SportsWrath

Giants attempt to make Spags highly paid

gateb

Giants have an offer on the table for Spags

Who was meeting with Redskins owner Daniel Snyder into the afternoon after spending the night in Snyder's guest house in suburban D.C.

A person close to the situation said the Giants have a new deal on the table for Spagnuolo; ESPN's John Clayton said a little while ago that the deal would make Spags one of the highest-paid coordinators in the league.

The person close to the situation said there were "no promises" with said deal, so Spags is not assured of being next in line to succeed TC. No matter how big a contract the Giants offer -- and this is my analysis -- it's really only a one-year deal, because if the Giants defense is even 3/4 as good as it was this season, Spags will have his pick of head coaching jobs for 2009.

The Giants do not want him to leave yet, especially for the 'Skins... But that may be up to Spagnuolo.

Former Giants coach Jim Fassel is "standing by," I've been told. That's all for now.

I was just going to post this. :TU:

So I got thinking on the way home about the whole Spags/Snyder deal and could not wait to hear the 20 minute updates on ESPN Radio And I heard nothing , not one thing about Spags . I got home in time to catch the weather and the sports on the local news and again nothing. and then I read this I think we Spags is safe I really do . It would take some kind of mega offer for snyder to lure him away . Because of all the hell he has created with his franchise plus the headed warnings from Giants Players. Reese will get the job done on Spags.

Bottom line, we need to be working on a long term plan with him. If we're lucky we'll get to keep him 1 more year. Mara/Tisch, Reese, T.C. and Spags need to have a sit down and and discuss both coaches' future in the orginization. Make Spags the highest paid cooridinator and at least garuntee him future head coach consideration. Also, I think someone else mentioned this, garuntee T.C. a future in the orginization, a front office job of some kind. e need stability, and right now Spags is the perfect "promote from within" candidate in the not so distant future.

As Spagnuolo, Redskins talk, Giants craft new deal

BY ARTHUR STAPLE AND BOB GLAUBER | 10:45 PM EST, February 6, 2008

Steve Spagnuolo spent all day and night interviewing with Redskins owner Daniel Snyder but as of late Wednesday night, the Giants defensive coordinator hadn't been won over.

A person familiar with Spagnuolo's thinking said it was "50-50 at best" that he would take the Redskins head-coaching position if offered after flying to suburban Washington, D.C., Tuesday afternoon, following the Giants victory parade and stadium rally. Spagnuolo reportedly met with Snyder and Redskins vice president Vinny Cerrato for nearly eight hours Tuesday night, stayed in a guest house on Snyder's property and resumed talks Wednesday morning that lasted well into the evening.

The Giants, meanwhile, have done their part to try and keep Spagnuolo at least for another season. A person familiar with the Giants' thinking said Wednesday that the team had a contract offer on the table should Spagnuolo leave Snyder's place without a deal. There were no numbers available, but the deal would reportedly make Spagnuolo one of the highest-paid defensive coordinators in the NFL.

The person added that there were 'no promises" in place for Spagnuolo, such as being named associate head coach or, as the Seahawks did with Jim Mora, Jr. Wednesday, any plans to have Spagnuolo take over for Tom Coughlin if the head coach decided to retire in the near future.

Coughlin is due a lucrative extension of his own with the Giants. His agent, Gary O'Hagan, said Wednesday that talks with the Giants had not yet begun.

Realistically, the Giants may only be looking to hang onto Spagnuolo for one more season. If his championship defense performs as well next season, when several more head coaching jobs should be available, the Giants are well aware he won't stick around.

According to the person familiar with Spagnuolo's thinking, as of Wednesday night he was not sold on the conditions that might restrict the Redskins' new coach. Snyder already has a nearly full coaching staff in place and the team is at least $17-million over the 2008 salary cap, by far the most cap-unfriendly team in the league heading into next month's free agency period.

Former Giants coach Jim Fassel is considered the other top candidate. A person familiar with the Redskins coaching search said Wednesday that even while Spagnuolo was in the midst of his lengthy interview process, Fassel was told to be "standing by." Fassel met with Snyder three times to talk about the job, and Snyder's decision to hire Jim Zorn as offensive coordinator and Greg Blache as defensive coordinator before naming a head coach signaled to some that Fassel, who's currently out of coaching, may have given his approval to the hires.

Former 49ers and Lions coach Steve Mariucci and Colts assistant Ron Meeks are reportedly still in the running, but Snyder has wanted to speak to Spagnuolo for a month, since Joe Gibbs retired.

This is very encouraging.

It is looking like he is playing Snyder to get the most he can out of the Giants, and quite frankly I have no problem after he coached the defense that dominated Tom Brady. And while I have been favoring giving him future-HC status now I can see how offering a lucrative DC contract to give him another year to prove himself would be wise if you can get that DC contract taken care of.

Either way if this defense plays like it did this year next season Spags would be a hot commodity. And if that happens then would be the time to say "Stick around we'll contract you as the future HC."

I don't see why this is news. Of course the Giants should have something on the table for Spags.. and ultimately we can hope he chooses to stay with Giants organization.. rather than going to work for Snyder.

I don't see why this is news. Of course the Giants should have something on the table for Spags.. and ultimately we can hope he chooses to stay with Giants organization.. rather than going to work for Snyder.

Gee, I dunno,...probably because we're NY Giants fans. <_<