SportsWrath

Giants sign DE Renaldo Wynn

BleedinBlue

A rumor comes to fruition.

Veteran DE Renaldo Wynn agrees to deal

by Mike Garafolo

Sunday June 01, 2008, 11:23 PM

The Giants, who won a Super Bowl thanks to the belief that "you can never have enough pass rushers," have added one more.

The team came to terms on a one-year deal with veteran free-agent defensive end Renaldo Wynn this weekend, according to someone informed of the progress of talks between Wynn and the team. The person, who requested anonymity because the deal hasn't been signed or announced yet, did not provide financial terms.

The 6-3, 296-pound Wynn, who will turn 34 on Sept. 3 -- the day before the Giants open the regular season with a home game against the Redskins -- will become the second free agent who previously played for Tom Coughlin to sign with the Giants. Linebacker Danny Clark, who played three seasons for Coughlin with the Jaguars, signed in March.

Jacksonville drafted Wynn with the 21st overall pick in 1997 and he became a starter midway through the season. After notching a career-high five sacks in 2001, Wynn signed with the Redskins and remained in Washington for the next five seasons. Last year, he had 3 1/2 sacks in 12 games with the Saints.

Though he's listed as a defensive end, Wynn has also played inside at tackle and will likely fill that role with the Giants in obvious passing situations. Three-year veteran Justin Tuck currently plays a similar role while rotating with starters Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora at end.

The Giants are still waiting on a decision from Strahan on whether or not he will retire. Strahan refused to address the issue late last week when the Giants received their Super Bowl rings.

Wynn met with the Giants two weeks ago. At the time, someone familiar with the team's interest in the 12th-year veteran said his visit had nothing to do with Strahan's situation, so his signing is also likely not an indication of anything involving Strahan either.

This is great news. We have some veteran insurance should Strahan retire and/or we have an injury on the line this year. Wynn isn't great, but he knows his assignments and is a decent pass rusher. Not a bad pickup at all.

This should mean Kiwi will def be a LB this year it seems.

Anyone know terms of Wynns contract? Probably 1 year for the Vet minimum.

Don't know the money end of it but yeah...it's for one year.

Sounds like they plan on using him on the inside of the line rather than outside. Perhaps to add one more pass rusher to the scheme. Just think, Osi and Strahan coming from both ends, Tuck and Wynn coming from the inside, Kiwi, Pierce, and one of the new guys also coming in. I think Spags is the number one believer in a pass rush defense wins games.

Now that I've had some time to let this signing sink in.....I really like the move. Not because I think Wynn will become a stud lineman, but because the Giants are such a young team and bringing in a few hardened vets can do nothing but help.

If it wasn't for Strahan, Feagles, Madison and McQuarters, the Giants would be the youngest team in the NFL by a large margin instead of only the second youngest team in the NFL.

This year they've brought in safety Sammy Knight and linebacker Danny Clark who likewise bring vet experience to the table and who can mentor the youngsters. I envision Knight working many hours with Kenny Phillips and tutoring him by example. Likewise, Clark (and Pierce) will have their hands full tutoring Kehl and Goff. Hopefully, Wynn will spend a lot of time with Robert Henderson, who I know nothing about, but the Giants' scouts obviously thought highly enough of him to draft him.

Wynn was a first round draft pick out of Notre Dame in 1997 and was named to the "All Rookie Team" in his first year so he was anything but a bust. Plus, he's been voted team captain by his team's players which means he has respect from his peers and is a leader.

Hopefully, the combination of vets with these youngsters brings out the best in the new guys looking to become solid NFL players. Not to mention, the old guys still have some gas left in their tanks so they can give quality minutes. Last year, our depth was short so we ended up using rookies from our practice squad or pickin up rookies from other teams practice squad. With this added depth of another solid veteran, we should be better set to deal with injuries.....which unfortunately, is a part of the game.

I caught the POdcast with Wynn, and I was very impressed with his attitude and how when asked if he was concerned about if Strahan was back how his reps may go down, he said that he was more concerned with doing his part and how he looked forward to playing with Strahan and hoped he came back.

Wynn gives us some flexibility, he can play end and he's big enough to play inside and is good at stopping the run.