SportsWrath

Getting to the playoffs two consecutive years

mickeef2

1996 he did. :ph34r::P

Have a good night, bud. And don't respond point by point, I've already killed the quotes! :LMAO:

i know, im kind of intimidated, but as soon as i get all this crap out of the way im going to attempt to respond to most of the post. according to wikipedia, though, capers won in 1996

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Coach_of_the_Year_Award

i know, im kind of intimidated, but as soon as i get all this crap out of the way im going to attempt to respond to most of the post. according to wikipedia, though, capers won in 1996

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Coach_of_the_Year_Award

That's wierd, because wikipedia also is where I got Coughlin won it in '96. Methinks we found an error.

OK, this link explains the mystery.UPI gave out and AFC/NFC award until it discontinued it in 1997--There was also a Sporting News award. Coughlin won the AFC award. See, they were giving them out like candy! :lol:

(The guy in the picture is Dick Van Patten. I forgot you were a young'un.)

i know it's literally the same guy, i was speaking about him as a player. he wasn't good here, he had 35 receptions in 3 years

I don't know if that means he wasn't good though--that might be because Toomer and Hilliard kept him as #3 WR, or the mighty Danny Kannell just wasn't able to get him the ball that often. I mean, the very next year after going to Cleveland, he caught over 30 passes: IMO that means that the problem was the way we were using him, rather than he just suddenly had an epiphany about how to catch the ball.

It's funny that Dan Reeves gets brought up in this debate. In actuality we can make a case that Reeves is a better head coach then either Fassel or Coughlin. he meets the SB criteria(because in this arguement it does not seem to matter about winning one or winning a conference championship in a far inferior conference as Reeves did in the 80's with the Broncos), he meets the coach of the year arguement. Reeves also had to contend with the Cowboys in their heyday, a team that the 97,00, 02, 05 06 etc Giants would not even take a sniff at.

I for one wanted Reeves gone after the 5-11 and 6-10 seasons he had in his last 2, but if you look at the Giants drafts of 94 and 95, where in 94 we picked the immortal Thomas Lewis #1, followed by the likes of Thomas Randolph, Gary Downs(did get Bratzke and Sehorn) and in 95 we choose Wheatley #1 followed by such Giants greats as Scott Gragg, Rodney Young, Rob Zatcheka, Roderik Mullen, Jamal Duff and Bryne Diehl(yes folks afront ffice actually missed on THAT MANY PICKS IN 1 YEAR). You take this god awful scouting into it all, combined with the awful cap situation we were in and you can see how Reeves failed. These facts actually give Fassel more credence in terms of how bad the Giants had drafted in the years prior to his arrival(although the 96 and 97 drafts were better).

I think Reeves was actually a pretty decent coach and what this franchise needed after the 2 horrible Handley years.

It's funny that Dan Reeves gets brought up in this debate. In actuality we can make a case that Reeves is a better head coach then either Fassel or Coughlin. he meets the SB criteria(because in this arguement it does not seem to matter about winning one or winning a conference championship in a far inferior conference as Reeves did in the 80's with the Broncos), he meets the coach of the year arguement. Reeves also had to contend with the Cowboys in their heyday, a team that the 97,00, 02, 05 06 etc Giants would not even take a sniff at.

I for one wanted Reeves gone after the 5-11 and 6-10 seasons he had in his last 2, but if you look at the Giants drafts of 94 and 95, where in 94 we picked the immortal Thomas Lewis #1, followed by the likes of Thomas Randolph, Gary Downs(did get Bratzke and Sehorn) and in 95 we choose Wheatley #1 followed by such Giants greats as Scott Gragg, Rodney Young, Rob Zatcheka, Roderik Mullen, Jamal Duff and Bryne Diehl(yes folks afront ffice actually missed on THAT MANY PICKS IN 1 YEAR). You take this god awful scouting into it all, combined with the awful cap situation we were in and you can see how Reeves failed. These facts actually give Fassel more credence in terms of how bad the Giants had drafted in the years prior to his arrival(although the 96 and 97 drafts were better).

I think Reeves was actually a pretty decent coach and what this franchise needed after the 2 horrible Handley years.

Ahhhh....Scottus Graggus....common name "The Original Human False Start". Self applied nickname of Lurch (as in "You Raaaang") fits rather nicely. :rolleyes: FA really hit the Giants for a loop...between that and the two strikes; the Giants qualify as the most unprepared and inept front office for a playoff caliber team ever to exist. What a horrible cast of characters. :doh: