SportsWrath

Eli Manning

Lughead

The Blue Screen

« Manning to get a second opinion on shoulder | Main

Eli Cleared to Play this Week elihires.jpg

A second opinion on Eli Manning's injured right shoulder was the same as the first opinion: It's a sprained A-C joint and if he can tolerate the pain, he can play.

The Giants sent Manning's MRI to Dr. James Andrews -- a noted orthopedic surgeon who operates out of Birmingham, Alabama -- and he informed them today that he agreed with their initial diagnosis. He saw no structural damage in Manning's shoulder, and saw no reason to think he could damage it by playing this week.

So now it's up to Manning. If the pain in his shoulder decreases, or if he can tolerate it, he can play against the Green Bay Packers in the Giants' home opener. If not, he'll sit out and Jared Lorenzen will get the call.

The Giants are also convinced that even if Manning can't play this week, that he will definitely be ready to go in two weeks when they play the Redskins in Washington on Sept. 23.

My man, Willie Joe, is finished.

DT William Joseph, the Giants' 2003 first-round pick, was placed on injured reserve today with a back injury that first surfaced in the hours before the regular-season opener Sunday night. The Joseph move creates room for veteran DT Russell Davis, whom the Giants signed on Monday.

I was pretty sure, by the way, that the move would end Joseph's strange Giants career -- and it still might. But I thought that was a lock because when he was drafted in 2003, he signed a five-year, $6.95 million contract. That means his deal was due to expire after this season.

However, the NFLPA's Web site shows Joseph signed through 2009. I'm not exactly sure when his contract was extended, or why, but I'll try to find out.

The Giants also made a few practice squad moves: The Giants signed RB Quentin Smith and TE Jerome Collins, and cut G Matt Lentz and TE Jake Nordin. They also cut WR Marco Thomas yesterday, just three days after they signed him to the practice squad.

Posted by Ralph Vacchiano on September 11, 2007 5:12 PM

and Willie Joe's career with the Giants is possibly over. I posted this in the thread about the latest acquisition.

DT William Joseph, the Giants’ 2003 first-round pick, was placed on injured reserve today with a back injury that first surfaced in the hours before the regular-season opener Sunday night. The Joseph move creates room for veteran DT Russell Davis, whom the Giants signed on Monday.

I was pretty sure, by the way, that the move would end Joseph’s strange Giants career -- and it still might. But I thought that was a lock because when he was drafted in 2003, he signed a five-year, $6.95 million contract. That means his deal was due to expire after this season.

However, the NFLPA’s Web site shows Joseph signed through 2009. I’m not exactly sure when his contract was extended, or why, but I’ll try to find out.

I find it funny that even though he's been cleared to play, Mort is now saying that it's a Dislocation and a slight Separation and Eli's Week to Week. WTF?

On second thought, let them keep this crap up. It'll be that much sweeter when Eli goes out and throws another 4 TDs. :brooding:

I find it funny that even though he's been cleared to play, Mort is now saying that it's a Dislocation and a slight Separation and Eli's Week to Week. WTF?

On second thought, let them keep this crap up. It'll be that much sweeter when Eli goes out and throws another 4 TDs. :brooding:

He has to save face of course. He looks even more stupid with each comment he makes.

I would rather he heals up and sits out Green Bay then play through the pain and make things much worse. It's a long season and fucking up his shoulder to win against Green Bay (which the Giants should win anyway) isn't worth it. Rest up and beatdown the Redskins is a better deal.

I would rather he heals up and sits out Green Bay then play through the pain and make things much worse. It's a long season and fucking up his shoulder to win against Green Bay (which the Giants should win anyway) isn't worth it. Rest up and beatdown the Redskins is a better deal.

I agree, except JLoad scares me. I always thought if this moment came he could do the job. After seeing him play this preseason and that 1st game, I aint so sure any more.

With or without eli, that GB game scares me. If the middle of the field is open, I bet even Favre can have a field day. And this weekend is a must win game.

True, I hope Kiwi feels more comfortable in his new role, and I hope they find someone to play FS!!! :o

With or without eli, that GB game scares me. If the middle of the field is open, I bet even Favre can have a field day. And this weekend is a must win game.

I'd rather face Romo than Farve. Something about like 230 consecutive starts, 3 time

NFL MVP and a superbowl winner kinda scares me even if he has fallen off considerably

over the past 3-4 years.

I'd rather face Romo than Farve. Something about like 230 consecutive starts, 3 time

NFL MVP and a superbowl winner kinda scares me even if he has fallen off considerably

over the past 3-4 years.

Favre won't put up Romo's #s, but he's still good enough to make a 15 yard throw with no defenders within 15 yards of him.

ok he is CLEAR to play...which means the tough players dont even think twice about playing...

lets hope we dont have a little bitch as our QB...if Eli plays then alright we got a good QB for years...if he doesnt then that means our QB is a lil bitch who is soft and is a pussy