SportsWrath

Antonio Pierce pleads guilty

Lughead

Pierce pleads guilty to neglecting a pet

Posted by Tom Haydon/The Star Ledger March 27, 2008 5:58PM

Giants middle linebacker Antonio Pierce appeared in Monroe Township Municipal Court today and agreed to pay $1,300 in fines for neglecting a pet pit bull and letting two pit bulls run loose.

However, Pierce left a few fans disappointed when he declined to sign autographs.

Pierce appeared in court with a female companion, and each received the same $1,300 for a Jan. 29 with the two dogs were found running through a resident's yard.

The starting linebacker for the world champion Giants and his companion each received township summons for letting dogs run loose, failing to get dog licenses and failing to get rabies shots.

However, the couple faced the more serious charge of neglecting a pet because one of the dogs was underweight and suffering from a respiratory illness, said Walt Mychalchyk, chief of the Middlesex County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Several people in the Monroe Municipal building said asked Pierce for an autograph but he declined.

What a scumbag. Hate to say that, but just because he plays for us doesn't make him less of a scumbag.

I wish I knew more details. I wonder if Antonio was seeking help for the sick dog. It just doesn't make sense he would not feed it or get it medical attention blatantly.

I wish I knew more details. I wonder if Antonio was seeking help for the sick dog. It just doesn't make sense he would not feed it or get it medical attention blatantly.

Sure it does. A professional millionaire football player needs a pit to make their image seem tough, but then they don't know how/ want to take care of the animals.

What a scumbag. Hate to say that, but just because he plays for us doesn't make him less of a scumbag.

Don't be so quick to judge just yet......there is a thread on here when this story first broke, with a link. If I remember correctly he was on the road when this happened, and had left the dogs in someone else's care. Although, him being out of town doesn't explain why the dogs didn't have shots or tags. I wish I wasn't too lazy to find the original post, but I am. :P

EDIT: OK, maybe I'm not THAT lazy, it was only 6 pages deep.

LINKY

Giants middle linebacker Antonio Pierce was served with a summons yesterday for animal neglect based on the condition of one of two pitbulls that escaped from his Monroe Township home days be fore the Super Bowl.

The Middlesex County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, a quasi-law enforcement group that investigates animal abuse cases, issued the lone municipal court complaint. Walt Mychal chyk, chief of the agency, said the neglect charge carries a fine upon conviction, but he cautioned against any comparison with Michael Vick, the Atlanta Falcons quarterback sentenced to a 23-month prison term after a federal dogfighting conviction.

"This summons is for neglect. There is no pitbull fighting or any of that nonsense here," said My chalchyk. "After the dogs got loose, we found that one was underweight and had a respiratory illness. The other one was fine."

It was Jan. 30 when Monroe Township animal control officer Frank Faraone was notified of two loose dogs and rounded them up. Mychalchyk said it was unclear at the time whom the dogs belonged to, but further investigation determined that they were owned by Pierce and appeared to have escaped a fenced enclosure by pushing open or nosing under a gate.

Faraone took one dog to a local shelter, but notified the SPCA that the second dog appeared underweight. That dog was taken to a veterinarian, who determined that it suffered from a respiratory illness, said Mychalchyk.

"Both dogs are now in a kennel. They are back in his (Pierce's) cus tody, but he has them in a kennel," said Mychalchyk. "I checked on them the other day, and both dogs are doing well. The summons charges that Mr. Pierce failed to provide proper food, water and veterinarian care."

Pierce declined comment yesterday through a Giants spokesman. It was unclear who was charged with watching the dogs while Pierce was in Arizona prepar ing for his team's Super Bowl vic tory.

Oh please...perhaps you are right, because the dog cannot recall any instances of athletes (not that just athletes do this of course) have neglected pets...

the shame of it is, aside from the animal abuse, there was a distinct possibility that a hungry, sick pit bull on the loose could easily have attacked a young kid playing in his yard, and that could have been a major disaster...perhaps Mr. Pierce with all of his money could have invested in a full time dog nanny if he really wasn't interested in having pets that you have to take care of...

Oh please...perhaps you are right, because the dog cannot recall any instances of athletes (not that just athletes do this of course) have neglected pets...

the shame of it is, aside from the animal abuse, there was a distinct possibility that a hungry, sick pit bull on the loose could easily have attacked a young kid playing in his yard, and that could have been a major disaster...perhaps Mr. Pierce with all of his money could have invested in a full time dog nanny if he really wasn't interested in having pets that you have to take care of...

Yeah, Vick, who was raised believing dogfighting was OK. Then learned the truth. He didnt just do it because one day he wanted to be a dick. :rolleyes: My point was, we've heard stories before, but we usually find out the person was abused as a kid, actaully a complete asshole, etc. Something that would explain why he would do such a heinous thing. Pierce is a stand up guy for all we know.

sadly, the dog is pretty sure that if this were a player for either the cowboys, eagles or redskins, there would be a much nastier tone to these responses...

First stitch of negative press for the Giants and the DOG has MULTIPLE posts in the thread, go figure huh?

First stitch of negative press for the Giants and the DOG has MULTIPLE posts in the thread, go figure huh?

the dog would be on this thread regardless of who it was about...animal cruelty is somewhat cowardly...

sadly, the dog is pretty sure that if this were a player for either the cowboys, eagles or redskins, there would be a much nastier tone to these responses...

I doubt it. The same people would be saying shame on you and the same people would be looking for a less shitty explanation. People other than falcons fans defended michael Vick afterall.