SportsWrath

Mets vs. Phillies 1:10 P.M. Last home opener in Shea Stadium

RandolphScott

Sorry, I haven't been around for the past couple days...I've been in North Carolina

and Delaware for my golf team and have missed all but two Mets games.

I will also miss this game, but I will pin this thread before I leave.

alg_shea-stadium.jpg

Game Preview

This should not be read by Gretchen Randolph. The wife of the Mets manager need not know her husband's regard for Shea Stadium. She would do well to remain unaware that her husband doesn't "get all gushy" when he thinks about the end of the ballpark, that he has no fuzzy feelings about the place he works, the place he played as a member of the Mets in 1992.

The place Willie Randolph took Gretchen on their first "legitimate" date.

But that's how the manager feels. He was a Mets fan before he was a Pittsburgh Pirate and then a pivotal figure in all that Yankees winning in the second half of the 1970s and into the '80s. He wears No. 12 as the Mets manager, partially because Kenny Bowell wore 12 as member of the Mets in the late '60s and into the '70s when Randolph was a Brooklyn kid going to games at Shea with his uncle.

Clearly, a place in Randolph's heart exists for the Mets, but, evidently, not for their soon-to-be-replaced place of business. So you'll understand Tuesday when the manager doesn't get all teary during the pregame ceremonies -- the final opening home-game ceremonies for Shea -- his mind will be on the Phillies and Oliver Perez and, no doubt, some payback, too. The arena will be quite secondary.

"I know great things have happened there, and I'm proud to be the Mets manager and I hope we play one more World Series there," Randolph said last month. "But it's just a building. It's the people and what they did there that are important."

Perhaps, had Randolph's teams found greater success at Shea, his feelings would have some fuzz on them. But the Mets' shortfall last year can be attributed to their ordinary performance -- a 41-40 record -- at Shea. And two of the more vexing losses they suffered in the 2006 playoffs, Games 2 and 7, happened at home as well.

"It's not like the place has been my best friend," Randolph said. "Maybe I should be happy we're getting a replacement. That's what everybody wants, right? A new ballpark. You can't be sad about losing one if you're looking to the new one."

He's got a point.

Pitching matchup

NYM: LHP Oliver Perez (1-0, 0.00 ERA)

The Mets seemingly would have been better off had their original plan held and Pedro Martinez was to oppose the Phillies. Perez lost two decisions, won none and produced a 5.40 ERA in three starts against Philadelphia last season. Pat Burrell and Jimmy Rollins have combined for six home runs in merely 36 combined career at-bats against him. Perez has beaten the Phillies once in eight career starts.

PHI: LHP Jamie Moyer (0-0, 7.36 ERA)

The Mets missed Tom Glavine over the weekend, but now they will be confronted by the same kind of pitching from Moyer, who produced a 1-1 record and a 3.12 ERA in four starts against them last season. Statistics can deceive. Carlos Delgado has a .431 average and seven home runs in 65 career at-bats against Moyer. But he had two singles in 10 at-bats against him last year.

Tidbits

Matt Wise, the losing pitcher Tuesday in his second and most recent appearance, has been unavailable to pitch since then, Randolph said, because of soreness on the top of his right forearm. Randolph said the veteran reliever had been sent to New York on Thursday to have the arm examined via an MRI. The results were negative. ... Randolph also announced that, as expected, Nelson Figueroa will fill the void created by Martinez's absence and start Friday night against the Brewers at Shea. The club had considered using Jorge Sosa and even Tony Armas, currently assigned to the Triple-A New Orleans Zephyrs, but Randolph didn't want to use Sosa and thereby upset the bullpen. ... Duaner Sanchez pitched one scoreless inning Sunday for St. Lucie against the Jupiter Hammerheads in Jupiter, Fla. He allowed one hit (a double) with no walks and struck out two. ... The Elias Sports Bureau determined that Angel Pagan had at least one run scored and at least one RBI in each of his first four games for the Mets. He's the first Mets player to score and drive in a run in each of his first four games for the team. The only Mets to do so in three games was Bernard Gilkey in 1996. The last Major League player to score and drive in a run in each of his first four games for a team was Tony Gonzalez, a midseason acquisition for the 1969 Braves.

Linkage

I'm watching at home on MLB.TV. Just upgraded to premium so the quality is a little better than last year (still not as much as I'd hoped, though).

Forget about the Braves series' now. It's time to put Philly in their place! We have a lot of pay back to give them that they are due from last year. I want a sweep! Moyer is in big trouble today!

JUST SAW THE DELGADO HOMERUN! What a bomb! I thought this would be the game that Delgado gets one, because he can definitely get around on an inside fastball from Moyer, lol. Good to see Delgado get his first.

