SportsWrath

Which Linebackers make the team ?

Martin

That my friend, was good coaching on Bellichek's part. Don't think for one second Coughlin wouldnt' have done the same.

The end result was better for us in that situation tho. They went for it on 4th after that and failed. We ended up with better field position.

I'm thinking the final roster will be Kiwi, Pierce, and Wilkinson, then DeOssie, Clark, Chase, and one of the two rookies. The other one will end up on the practice squad.

Kehl or Goff would almost certainly be scooped off waivers by another team before we could place them on the PS. If they managed to make it through waivers, then they are exposed all season to be signed to another team's roster. I'm guessing that the Giants like both players enough that they won't take that risk, even if it means cutting 31-year old Danny Clark or special teams demon(s) Blackburn and/or Daniels.

That my friend, was good coaching on Bellichek's part. Don't think for one second Coughlin wouldnt' have done the same.

You're absolutely right, especially in the Super Bowl. Joe Gibbs won a similar challenge a few weeks earlier in Minnesota.

If being a good guy was all you needed to be a linebacker, Chase would probably be a pro bowler.

Unfortunately it's not the case. He's a hard worker, and he'll play in this league for a while. But as far as I'm concerned, he has no special quality that makes him stand out apart. He doesn't tackle any better than anyone, he's not great in coverage, and he's decent on special teams and even then Deossie was doing that better than him towards the end of the season. Chase is a little bigger than both of these guys we drafted, but probably not faster, which is very important FOR MAKING SURE YOU GET YOUR ASS OFF THE FIELD IN THE SUPERBOWL!!!

He's good on specials, but you have to figure that if Goff beats him out for the back-up job, then Goff, Kehl, Clark, or Daniels could more than adequately replace his contributions there.

That said, I have a feeling he manages to stick. Just a feelin'...

I think saying Blackburn is expendable is not smart when we look at LB depth. I will garuntee Blackburn makes the roster, unless he's traded. :unsure:

who would want him!?

I think saying Blackburn is expendable is not smart when we look at LB depth. I will garuntee Blackburn makes the roster, unless he's traded. :unsure:

Let's see. We have Pierce, we're getting back Kiwi, we have Wilkinson (former 3rd round pick who's flashed real ability) and DeOssie (4th round pick last year) and Daniels (special teams ace with possible positional potential [+30 cool points for alliteration]), we added a multi-tear starter in Danny Clark, and invested a 4th and 5th round pick in two promising LBs. Seems like our LB depth is pretty good, and the competition to make the team could leave a good player like Chase on the outside...

He's good on specials, but you have to figure that if Goff beats him out for the back-up job, then Goff, Kehl, Clark, or Daniels could more than adequately replace his contributions there.

That said, I have a feeling he manages to stick. Just a feelin'...

If they could keep him somehow, I'm all for it. Hell Frankie Ferrara played DE and he had nothing but heart, and I mean nothing.

If they could keep him somehow, I'm all for it. Hell Frankie Ferrara played DE and he had nothing but heart, and I mean nothing.

You're a hater. Frankie had a motor! Blue-collar guy. Brings his lunch pail to work. Motor never stops. Can get Sopranos autographs...

Looks like Clark or Blackburn will get the cut.

Pierce / Kiwi / Wilkinson / DeOssie / the 2 rookies

Clark or Blackburn you pick!!

If Wilkinson is ready to make the leap and the young guys perform well, then Clark is the likeliest cut because of his age.

The Pats tried to do that with Chad Jackson last year. I don't think those on the Goff front would let that one slide.

I don't think you can prevent another team from placing someone on IR. Teams protect guys that way all the time, and the risk is that the player cannot play or practice with the team.

Jackson was put on PUP and then returned later in the season to return kicks.

Let's see. We have Pierce, we're getting back Kiwi, we have Wilkinson (former 3rd round pick who's flashed real ability) and DeOssie (4th round pick last year) and Daniels (special teams ace with possible positional potential [+30 cool points for alliteration]), we added a multi-tear starter in Danny Clark, and invested a 4th and 5th round pick in two promising LBs. Seems like our LB depth is pretty good, and the competition to make the team could leave a good player like Chase on the outside...

