembered as one the best in team history. and never have Giants fans had so much reason for optimism as they do when looking at this team. The next golden age has dawned.... now let's play football!

Jesus Jim....don't jinx it! :)

C. Wagon

Not to be a pessimist but this team was supposed to be this good for a few years now. When the Giants are 12-4 then I'll drink the cool aid. Until then I am cautiously optimistic especially with the very hard East..

I also take the middle ground with the Giants. Tough division and

many variables that happen through the course of the season

but there is plenty of potential to keep getting better.

Should be a good competitive season.

I totally understand you guys' hesitance, but can you honestly tell me the last time you've seen a Giants team so full of talent and depth? Yes we play in a tough division, but I just don't think that the Eagles OR the Redskins have the horses to beat us this year. The Cowboys have good personnel, but I still think we are more of a team, plus we have the better coaches (although I grant the Cowboys Jason Garrett over our Gilbride). Eli looks very confident, and if he really has turned the corner, with this defense... I laugh at the Cowboys.