SportsWrath

The 10 million $ set up man

gateb

K-Rod who will be the all-time saves leader for a single season is gonna be an FA after this season.

Next year is going to be billy's last. If he's as much of a team player as he says he is, he'll have no problem with being our set up man.

I know he's going to be pissed about the lack of a adrenalie rush coming in the 8th and no more enter sandman but the least we should do is talk to him and take this idea into consideration.

He wont sign for anyone that wants him to set up. Then again, I dont know exactly. Personally I think he sucks and is very hittable. Whoever signs him is gonna get reamed.

Alex Rodriguez says differently.

Oh and I'd love Rodriguez as the Mets closer, I hope the F.O. is looking into this.

He wont sign for anyone that wants him to set up. Then again, I dont know exactly. Personally I think he sucks and is very hittable. Whoever signs him is gonna get reamed.

He's suggesting that Wagner become the set up man to Rodriguez.

Rodriguez sucks? That's probably just an obligatory "every closer sucks but Rivera" comment that all Yankee fans make.

Billy DEFINITELY wouldn't go for it. It would be a major problem. But the manager makes the call, and if he says you're no longer our closer, Billy has to either deal or demand a trade or something. And I would not mind trading him. Personally, I don't think the Angels will let go of K-Rod.

As far as other closers to replace Wagner, they may have to look at someone in-house. Assuming we re-sign Oliver Perez (something they should do), we have Santana, Pelfrey, Perez, and Maine in the rotation. I'm sure Martinez won't come back. But perhaps Niese comes up next year and can be the 5th starter. If the Mets get another starter in free agency, I would like to see Maine in that role. He throws gas when he is allowed to let it go. I think we will see Maine out of the bullpen and could be that 8th inning guy should we make it to the playoffs.

k-rod thinks he's in mo's class and turned down 12 mil per year. billy's not a team player, i dont think he'd go for it

then we should trade his ass.

billys never won shit in his career and if he really wants a ring then he'd realize that he is not cut out to be a closer on a championship team and signing K-rod would be a huge step in the right direction.

he openly said 09 is his last year the last thing we need is him to be holding us back from getting one of the REAL best closers in baseball.

Billy DEFINITELY wouldn't go for it. It would be a major problem. But the manager makes the call, and if he says you're no longer our closer, Billy has to either deal or demand a trade or something. And I would not mind trading him. Personally, I don't think the Angels will let go of K-Rod.

As far as other closers to replace Wagner, they may have to look at someone in-house. Assuming we re-sign Oliver Perez (something they should do), we have Santana, Pelfrey, Perez, and Maine in the rotation. I'm sure Martinez won't come back. But perhaps Niese comes up next year and can be the 5th starter. If the Mets get another starter in free agency, I would like to see Maine in that role. He throws gas when he is allowed to let it go. I think we will see Maine out of the bullpen and could be that 8th inning guy should we make it to the playoffs.

kunz will most likely be our closer if we look in house

Thanks, gateb. I knew I was forgetting someone. I would love to see Kunz come up and prove that he is the man for that role. Right now, we are in serious trouble when it comes to our bullpen. This is starting to look like last year. Sanchez didn't throw a fastball faster than 86 mph tonight (according to MLB gameday) and I know Heilman is tired. They are trotting him out there on almost a nightly basis, and he couldn't get an out tonight. It's time that Jerry shakes things up, or the Mets are going to slip out of the race. The time is now to do something, and that something needs to include shutting Sanchez AND Heilman down for about a week (I'm not kidding) while not overworking Schoeneweis, Feliciano, and Smith. Where are you Matt Wise? He's on the 15-day DL still? I would even consider putting Sanchez on the 15-day DL with a dead arm. There is something wrong with him and he needs rest. That way we can bring back up Collazo or whoever. And what ever happened to Ambiorix Burgos? Anyone know? *EDIT* Saw Burgos is still on the 60-Day DL. This teams needs another arm so that they are not so reliant on Sanchez and Heilman, and the sad thing is that there really isn't anyone out there.

