SportsWrath

Pettitte declines option

so-cal dub

---link---

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Andy Pettitte declined his $16 million option to return to the New York Yankees, still uncertain whether he wants to pitch next season.

"I have spoken with Brian Cashman, who has reiterated what Hank Steinbrenner said about the Yankees wanting to give Andy all the time he needs to decide about next season," Pettitte's agent, Randy Hendricks, said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "Accordingly, we are declining to exercise the option for 2008 and Andy will declare free agency in order to free up a roster spot for the Yankees.

"If Andy decides to play, I am confident we can reach an agreement with the Yankees within 24 hours. The only options, as Andy has stated, are the Yankees or retirement. He appreciates the Yankees willingness to give him the time he feels he needs. I do not expect him to make a decision for quite some time."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Well, Santana anyone?

---link---

Well, Santana anyone?

Are you willing to give up Joba? If not then you are not getting Santana, maybe for Huges and Kennedy, but I suspect the Twins would demand nothing less than a package headlined by Chamberlain. My guess is Johan stays put and maybe gets traded next July.

Are you willing to give up Joba? If not then you are not getting Santana, maybe for Huges and Kennedy, but I suspect the Twins would demand nothing less than a package headlined by Chamberlain. My guess is Johan stays put and maybe gets traded next July.

Santana wont be traded, it was just a "Fuck, what now" post. I'm happy with our pitching staff as it is, I just hope Pettitte decides to play because of his veteran presence amongst the youngsters. We have Mussina, but I really dont want a handful of Musses.

I agree. thats why Ive been saying the mets have zero shot at santana. Just Hughes alone is better than any package the Mets could offer, not to mention the dozen other teams that have better prospects than the Mets and could offer better players than Pelfrey, Humber, Milledge and Gomez

I agree. thats why Ive been saying the mets have zero shot at santana. Just Hughes alone is better than any package the Mets could offer, not to mention the dozen other teams that have better prospects than the Mets and could offer better players than Pelfrey, Humber, Milledge and Gomez

Here is the thing though on that front. If the Twins lose Torii Hunter as we all suspect they will be in the market for a CFer. The Mets have three of them from the major league level on down to AA in Milledge, Gomez and Carlos Martinez. So yes they might not have the top tier arm to get Santana, but if the Twins are looking for a future young Cfer, they certainly have a few(particularly Martinez) where a deal can start with one of them and another young starter, possibly a Humber or Pelfrey.

Here is the thing though on that front. If the Twins lose Torii Hunter as we all suspect they will be in the market for a CFer. The Mets have three of them from the major league level on down to AA in Milledge, Gomez and Carlos Martinez. So yes they might not have the top tier arm to get Santana, but if the Twins are looking for a future young Cfer, they certainly have a few(particularly Martinez) where a deal can start with one of them and another young starter, possibly a Humber or Pelfrey.

But then the Red Sox could swoop in and offer them Coco Crisp and a young arm, like Lester (who they wouldn't need anymore if they got Santana), which the Mets couldn't do.

But then the Red Sox could swoop in and offer them Coco Crisp and a young arm, like Lester (who they wouldn't need anymore if they got Santana), which the Mets couldn't do.

I see your point on Lester, but Coco Crisp? He is garbage.

As for Lester, is he that much more attractive than say either Pelfrey or Humber?

I see your point on Lester, but Coco Crisp? He is garbage.

As for Lester, is he that much more attractive than say either Pelfrey or Humber?

Crisp has more trade value than Milledge, Gomez, and Martinez combined. Once Torri Hunter signs somewhere, he'll be seen as a much cheaper alternative to Andruw Jones. Sure, he doesn't have as much offensive potential as Jones, but Jones is gonna command a lot of money and that will scare off many teams. With Crisp, you know exactly what you're getting, and if he hits better, that's a bonus.

Lester is way more valuable than either of those guys. The guy just pitched the game of his life in the WS, he's a lefty, and he's very young but has shown great potential in his brief career.

Crisp has more trade value than Milledge, Gomez, and Martinez combined. Once Torri Hunter signs somewhere, he'll be seen as a much cheaper alternative to Andruw Jones. Sure, he doesn't have as much offensive potential as Jones, but Jones is gonna command a lot of money and that will scare off many teams. With Crisp, you know exactly what you're getting, and if he hits better, that's a bonus.

Lester is way more valuable than either of those guys. The guy just pitched the game of his life in the WS, he's a lefty, and he's very young but has shown great potential in his brief career.

WHy would Crisp who is already making millions of dollars be more attractive than say a guy like Gomez who is years younger and a long way away from arbitration, something that no doubt the small market Twins would be inclined to get.

WHy would Crisp who is already making millions of dollars be more attractive than say a guy like Gomez who is years younger and a long way away from arbitration, something that no doubt the small market Twins would be inclined to get.

