SportsWrath

USAToday Releases NFL Teams Power Rankings

BleedinBlue

Then how can you say any team has superstars? Last time I checked LaDanian Tomlinson(I know you meant Lawrence Taylor) can't single handedly lead the Chargers to a Super Bowl and hasn't...yet ask anybody, he's a Superstar. He could have wrote, "Good depth but this team has no superstars" about every single NFL team by that logic.

So....you're saying that Tomlinson is to football, what Tiger Woods is to golf, or Michael Jordan is to basketball or Babe Ruth to baseball.

After Tomlinson crushes Jim Brown's, Walter Payton's, and Barry Sanders' career stats and sets the new gold standard for rushing, then I will see where you are coming from and jump on your LaDanian band wagon calling him a superstar.

I guess it simply means that you and I have a different interpretation of superstar. To you, anyone who has a great season or is currently pretty damn good....is a superstar. You called Eli and Osi superstars so obviously, they have a must have ton of pro bowl selections like Merlin Olsen (Rams) and Bruce Matthews (Oilers/Titans) who were in 14 pro-bowls and for current players, Junior Seau 13. Oh...wait a minute. Eli hasn't ever been to a pro-bowl and Osi has been to 2, once as an alternate. I'm "sure" though, that they will have accumulated well over 14 pro bowls by the end of their careers. Don't get me wrong...that would be great. It just ain't gonna happen.

Look....I'm not knocking you and no one loves the Giants more than I do. But I'm realistic about calling players on this team superstars. There are some very good and solid players from Plax to Tuck and Strahan to Osi and Eli to Shockey. But they are just very good players....not "superstars". If Eli improves every year until he retires and retires with a SB ring on every finger....then yes, he was a superstar. But that's a long way down the road and far to early to expect that.

So....you're saying that Tomlinson is to football, what Tiger Woods is to golf, or Michael Jordan is to basketball or Babe Ruth to baseball.

After Tomlinson crushes Jim Brown's, Walter Payton's, and Barry Sanders' career stats and sets the new gold standard for rushing, then I will see where you are coming from and jump on your LaDanian band wagon calling him a superstar.

I guess it simply means that you and I have a different interpretation of superstar. To you, anyone who has a great season or is currently pretty damn good....is a superstar. You called Eli and Osi superstars so obviously, they have a must have ton of pro bowl selections like Merlin Olsen (Rams) and Bruce Matthews (Oilers/Titans) who were in 14 pro-bowls and for current players, Junior Seau 13. Oh...wait a minute. Eli hasn't ever been to a pro-bowl and Osi has been to 2, once as an alternate. I'm "sure" though, that they will have accumulated well over 14 pro bowls by the end of their careers. Don't get me wrong...that would be great. It just ain't gonna happen.

Look....I'm not knocking you and no one loves the Giants more than I do. But I'm realistic about calling players on this team superstars. There are some very good and solid players from Plax to Tuck and Strahan to Osi and Eli to Shockey. But they are just very good players....not "superstars". If Eli improves every year until he retires and retires with a SB ring on every finger....then yes, he was a superstar. But that's a long way down the road and far to early to expect that.

Yes, Tomlinson is definitely a superstar.

You're superstars are(with the exception of Woods) players who haven't played for years.

I think you're definition of Superstars are players that haven't played in forever but we're outstanding. The players I consider superstars are players that are outstanding that play now.

And Junior Seau is definitely not a current Superstar.

Yes, Tomlinson is definitely a superstar.

You're superstars are(with the exception of Woods) players who haven't played for years.

I think you're definition of Superstars are players that haven't played in forever but we're outstanding. The players I consider superstars are players that are outstanding that play now.

And Junior Seau is definitely not a current Superstar.

Never said the Seau was a superstar....I simply showed that Seau (not a superstar) has been selected 13 times to the pro-bowl compared to Eli (0) and Osi (2)......just keeping things in perspective.

And players or athletes who have a stellar year, but can't string together enough years to put together a formidable career are known as "flash in the pans"....not "superstars". You have to take in the total picture of a player and that means over time.

Also, you cannot dismiss players who have retired if they did things that current players will never be able to duplicate. Superstars set the bar for a sport or for the position on a team. Current players who are the best at their position but can't reach the bar set by past players are not superstars. Superstars reset the bar - period.

"You're superstars are(with the exception of Woods) players who haven't played for years."

I really didn't think I had to say it again...

Oh, I didnt see that. My bad. And the only reason I put those players up there, is because your talking like Tomlinson is to football what the others were to their respective sports. Hell no, thats LT. The one and only LT.

so who in your opinion is a current superstar?

someone said tom brady and peyton manning aren't...so ARE there any superstars in the NFL now?

