SportsWrath

Your Giants-Cowboys Game story

Allstarjim

I went to a sportsbar close to where I live in the greater Washington D.C. area. It was really great. Almost the whole bar was united against the Cowboys. There was a table of about 10 or so Cowboy fans decked out in their gear. There was about a 15 or more Giants fans in their gear, and the rest were all Redskins' fans just rooting for the Cowboys to lose.

Throughout the game, all the big plays by the Giants returned deafening cheers. By the 4th quarter, the bar had turned into a soccer stadium. There were "Cowboys Suck" chants that could've been heard a couple of blocks away. When Giants were on defense, it was "Defense", and inbetween, "Let's Go Giants" chants. The electricity was palpable. It was unbelievable. I would've thought I was in a bar in New York. When Tony Romo let his final pass fly, the whole bar got quiet, you could hear a pin drop... And then McQuarters! When he caught that ball, it started a frenzy that lasted for 10 minutes. I was running around the bar hugging strangers, high-fiving all over the place... the bar was going NUTS! After the initial hysteria broke, the "Cowboys Suck" chants started again! Five minutes after the game ended, I looked back over to the "Cowboys' section" and only 3 had stuck around to eat crow. The smile and euphoria I had stayed for the rest of the night. I was getting all kinds of text messages and phone calls from friends like it was my birthday or something. But the greatest part about it all was all these people that were there just went absolutely ape-shit for the Giants. What a game, and what a fun time it was being there.

Anyone else got a good story?

I went to a sportsbar close to where I live in the greater Washington D.C. area. It was really great. Almost the whole bar was united against the Cowboys. There was a table of about 10 or so Cowboy fans decked out in their gear. There was about a 15 or more Giants fans in their gear, and the rest were all Redskins' fans just rooting for the Cowboys to lose.

Throughout the game, all the big plays by the Giants returned deafening cheers. By the 4th quarter, the bar had turned into a soccer stadium. There were "Cowboys Suck" chants that could've been heard a couple of blocks away. When Giants were on defense, it was "Defense", and inbetween, "Let's Go Giants" chants. The electricity was palpable. It was unbelievable. I would've thought I was in a bar in New York. When Tony Romo let his final pass fly, the whole bar got quiet, you could hear a pin drop... And then McQuarters! When he caught that ball, it started a frenzy that lasted for 10 minutes. I was running around the bar hugging strangers, high-fiving all over the place... the bar was going NUTS! After the initial hysteria broke, the "Cowboys Suck" chants started again! Five minutes after the game ended, I looked back over to the "Cowboys' section" and only 3 had stuck around to eat crow. The smile and euphoria I had stayed for the rest of the night. I was getting all kinds of text messages and phone calls from friends like it was my birthday or something. But the greatest part about it all was all these people that were there just went absolutely ape-shit for the Giants. What a game, and what a fun time it was being there.

Anyone else got a good story?

Not as good as that, but here was my night.

I watch all my Giant games for the last ten years with the same group of guys. It started out about 17 of us, and now is down to 9 due to people movin, etc. We used to have what we called MEADOWLANDS WEST, it was a Sports bar that we had our own private room in the back. We didnt get much flak from other patrons cause there were so many of us and we were tucked away in the back, but when that bar closed, we always had trouble, esp with Cowboy fans. Here in AZ they are all Bandwagoners or Gang members. So now, we all go to one of the guys house. Our kids are all older now and following ing our footsteps. Die hard Giant fans in the making. We did a potluck for the Dallas playoff game. Playoffs in HD. It was really great throughout the game, cause it was always pro Giants. No rival fans to deal with and meanwhile, one of my wishes is coming true, and its coming at the expense of my most hated rival. It was pretty quiet while that last pass was in the air too, seemed like an eternity. But when it got picked, the place went wild. A memory I'll have with my son forever.....good stuff. :)

Here's a shot of whats left of the crew:

000_0025.jpg

These are two of the future of Giant fans(My son in the red)

000_0026.jpg

To make a long story short, I don't go to bars to watch the game... I tend to get wayyyyy excited when things go well that I start running into people... and as the case one time... jump over the bar .. (I literally ran across a brick wall... I just got on top... and literally ran to the other end.. shocking everyone including myselfe... I believe it was a game against the eagles... probably the last game of the season when we qualified for the playoffs before losing to the 9ers..

When things go bad.. forget it...

So I watch from home... but one thing that stood out about this game.. I was standing the entire fourth quarter... usually after the game my closest friend ( a cowboy fan ) texts me to make a comment.. like "congratulations" last week.. this time it was silence.. I figured he was too upset and didn't contact him till later...

I was at my house, watching with my dog and chatting here on Sportswrath. In the start of the 3rd with Dallas driving, I said, "fuck this, I'm going to the bar."

Well, I got there, and there were about a dozen Giants fans out of about 18 at the bar. It was dead silence between plays... I never heard a bar so quiet... why they didn't turn the sound on is beyond me. Similar to the stories above, there was thunderous applause and yelling for every big Giants play, and lots of groans and eye rolling when they messed up.

On the Cowboys' final drive, you could hear the bar gasp... when the pass was intercepted, it erupted into chaos. I was reaching across the bar to give high fives, and there were shots all around... and of course, the rest of the night was filled with stories about how much we each hate T.O, Jerry Jones, and what our chances were vs. Green Bay.