SportsWrath

Left Tackle

jints

Over the past years I've learned one thing from trying to second guess the Giants on draft day....and that is, everything you've read about in magazines and thought you had figured out....means almost nothing on draft day. I remember screaming, "Osi whoooooo" back in 2003 because there was a guy on the board that magazines had rated as a first round draft pick and Osi wasn't mentioned in any magazines at all. I can't remember who the guy was, but he washed out of the pros after spring training and has never been heard from since. When the Giants tabbed Umenyura, the analysts didn't even have a film clip on him and Kipper immediately started mocking the pick saying the Giants could've had him much, much later in the draft. All the analysts joined in making a mockery of the Giants for taking Osi in the 2nd. And guess what.....boy were they fucking wrong and boy is Osi a stud DE!!!!! :D

In 2005, I was screaming at the top of my lungs because the Giants "wasted" a first round pick on a defensive end, when we didn't need a defensive end and Kiwanuka was rated by the mags as a potential 2nd or 3rd round pick. And once again....the analysts and especially Kipper, ridiculed the Giants for wasting their pick on a DE where they were loaded. And again, the Giants got the last laugh.

And of course there was the "who the fuck is Charlie Peprah", and "who the hell is Brandon Jacobs", and "who the hell is Visanthe Shianco", etc.

What I've learned to do since last years draft is to sit back, watch, and learn. If you get your heart set on a certain individual or a certain position you want to see filled, you can drive your blood pressure up a 100 points.

Bottom line:

1) Hardly any team does what you expect - and the Giants are probably the most unpredictable.

2) The Giants' scouts are as good or better than any in the NFL - TRUST THEM

3) The Mel Kippers of the world will criticize the Giants picks and give them a low draft grade, while touting the draft of a team that ends up going 2-14 for the year, or 5-11 at best.

I'd love to summarize all the "draft grades" given teams by pundits and sports analysts after the draft, and then compare them with post-season draft grades just to show how far off these writers and commentators are when it comes to sizing up things.

So no.....it wouldn't surprise me to see the Giants draft a Left Tackle (or any offensive lineman for that matter) in the first round. I think they actually have their eyes on Jeremy Zuttah and Gosder Cherilus, two offensive linemen that they've interviewed during combines. They seem more like later round draft picks, but never underestimate our scouts and their ability to see a diamond in the rough.

Over the past years I've learned one thing from trying to second guess the Giants on draft day....and that is, everything you've read about in magazines and thought you had figured out....means almost nothing on draft day. I remember screaming, "Osi whoooooo" back in 2003 because there was a guy on the board that magazines had rated as a first round draft pick and Osi wasn't mentioned in any magazines at all. I can't remember who the guy was, but he washed out of the pros after spring training and has never been heard from since. When the Giants tabbed Umenyura, the analysts didn't even have a film clip on him and Kipper immediately started mocking the pick saying the Giants could've had him much, much later in the draft. All the analysts joined in making a mockery of the Giants for taking Osi in the 2nd. And guess what.....boy were they fucking wrong and boy is Osi a stud DE!!!!! :D

In 2005, I was screaming at the top of my lungs because the Giants "wasted" a first round pick on a defensive end, when we didn't need a defensive end and Kiwanuka was rated by the mags as a potential 2nd or 3rd round pick. And once again....the analysts and especially Kipper, ridiculed the Giants for wasting their pick on a DE where they were loaded. And again, the Giants got the last laugh.

And of course there was the "who the fuck is Charlie Peprah", and "who the hell is Brandon Jacobs", and "who the hell is Visanthe Shianco", etc.

What I've learned to do since last years draft is to sit back, watch, and learn. If you get your heart set on a certain individual or a certain position you want to see filled, you can drive your blood pressure up a 100 points.

Bottom line:

1) Hardly any team does what you expect - and the Giants are probably the most unpredictable.

2) The Giants' scouts are as good or better than any in the NFL - TRUST THEM

3) The Mel Kippers of the world will criticize the Giants picks and give them a low draft grade, while touting the draft of a team that ends up going 2-14 for the year, or 5-11 at best.

I'd love to summarize all the "draft grades" given teams by pundits and sports analysts after the draft, and then compare them with post-season draft grades just to show how far off these writers and commentators are when it comes to sizing up things.

So no.....it wouldn't surprise me to see the Giants draft a Left Tackle (or any offensive lineman for that matter) in the first round. I think they actually have their eyes on Jeremy Zuttah and Gosder Cherilus, two offensive linemen that they've interviewed during combines. They seem more like later round draft picks, but never underestimate our scouts and their ability to see a diamond in the rough.

Ok, Bleedin, this a well put well structured informative and eloquent response. But you have to admit that my response above is wayyyy better :P