In Football? Well, I believe Manning and Brady would qualify as superstars, esp. Brady. I believe Strahan can be considered one as well. I dont know about Tomlinson, only because I would call someone a superstar if they not only had amazing stats but at least one championship to go with it.

In Football? Well, I believe Manning and Brady would qualify as superstars, esp. Brady. I believe Strahan can be considered one as well. I dont know about Tomlinson, only because I would call someone a superstar if they not only had amazing stats but at least one championship to go with it.

I agree, you definitely need a championship to be a superstar...but in Tomlinson's case, and what a couple people have been saying, is a superstar is someone that would lead a team to success virtually on his own...and that was Tomlinson...now the Chargers are starting to get good at other positions and he doesn't have to be 90% of their offense anymore...but IMO, he's a superstar...

I agree, you definitely need a championship to be a superstar...but in Tomlinson's case, and what a couple people have been saying, is a superstar is someone that would lead a team to success virtually on his own...and that was Tomlinson...now the Chargers are starting to get good at other positions and he doesn't have to be 90% of their offense anymore...but IMO, he's a superstar...

He's definately debatable, as was Marino. Amazing stats, no championship, you gotta point. Its just hard for me to put that label on someone that doesnt have a ring.

Those are Legends and Hall of Famers. They aren't superstars anymore...

Storm is spot on. The list Bleedin' gave are Legends, that is, superstars that were superstars for a long time. A superstar whose on field (or course/court/rink) performance exceeds the levels of other great players in the game at their time.

Dan Marino is a legend, was a superstar. And I hate the guy, he's a prick. LaDainian IS a superstar. Guys like Tiger, Manning, and I hate to say it, but Brady... are current legends because that status has already been cemented with their championships coupled with all-time records achieved.

Most teams have at least one superstar, and several stars. For the Giants, it's Strahan, while Osi is on the verge of superstardom, as is Plaxico, while Manning is on the verge of just stardom.

For comparison's sake, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens (if you take away the steroids scandal), Ken Griffey Jr., Greg Maddux, and Trevor Hoffman are legends, while Albert Pujols, Ichiro, Jake Peavy, and Vladimir Guerrero are superstars.

Storm is spot on. The list Bleedin' gave are Legends, that is, superstars that were superstars for a long time. A superstar whose on field (or course/court/rink) performance exceeds the levels of other great players in the game at their time.

Dan Marino is a legend, was a superstar. And I hate the guy, he's a prick. LaDainian IS a superstar. Guys like Tiger, Manning, and I hate to say it, but Brady... are current legends because that status has already been cemented with their championships coupled with all-time records achieved.

Most teams have at least one superstar, and several stars. For the Giants, it's Strahan, while Osi is on the verge of superstardom, as is Plaxico, while Manning is on the verge of just stardom.

For comparison's sake, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens (if you take away the steroids scandal), Ken Griffey Jr., Greg Maddux, and Trevor Hoffman are legends, while Albert Pujols, Ichiro, Jake Peavy, and Vladimir Guerrero are superstars.

Yes! Thank you!

Superstars are current players that play above the level of most the other players at thier position, normally top say 8 at their position...Manning is getting there, I'll concede he isn't a superstar yet, though Super Bowl MVP means a lot more to me than superstar, anyway...but I just think Osi, Strahan, Plaxico and even possibly Shockey(though he is much less the case when he's injured or being...well, being Shockey)...are the Giants superstars...Tiki Barber when he played was a superstar....he probably won't end up being a legend, but a superstar because he was an explosive force, team leader, put up large numbers, and really was that catalyst of those teams in the early to mid 2000s.

To say a team has no superstars but 'great depth' when power ranking them, is ridiculous. Even the 49ers have superstars---Frank Gore.

Yes! Thank you!

Superstars are current players that play above the level of most the other players at thier position, normally top say 8 at their position...Manning is getting there, I'll concede he isn't a superstar yet, though Super Bowl MVP means a lot more to me than superstar, anyway...but I just think Osi, Strahan, Plaxico and even possibly Shockey(though he is much less the case when he's injured or being...well, being Shockey)...are the Giants superstars...Tiki Barber when he played was a superstar....he probably won't end up being a legend, but a superstar because he was an explosive force, team leader, put up large numbers, and really was that catalyst of those teams in the early to mid 2000s.

To say a team has no superstars but 'great depth' when power ranking them, is ridiculous. Even the 49ers have superstars---Frank Gore.

Gore is on the verge of superstardom. He's only had one great year, followed by an pretty good year.

Lets not forget Mr. JETER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P