SportsWrath

Yankees Set To Negotiate With A-Rod

Plow

The Yankees would be fools not to do everything in their power to keep him. Someone is going to pay him what he wants, so it might as well be the Yankees. They can afford to give him what he wants, and still be major players in the free agent market.

Now that Yankee fans finally realize what they have, they love him, and have to be salivating over the thought of A-Rod someday possibly breaking the HR record in a Yankee uniform, in a new Yankee Stadium, where he will become the first new "Yankee Stadium Legend".

Damn.. I think I've had this Yankee logo in my avatar too long. COME ON JULY 18th !!!! HURRY !!!!

Niiiiice, they will bend their own rules and negotiate with a player who is a Boras client and will do nothing more than jerk their chains until November(as all Boras clients do) and they refuse to talk deal with Post season icon(ironic huh) Mariano Rivera and All Star 3 WS catcher Jorge Posada.

I am sure this goes over real well with the boys in the lockeroom. :LMAO:

My question is this: Why would the Yankees make this announcement in the press? They risk pissing off Posada and Mariano, and they're letting it be known that they're willing to bend on a rule which, up until a couple of months ago, they proclaimed unbendable. Why wouldn't you quietly go to Boras and ARod and say, "Hey, let's work something out here." The only answer that makes sense to me is that they already have, they were rebuffed, and now they're in damage control mode. They're putting the ball back in Alex's court and trying to present the impression to the fans that they've done everything they can to keep him.

By the way, their proposal seems pretty ludicrous to me. As I understand it, they will only add onto the existing contract and not renegotiate for the years 2008-2010. Why would ARod do that? Isn't the whole point of opting out to get more money beginning next year, with more years added on after that?

The Yankees would be fools not to do everything in their power to keep him. Someone is going to pay him what he wants, so it might as well be the Yankees. They can afford to give him what he wants, and still be major players in the free agent market.

Now that Yankee fans finally realize what they have, they love him, and have to be salivating over the thought of A-Rod someday possibly breaking the HR record in a Yankee uniform, in a new Yankee Stadium, where he will become the first new "Yankee Stadium Legend".

Damn.. I think I've had this Yankee logo in my avatar too long. COME ON JULY 18th !!!! HURRY !!!!

The House That A-Rod Built!!

My question is this: Why would the Yankees make this announcement in the press? They risk pissing off Posada and Mariano, and they're letting it be known that they're willing to bend on a rule which, up until a couple of months ago, they proclaimed unbendable. Why wouldn't you quietly go to Boras and ARod and say, "Hey, let's work something out here." The only answer that makes sense to me is that they already have, they were rebuffed, and now they're in damage control mode. They're putting the ball back in Alex's court and trying to present the impression to the fans that they've done everything they can to keep him.

By the way, their proposal seems pretty ludicrous to me. As I understand it, they will only add onto the existing contract and not renegotiate for the years 2008-2010. Why would ARod do that? Isn't the whole point of opting out to get more money beginning next year, with more years added on after that?

I havent heard the specs, but by what youre saying, it seems if they add on to the exisiting contract, that would be more $$. It seems hard to do though, seeing as he gets paid a ton already. But if thyre adding to the existing, that is an increase, right? And maybe this is incentive to stay here for awhile and then in like 2010 or 2011, he signs a bigger, fatter contract. I dont know, I havent heard too much on it.

I havent heard the specs, but by what youre saying, it seems if they add on to the exisiting contract, that would be more $$. It seems hard to do though, seeing as he gets paid a ton already. But if thyre adding to the existing, that is an increase, right? And maybe this is incentive to stay here for awhile and then in like 2010 or 2011, he signs a bigger, fatter contract. I dont know, I havent heard too much on it.

Let's say he does what the Yanks wish- he keeps the contract as is and just adds years to it. That would meaen he'd make whatever the current contract says through 2010 (25 million per?), plus whatever they add on. Let's say they decided to add 5 years at 30 mil per year. Why would he do that when he could opt out at the end of the season and sign, say, an 8 year contract at 30 mil per year. That's an extra 15 million in his pocket when all is said and done. Of course, he won't be protected in that case against a career-ending injury this year, but I don't think he's too worried about that.