I just read that Ambiorix Burgos was supposed to make his first rehab pitching appearance today, yet I couldn't find it in any of Saturday's minor league box scores. So I don't know. Hate to say it, but if El Duque could just get healthy enough for us to use him down the stretch, he is a proven guy that could come in relief and throw all that junk. If not, just bring up Kunz and see how he responds. None of these moves will make Wagner not blow some saves, but the guy did go 4 weeks without blowing one, I think 10 straight scoreless innings at least, so that is not so bad. My concern is more about Heilman and Sanchez. We need guys that can hold down the fort until the 9th, and hopefully we can avoid some save situations more often if that happens.

I just read that Ambiorix Burgos was supposed to make his first rehab pitching appearance today, yet I couldn't find it in any of Saturday's minor league box scores. So I don't know. Hate to say it, but if El Duque could just get healthy enough for us to use him down the stretch, he is a proven guy that could come in relief and throw all that junk. If not, just bring up Kunz and see how he responds. None of these moves will make Wagner not blow some saves, but the guy did go 4 weeks without blowing one, I think 10 straight scoreless innings at least, so that is not so bad. My concern is more about Heilman and Sanchez. We need guys that can hold down the fort until the 9th, and hopefully we can avoid some save situations more often if that happens.

The timing of Wagner's blown saves is what is frustrating. The Phillies had just won, and Santana pitched a great game. 2 run lead. Chance to stay 1 game behind the Phillies. He had no chance last night. It wasn't like the Astros got a few lucky bounces and cheap hits. He was horrendous.

The timing of Wagner's blown saves is what is frustrating. The Phillies had just won, and Santana pitched a great game. 2 run lead. Chance to stay 1 game behind the Phillies. He had no chance last night. It wasn't like the Astros got a few lucky bounces and cheap hits. He was horrendous.

yeah and thank god we lost in the 10th otherwise our pen wouldve been burnt out again.

kunz just got called up

Wagner has one year remaining on his deal. I would first see if he clears waivers and anyone wants his overrated ass, after no team in their right mind would be that stupid I would trade him to a team that thinks he can be a good closer and pay off the deal.

Couple things about Billy that NO ONE can argue.

1)he struggles against his old teams in their parks (stros, Phils)

2)he seems to ALWAYS blow that game you really really really need.

3)when giving the oppurtunity to pitch on thebig stage he ALWAYS spits the bit, playoffs, all star games etc.

Some people knew this about him 3 years ago when Omar wasted 48 mil on this loud mouth jerkoff ........ :ph34r:

then we should trade his ass.

billys never won shit in his career and if he really wants a ring then he'd realize that he is not cut out to be a closer on a championship team and signing K-rod would be a huge step in the right direction.

he openly said 09 is his last year the last thing we need is him to be holding us back from getting one of the REAL best closers in baseball.

i agree 100%

Curious- have the Mets ever had a closer the fans liked liked besides Franco?

No Mets fan liked Franco.

Tug McGraw for obvious sentimental reasons. When I was in Philly I saw a Phillies shirt

with "Ya gotta believe on it" I was so pissed off at that shirt.

In the beginning, yeah, but then he got old and overstayed his welcome.

BTW, it took you how long to follow your team out west?

franco used to tie bonds up in knots. they had some memorable battles.

in 1983, my boss gave me an option- boston or sf- i said can i think about that for half a second?

but business brought me back to NY in '91- then back out west again in '99.

franco used to tie bonds up in knots. they had some memorable battles.

in 1983, my boss gave me an option- boston or sf- i said can i think about that for half a second?

but business brought me back to NY in '91- then back out west again in '99.

I was always amused at how bad Franco made Bonds look at times.

I liked Franco, even at the end of his career. He got the job done most of the time, and what more do you want? I always liked that he was a New York guy, who's father was a sanitation worker. He didn't whine when asked to move from being closer to the set up man. I can't imagine ever saying that about Wagner.

If Franco had you 0-2, or 1-2, you were getting a ball in the dirt everytime.