One more thing, anyone a little concerned about Perez's velocity? His fastballs are being clocked at 87-88 consistently. I thought that he usually throws around 91-92. The slider looks good today. Go Perez!

The Mets should make sure that Utley gets hit AGAIN when he comes up to bat. And it should be UP and IN and a 95 MPH Heilman fastball. Utley STEPS into that Schoenweis pitch, and the ump should've called him out. He stepped right into that pitch. Then he goes wide on the Delgado throw and gets in the way. That is good baseball. Reyes has to give Delgado a wider target, as well.

All of that would be moot if Schoenweis could get a right handed batter, ANY f-ing right handed batter, OUT. Perez deserves better. And for the record, I thought Willie was a little too quick to pull the trigger on Ollie. And WHY WHY WHY does Willie go to Shoenweis in the 7th and not Feliciano? When will Willie get it, that Shoenweis is not the guy you want on the mound protecting a close lead? Now Heilman is imploding. Duaner Sanchez needs to get healthy and back on this team fast. Willie's job is on the line this year and he better pull his head out of his ass if he wants to save it. Once again the Mets blow it against the Phillies.

None of them can get a Phillie out. The only one was Joe Smith who was only asked to get one out and got it in a tough spot. After that Schoenweis can't get anyone out, Sosa can't get an out, and now Heilman can't get an out. This bullpen is in disarray. Once again Willie is putting his trust in Schoenass and Sosa for what reason? Sosa early on looks like Mota. Sosa=Mota. We need to stop getting bullpen pitchers whose name is 2 syllables and ends in 'a'.

Seriously, if I have tickets to the game tomorrow night, I'm showing up with a paper bag on my head. I'll tell you what, I have tickets to the Nationals/Mets game on the night of the 23rd here in DC, and I will wear a paper bag if this team doesn't start winning.

How was our hitting today, invididually wise. Obviously it wasn't good if it was 2 runs.

We made really good contact early in the game but the ball wasn't carrying at all. Delgado hit a towering HR. Twice Victorino covered about 298472986502387986259283650872 miles in CF to snag flyballs. Philly played a good game, but this loss had more to do with our lack of run production and pathetic effort by the bullpen (aside from Joe Smith who came in in a terrible situation and pitched out of it with no damage).

So Citi Field is having negative affects on hitters?

I was watching the encore and when I first saw it i was stunned. its almost torturous watching us play in this dump when that is so close.

So Citi Field is having negative affects on hitters?

I was watching the encore and when I first saw it i was stunned. its almost torturous watching us play in this dump when that is so close.

Citifield looks amazing but while we're still in Shea it looks like it's gonna cause an issue. According to what Cohen, Darling and Hernandez were saying that the winds in the stadium were "swirling" which sounds a lot like Giants Stadium. I doubt that there'll be a lot of HRs hit in Shea this year.

You know what guys, you might blast me for this, but I am sick and tired of hearing Willie this and Willie that. Scott Schoenwise (sp) may have put men on, but he got the fuckin double play ball when he needed it. Delgado is a major league baseball player, making millions of dollars, and he can't begin a routine fucking double play?? I don't want to hear about Reyes not giving him a target either. The runner is directly in front of him, and he throws it into his back. That is unforgivable. Willies "guy" got the ball the team needed when he had to, and our multi million dollar first basemen can't make an accurate 80 foot throw. THATS why this game was lost. Sorry, but thats the bottom line.

My 3rd place prediction looks to be in jeopardy, the Nats just may challenge them.

2008 NL east, the battle of the Braves and Phils, said it a month ago and will say it now.

What is scary os that the Mets are in uncharted waters, coming off a monuemental collapse, The pressure is going to mount and they "could" implode. Can you say 92 Mets?

:LMAO:

That's why we call him the "Flyin' Hawaiian"!! :rock:

He got a couple "WTF!?" reactions from me today. I didn't realize that he was as fast as he is. Utley needs to stop hanging over the plate. Someone is eventually gonna lay one on his chin.

He got a couple "WTF!?" reactions from me today. I didn't realize that he was as fast as he is. Utley needs to stop hanging over the plate. Someone is eventually gonna lay one on his chin.

Will that stop the throws to 2nd base from hitting him too? <_<

My 3rd place prediction looks to be in jeopardy, the Nats just may challenge them.

2008 NL east, the battle of the Braves and Phils, said it a month ago and will say it now.

What is scary os that the Mets are in uncharted waters, coming off a monuemental collapse, The pressure is going to mount and they "could" implode. Can you say 92 Mets?

Please elaborate for those who were a fetus during that time :)