SportsWrath

THE YANKEES WIN?

BadEgg

I have to give the Yankees credit for salvaging something. The question now becomes can they salavage their season and return to Anaheim in October?

We will be waiting... :ph34r:

I have news for you Egg, the Angels could miss the playoffs. They only have a 2 game lead in the division and the Yankees are 1.5 back of the wild card..so If Seattle takes over the division, which they most likely will, the Angels will be have to contend for the wild card...and with that Angel bullpen theyre not going to be able to hold enough leads to win the WC. The Angls should be looking into getting some new golf clubs, cause just like last year, they will miss the playoffs once again

I have news for you Egg, the Angels could miss the playoffs. They only have a 2 game lead in the division and the Yankees are 1.5 back of the wild card..so If Seattle takes over the division, which they most likely will, the Angels will be have to contend for the wild card...and with that Angel bullpen theyre not going to be able to hold enough leads to win the WC. The Angls should be looking into getting some new golf clubs, cause just like last year, they will miss the playoffs once again

I don't know that you can conclude that the Mariners will most likely win the division and that the Angels would miss the WC. However, I will admit that Seattle is troublesome. There were many years in which a record like the Angels would give the AL West leader much more breathing room than this.

I don't know that you can conclude that the Mariners will most likely win the division and that the Angels would miss the WC. However, I will admit that Seattle is troublesome. There were many years in which a record like the Angels would give the AL West leader much more breathing room than this.

Yankees still have better competition with Boston. There's only 4 teams in the NL west.

MUCH, MUCH better. Its not even close. Oh, the Angels get the likes of the A's, who suck Texas..and Seattle until this year so, I dont see what his point was. That division is horrendous with only 4 teams.

MUCH, MUCH better. Its not even close. Oh, the Angels get the likes of the A's, who suck Texas..and Seattle until this year so, I dont see what his point was. That division is horrendous with only 4 teams.

The Best Division in Baseball

An Analysis of Major League wins and losses from 2003-2007

© James Hutchinson

Jul 9, 2007

An analysis of the records of Major League teams by division for the years 2003-2007.

One of the most contested opinions in baseball is which league, division and team is the best each year. In any year, fortunes rise and fall. In 2007, even the Yankees have fallen on hard times. An analysis of won/loss records shows that there is a consistent standard of excellence in baseball, and it is a bit of surprise.

Methodology

A compilation was made of won/loss records for the four and one half years 2003 to 2007 (through the all-star break) and totaled by division. This shows the relative strength of each division, since intradivisional games (games between teams in the division) will cancel each other out.

Each team played 19 games each year against division rivals. Since there are different numbers of teams in division, in a 162 game schedule, there will be from 67 to 105 games against non-division foes. The resulting measurement of games over .500 (GOF) demonstrates how well the division plays overall.

Results

The clear leader among the divisions is a surprise. The American League West is clearly the best division under these criteria with 113 GOF for the 4 ½ year period. It is the only division to have more wins than losses in each year.

The second best division was the National League West with 84 GOF, primarily to big years in 2003 and 2005, and consistent play in later years. The American League Central, considered a powerhouse division recently, suffers from the 119 loss season by Detroit in 2003.

The AL East, with the Yankees and Boston, shows up as also-rans, begging the question as to whether their records are the result of beating up on Tampa Bay and Baltimore, with little impact on rest of the major leagues.(right on, xxi...)

The AL West is the only division with four teams, but there seems little indication that this is a factor in its consistent performance.

The Best Division in Baseball

An Analysis of Major League wins and losses from 2003-2007

© James Hutchinson

Jul 9, 2007

An analysis of the records of Major League teams by division for the years 2003-2007.

One of the most contested opinions in baseball is which league, division and team is the best each year. In any year, fortunes rise and fall. In 2007, even the Yankees have fallen on hard times. An analysis of won/loss records shows that there is a consistent standard of excellence in baseball, and it is a bit of surprise.

Methodology

A compilation was made of won/loss records for the four and one half years 2003 to 2007 (through the all-star break) and totaled by division. This shows the relative strength of each division, since intradivisional games (games between teams in the division) will cancel each other out.

Each team played 19 games each year against division rivals. Since there are different numbers of teams in division, in a 162 game schedule, there will be from 67 to 105 games against non-division foes. The resulting measurement of games over .500 (GOF) demonstrates how well the division plays overall.

Results

The clear leader among the divisions is a surprise. The American League West is clearly the best division under these criteria with 113 GOF for the 4 ½ year period. It is the only division to have more wins than losses in each year.

The second best division was the National League West with 84 GOF, primarily to big years in 2003 and 2005, and consistent play in later years. The American League Central, considered a powerhouse division recently, suffers from the 119 loss season by Detroit in 2003.

The AL East, with the Yankees and Boston, shows up as also-rans, begging the question as to whether their records are the result of beating up on Tampa Bay and Baltimore, with little impact on rest of the major leagues.(right on, xxi...)

The AL West is the only division with four teams, but there seems little indication that this is a factor in its consistent performance.

Not to mention the A's have to deal with that jugernaut offense in Texas. :ph34r:

Yankees still have better competition with Boston. There's only 4 teams in the NL west.

ANd the rest of the AL west gets the Angels, a team as good or better(at least head to head and overall record wise) as the Red Sox or Yanks.

19 games with the Drays is easier than anything ANY team in the AL west, or all of baseball for that matter gets.

Stop overating the AL east, its top heavy, has been for years.

ANd the rest of the AL west gets the Angels, a team as good or better(at least head to head and overall record wise) as the Red Sox or Yanks.

19 games with the Drays is easier than anything ANY team in the AL west, or all of baseball for that matter gets.

Stop overating the AL east, its top heavy, has been for years.

There was a lot of hope for Toronto as another competitor but they got bit by some bad injury bugs and slumps. Still, there are the Red Sox, Yankees, near contender Blue Jays, the falling Orioles (who need to sign Teixeira), and Tampa Bay which is one of the best offenses with a staff that strikes out the most in baseball...there's just a little problem of **ahem** harnessing their stuff. Everyone has competed in the AL West...and the AL Central gets gipped because there are a couple of horrible Tiger and Royals seasons in there...although it doesn't help that the White Sox have nosedived this year. I dunno...I still think the AL Central with the Twins, Tigers, and Indians and the White Sox (who still have good players) is the best division.