SportsWrath

Looking back at the draft

BleedinBlue

I know that one cannot really tell how good a teams draft picks were for at least 2 years down the road. And on top of that, we fans must rely on media scouts for our information.

Anyway....I'm a readaholic and peruse the net for hours searching for all the stories and inside information I can get on the Giants' picks. I'll share some interesting thoughts.

We basically got 4 players who were rated as no. 1 draft picks by a variety of scout services:

- Kenny Phillips (projected by most services to be gone in the first 15 picks of the draft)

- Terell Thomas (projected by many services to be taken in the latter half of the first round)

- Mario Manningham (projected by nearly every service to be the top reciever and a sure first round draft pick before his well published denial of drug use)

- Andre Woodsen (projected by some to be the second best QB in the draft and figured to be a late first round pick) - The Giants weren't really looking for a QB at that point, but there was no way they could pass up a guy like that who was just sitting there in the 6th round....unbelievable.

We got the 2nd or 3rd highest rated ILB in Jonathan Goff. Most scouting services projected him to be a mid - late second round pick and at worst, an early third round pick. I think the Giants liked him, but wanted an OLB more than an ILB so they passed on him in the third because they simply had to snatch Manningham who was still on the board in the 3rd and in the 4th, had to snatch Kehl whom was the highest OLB on their list when they were still in the 4th round. Since Goff was just sitting there in the 5th round (unbelievable in itself), the Giants couldn't resist had to snatch him up as he was much, much better than a 5th round pick and without a doubt, the best player available apart from QB Woodsen.

In the fourth round, the Giants traded a pick in order to move up and grab Bryan Kehl...their most coveted OLB. They were high enough on him to trade up in order to make sure they didn't lose him. Scouting services projected Kehl to be drafted anywhere between late second round or early fourth round. The Giants were lucky he was still there in the fourth. Had they not traded up, they might have missed him.

As far as the last pick goes, DE Robert Henderson, I don't know. Reese and Spags must know something about this kid that the scouting services don't know. To me.....it seems like the only pick that makes little sense. Hopefully, the coaches know things about him that others don't and he'll shock all of us the way Bradshaw did last year.

So bottom line, it's like we got 4 first rounders, 1 second rounder, 1 third rounder, and 1 who might not have even been drafted. The Giants were looking to draft the BPA (best player available) rather than for need. It just happened that those BPA picks fit our needs (well...except Woodsen, who wasn't a "need", but I suspect who simply is a luxury player to have on the roster for future purposes).

Not only that, but of our UDFA pickups, Bain was projected to be gone by the 3rd round, Gilberry gone by round 4, DJ Hall also to be gone by rd 4, and Warrick to be gone by the 5th.

So anyway.....we had one hell of a draft.

How Mel Kiper can give the Giants a C+ for the draft is beyond any reasonable thinking. Kiper himself uses the media scouting services to analyze players. I think Kiper is a closet Cowboy fan who spends too much time with his significant other (a limp wristed hair dresser).

How Mel Kiper can give the Giants a C+ for the draft is beyond any reasonable thinking. Kiper himself uses the media scouting services to analyze players. I think Kiper is a closet Cowboy fan who spends too much time with his significant other (a limp wristed hair dresser).

The answer is simple. We're the world champs and that's why Mel gave us such a high grade.