SportsWrath

Just when you started thinking he was the "good cop."

fishgutmartyr

It just doesn't stop.

Strahan to hold out? Maybe...

Posted by Mike Garafolo July 20, 2007 5:47PM

Categories: Training Camp

I don't mean to ruin your weekend like this but we have a Giant elephant in the room that needs to be addressed.

By now, you've probably seen the report on Profootballtalk.com (which, btw, has done a tremendous job with the Michael Vick embarrassment, but I digress...) about DE Michael Strahan's possibly holding out of training camp. And you're probably waiting for someone like me to debunk it because, as a Giants fan, you know this is the last thing your team needs.

One problem: I can't. Nor can I enbunk it (or whatever). What I can tell you is this is a situation that bears watching over the early part of next week.

Andy Mills/The Star-LedgerPay this man. Come on, look how mad he is.

Strahan's camp isn't talking, nor are the Giants. General manager Jerry Reese declined comment through a spokesman on this one when I contacted him earlier today. Certainly, neither side is saying, "No way, Mike. Are you kidding me? That report is way off. He'll be there on time." Not that silence is an indication of anything but nobody's in a rush to make this one go away.

I've spoken to a few people who asked to remain nameless and through those conversations it's been made clear the Giants are aware of the possibility Strahan might hold out. But they didn't sound very worried and/or urgent to me. Not sure if they're calling Strahan's bluff or they know a little more they weren't willing to divulge but they made it sound like a holdout is unlikely at this point.

Here's what we know for sure: Strahan wants more money. He told the Giants as much when he and his agent met with the front office briefly in March. The team pretty much told him to get lost and indicated they won't be re-doing his deal. All seemed fine at the time when Strahan showed up for off-season workouts, minicamp and other Giants-related events. Plus, he told Giants.com earlier this month he was excited for the start of camp.

But the idea of a holdout has more than likely been kicked around. And I'm guessing that if Strahan hadn't missed half of two of the last three seasons to injury, he might be playing this one a bit more strongly. But frankly he doesn't have a foot or a pectoral muscle to stand on, so he's probably trying to resolve this one peacefully.

Oh, and then there's Reese's proclamation that he's looking to make this team younger and healthier. (Psst, Mike, you're neither.)

Still, you can't fault a guy who thinks he's still the best in the biz for wanting to be paid like Colts DE Dwight Freeney, who stands to pocket $30 million by February. And after that hefty divorce settlement, Strahan can use all the coin he can get.

One last point: For those of you questioning the validity of the PFT report, go back and take a look at how Mr. Florio's batting average has jumped in the last year or two. He's no longer running an unsubstantiated rumor mill. Methinks he's at least close on another one here -- though Strahan might show up in Albany on Friday as scheduled. (At which point he will definitely remind us all how poorly we do our jobs and that we just take any rumor and run with it.) No matter what happens, I think it's pretty clear there's at least a campfire behind this smoke.

At this point, I'd advise you Giants fans to try relaxing this weekend with a few cold ones and not to think about the Strahan situation. This is our last football-free weekend until that awful late-January Sunday between the conference championships and the Super Bowl. So take the time to tell your boyfriend/girlfriend, husband/wife or dog/dog that you love him/her/it and will be thinking of them when you're "stuck" watching every snap of every game and practice that is to come.

Then, on Monday, you may commence with the sweaty palms again as you worry about your team's best player. Until then, the first beer is on me. Except for you, joebob. You already outed yourself as being 16. Bad move, bro...

Wish I could give you more...Maybe next week...MG

Strahan lost touch with reality a long time ago. He's such a good player that you just wish he'd stop thinking and talking.

It's all Strahan bull so HE too can 'slide' his ass into broadcasting. Entertainment factor. A la Terry 'the goof' Bradshaw...

My guess is he will be there. I like this, let him go out and play his ass off this year and then ask for one more final payday(something like 2 years 20 million all guaranteed). He has no leg to stand on and thats great. Money is a great motivator, especially when some ugly ass bitch just took half yours. As for OSI, well Chief you just signed a deal in 2005, don't like it? Too bad.