Crisp made under 4 million dollars this year, and he's not due to make much more as far as I know. The difference is you already know Crisp is among the top 5 defensive outfielders in the game, and he has hit at the Major League level before. A lot of teams will assume he just couldn't hack it in Boston.

Crisp made under 4 million dollars this year, and he's not due to make much more as far as I know. The difference is you already know Crisp is among the top 5 defensive outfielders in the game, and he has hit at the Major League level before. A lot of teams will assume he just couldn't hack it in Boston.

I do not think its a performance thing with Crisp, I just think that the Twins, knowing they have to get Morneau and Mauer locked up to long term deals before free agency will want as many young players making peanuts as they can possibly have. IMO if I were Minny and needed a Cfer and was in talks with the Sox it would start with the young kid, not Crisp.

I do not think its a performance thing with Crisp, I just think that the Twins, knowing they have to get Morneau and Mauer locked up to long term deals before free agency will want as many young players making peanuts as they can possibly have. IMO if I were Minny and needed a Cfer and was in talks with the Sox it would start with the young kid, not Crisp.

If you wanted Ellsbury, that would be all you'd get out of the Red Sox, and even then I'm not sure they would do it. They already feel like they have strong starting pitching, so it's not like they need Santana. Ellsbury could be a very special player.

If you wanted Ellsbury, that would be all you'd get out of the Red Sox, and even then I'm not sure they would do it. They already feel like they have strong starting pitching, so it's not like they need Santana. Ellsbury could be a very special player.

The Twins would demand more than just him for Santana. Jacoby has great upside, but like most prospects at this point its upside and for a proven commodity such as Santana, it will take more than just 1 prospect with upside.

there are 5 millin center fielders on the market this offseason, why not just sign one instead of trading for one (with santana involved no less)

Because you're losing Santana after this year anyway, you're losing your CF, and Crisp comes cheap. Throw in a young, promising lefty and that's a better option than signing a free agent outfielder for 10 million a year.

Mind you, this trade hasn't even been discussed. I'm just saying that if the Mets were gonna offer Milledge and Pelfrey, the Red Sox could better that without even being creative.

Because you're losing Santana after this year anyway, you're losing your CF, and Crisp comes cheap. Throw in a young, promising lefty and that's a better option than signing a free agent outfielder for 10 million a year.

Mind you, this trade hasn't even been discussed. I'm just saying that if the Mets were gonna offer Milledge and Pelfrey, the Red Sox could better that without even being creative.

Crisp is cheap for your team, my team and any other team that would not want to EVEN think about getting rid of a guy like Santana, but Minnesota needs to replenish the players they lose with cheap, far from free agency young talent. With the new stadium they must keep Morneau and Mauer to satisfy a fan base that would get disgusted if those guys go. Its why they figure they have those 2, plus Liriano and whatever young, cheap(good) talent they get in return for Santana. Crisp is set to make 3.6 million next year. Thats a lot considering I believe that Santana in the last year of his deal is set to make about 5 million, before the big ticket of 2009 kicks in.

Crisp is cheap for your team, my team and any other team that would not want to EVEN think about getting rid of a guy like Santana, but Minnesota needs to replenish the players they lose with cheap, far from free agency young talent. With the new stadium they must keep Morneau and Mauer to satisfy a fan base that would get disgusted if those guys go. Its why they figure they have those 2, plus Liriano and whatever young, cheap(good) talent they get in return for Santana. Crisp is set to make 3.6 million next year. Thats a lot considering I believe that Santana in the last year of his deal is set to make about 5 million, before the big ticket of 2009 kicks in.

There's a huge difference, though. Santana is going to be demanding a boatload (20 mil a year?) when his contract is up at the end of this year. Crisp's salary will be pretty flat for the next three years. Hate to say it, but if you can't afford to pay your starting outfielders 4 million dollars a year, you should probably sell the team.

There's a huge difference, though. Santana is going to be demanding a boatload (20 mil a year?) when his contract is up at the end of this year. Crisp's salary will be pretty flat for the next three years. Hate to say it, but if you can't afford to pay your starting outfielders 4 million dollars a year, you should probably sell the team.

I would tend to agree, but it seems that they are going to try and lock up Mornea, Mauer, Cuddyer and Lirano like they did with Santana before he was free agent eligible and avoid the arbitration stuff. Under that scenario, sadly 4 million for an outfielder is probably more than they can afford when you factor in Nathan and guys like that as well.

i dont think all those cfs are gonna get 10 mil, if only 1 or 2 of them were available then yeah but the supply side is a little high this offseason and that doesn't benefit any of them. either way, expecting to fill that cf need with a trade for santana limits the number of trade offers and limits the amount or quality of trade prospects they'd get in return.