I think putting Kiwi at LBer was a mistake. He is too good at the DE position to move him. You say Daniels is a SP ace, yet I dont recall seeing any of that. DeOssie has yet to prove anything. Wilkinson had a great game against the Pats, but that has been all. Kiwi needs to go back to DE and have the rest fight for that spot. We would be a much better team. Think about it: 3rd and long with Tuck, Kiwi, Osi, and the big ol' Gap tooth coming at you. Not even counting if we send a LBer. Thats a 3rd down sack with a side of pain. :flex:

If Wilkinson is ready to make the leap and the young guys perform well, then Clark is the likeliest cut because of his age.

Age is a consideration for sure but I think its

gonna come down to who has the best camp

in regards to those 2 players!!

I think putting Kiwi at LBer was a mistake. He is too good at the DE position to move him. You say Daniels is a SP ace, yet I dont recall seeing any of that. DeOssie has yet to prove anything. Wilkinson had a great game against the Pats, but that has been all. Kiwi needs to go back to DE and have the rest fight for that spot. We would be a much better team. Think about it: 3rd and long with Tuck, Kiwi, Osi, and the big ol' Gap tooth coming at you. Not even counting if we send a LBer. Thats a 3rd down sack with a side of pain. :flex:

I tend to agree. I think it's easier to find a stud at LB than DE and Strahan's not here for long. I'd rather Kiwi got a full year's experience rotating in at DE rather than getting shoved back there when Strahan calls time out.

I think putting Kiwi at LBer was a mistake. He is too good at the DE position to move him. You say Daniels is a SP ace, yet I dont recall seeing any of that. DeOssie has yet to prove anything. Wilkinson had a great game against the Pats, but that has been all. Kiwi needs to go back to DE and have the rest fight for that spot. We would be a much better team.

You might recall that Tank Daniels forced the fumbled on the second half kickoff in Tampa that ultimately extended our lead to 17-7.

Wilkinson not only played well against the Pats, but also started the following week and played well in our win over the Bucs.

Think about it: 3rd and long with Tuck, Kiwi, Osi, and the big ol' Gap tooth coming at you.

I really don't need to think about it -- we did that last year! Beginning with the Redskins game, Osi-Tuck-Kiwi-Strahan (or "Four Aces" as Mike Trainer coined) was our DL in passing situations. Once Kiwi got hurt, Robbins and then Alford replaced him.

As for Kiwi, playing him at SLB gets him on the field for 1st and 2nd downs. I think he can help the team more than in a situational role.

I tend to agree. I think it's easier to find a stud at LB than DE and Strahan's not here for long. I'd rather Kiwi got a full year's experience rotating in at DE rather than getting shoved back there when Strahan calls time out.

Spags said they would keep Kiwi as the starting SLB even if Strahan retires. In the long-term, he might return to DE depending on how everything shakes out. But playing SLB on 1st and 2nd down and DL in passing situations really doesn't preclude his development as a DE.

Spags said they would keep Kiwi as the starting SLB even if Strahan retires. In the long-term, he might return to DE depending on how everything shakes out. But playing SLB on 1st and 2nd down and DL in passing situations really doesn't preclude his development as a DE.

Did Spags say this before or after the draft?

Did Spags say this before or after the draft?

After the draft: Giants.com 5/10 interview

It's certainly not definitive, but he says they committed to Kiwi playing SLB and he's preparing to play the season at that position. Although Spags does present the caveat that a lot can change between now and the start of the season with regard to injuries or what not.

Who are you pullling out if Kiwi plays 3rd down at DE, and who's replacing him at SLB?

Who are you pullling out if Kiwi plays 3rd down at DE, and who's replacing him at SLB?

I liked their formation last year when he and Tuck lined up at DT. Plus, at age 37 Strahan won't be playing every down, so he'll get time their, too. I imagine our nickel LBs will be Pierce and Wilkinson, who would obviously be taking Mitchell's spot.