Regardless, Boras seems to be saying today that they have no intention of renegotiating during the season. I'm gonna guess that yesterday wasn't the first he and ARod heard about the Yankees' willingness to renegotiate.

I think he's already gone. Mickeef's scenario seems logical. This sounds cliche but I don't think its about the money. Name another superstar who is forced to field a different position and for most of the time bat 2ND! He's been taking it for too long and he wants to be the guy. That can happen in Anaheim or SF. (most probably, Anaheim)

i hope he does leave, maybe the ny media and yankee fans (the ones who booed him) would get over themselves and come back down to earth a little. i'd kill for a guy like a-rod, even with the season he had last year

I think he's already gone. Mickeef's scenario seems logical. This sounds cliche but I don't think its about the money. Name another superstar who is forced to field a different position and for most of the time bat 2ND! He's been taking it for too long and he wants to be the guy. That can happen in Anaheim or SF. (most probably, Anaheim)

Just to be clear, I'm not necessarily saying that ARod will definitely be gone. I don't think he has a desire, per se, to leave the Yankees. I just don't think he'll ultimately feel any loyalty to them. He'll go, of course, to the team that writes the biggest check after this season, just like all of these guys (especially the Boras ones) do. The Yankees may decide that, from a p.r. standpoint, they simply can't lose him. You know how George is. If I really had to choose, my guess would be that he'll remain a Yankee in the end.

the yanks cannot afford to lose him, where's their other rh power bat? they traded sheffield. and have you seen their lefties lately? their hands are tied, they're going to have to bite the bullet, accept the fact that they are going to lose that 27 mil from texas, and offer him the biggest contract once he opts out--otherwise they might as well let posada and rivera leave and start over, cuz the yanks aren't going anywhere with this lineup minus a-rod next season

the yanks cannot afford to lose him, where's their other rh power bat? they traded sheffield. and have you seen their lefties lately? their hands are tied, they're going to have to bite the bullet, accept the fact that they are going to lose that 27 mil from texas, and offer him the biggest contract once he opts out--otherwise they might as well let posada and rivera leave and start over, cuz the yanks aren't going anywhere with this lineup minus a-rod next season

Losing him would be absolutley devastating to them. The one thing I keep thinking about is the fact that they made this offer with the stipulation that the last three years of the contract stay the way they are now. Think about it- that makes no sense at all as far as he's concerned. But that's their way of protecting themselves in case he says, "Okay, let's talk." It also means, I wanna believe, that they're not planning on getting into a bidding war during the offseason and they're trying to show the fans they made an effort, however lame their proposal actually was.

Just to be clear, I'm not necessarily saying that ARod will definitely be gone. I don't think he has a desire, per se, to leave the Yankees. I just don't think he'll ultimately feel any loyalty to them. He'll go, of course, to the team that writes the biggest check after this season, just like all of these guys (especially the Boras ones) do. The Yankees may decide that, from a p.r. standpoint, they simply can't lose him. You know how George is. If I really had to choose, my guess would be that he'll remain a Yankee in the end.

i did no mean to infer that you said it. anyone who heard what he said about the angels and how much fun their players are having realize that this is his resume submission. again, they can't give him shortstop in NY. he'd be crazy to stay and subject himself to more head games. he'll get money wherever he goes. it's not an issue.

Losing him would be absolutley devastating to them. The one thing I keep thinking about is the fact that they made this offer with the stipulation that the last three years of the contract stay the way they are now. Think about it- that makes no sense at all as far as he's concerned. But that's their way of protecting themselves in case he says, "Okay, let's talk." It also means, I wanna believe, that they're not planning on getting into a bidding war during the offseason and they're trying to show the fans they made an effort, however lame their proposal actually was.

can't they give him like some kidn of upfront bonus to compensate for the next 3 years? the contract is backloaded anyway (i think) so i dont think he's making any less than 27 mil each of the next 3. give him a 10 mil bonus upfront or something to push those 3 first 3 years to a 30 mil average.

Losing him would be devastating. The only concern I have about Arod staying is i always thought he would be more comfortable and enjoy it better somewhere where is he is the centerpiece, not on a team that already has one. Nad as a Boras client, I too believe he will go for the $$.