SportsWrath

My Rangers Wishes.

Virginia Giant

Ok, here is what I want from the Rangers. i don't think we are far off from winning, but we do need help.

1: Sign Zito. Whatever it takes, priobly 6 years 90 million, but give it to him. We need a dominating lefty and he has an excellent track record in Arlington.

2: Re-sign Padilla. He'll be an outstanding #3 and has prooved he is effective in the Ballpark.

That'd leave us with an excellent top end rotation and we have alot of potential to fill the lther 2 spots. DONE

3: Sign Kenny Lofton. Our corner OF sports should be good with Wilkerson, Catalontto and Nelson Cruz. We can sign lofton to a few years hopefully and groom a young CF. DONE. Signed 1 year deal

4: Sign Mike Piazza. He'll be a DH with us, but he could also be an emergency C or just give Laird a break. He'd be perfect between Tex and Hank. Signed with A's

5: If we could trade Teixeira and a minor league pitcher (Danks, Diamond or Volquez) for manny, we should. Wilkerson or Cat couild play CF is neccessary.

Haha

UPDATE

Rangers resign Padilla

Although it l;ooks like Piazza is going to Oakland.

12/04/2006 9:55 PM ET

Rangers come to terms with Padilla

Right-hander agrees to three-year contract, option for fourth

By T.R. Sullivan / MLB.com

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- The Rangers, on the first full day of the Winter Meetings, have reached an agreement with pitcher Vicente Padilla on a new contract.

Padilla has agreed to a three-year, $33 million contract with an option for a fourth year at $12 million. The agreement is pending a physical.

General manager Jon Daniels is not ready to announce the deal until the physical is done but said, "We've been talking for months, and we're getting more comfortable that we can work things out."

Padilla -- who was 15-10 with a 4.50 ERA in 200 innings last season after being acquired from the Philadelphia Phillies -- and Barry Zito are the Rangers' top two pitching targets. Zito visited Dallas last week, but Daniels and Zito's agent, Scott Boras, haven't met here.

"I'm sure we'll meet, but we don't have anything set up yet," Daniels said.

Daniels made it clear that re-signing Padilla will not keep the Rangers from continuing their pursuit of Zito.

"We're looking for two starters," he said. "Getting that first domino to fall -- whether it's Vinnie or somebody else -- is big. That will give us the framework for some of the other things that we might be able to do."

The Rangers are hoping that Zito, Padilla and Kevin Millwood will head a rotation that will also include Robinson Tejeda and one other pitcher from within the organization.

The Rangers also had interest in left-hander Ted Lilly, but he appears to be close to signing with the Chicago Cubs. The New York Mets seem to be the biggest competition for Zito, but all indications are that the Rangers will go after him hard. They also believe he's sincere in his interest in coming to Texas.

"I think he'll like the hot weather," manager Ron Washington said. "I think he'll like the makeup of the club, and I think he'll like the manager. Every organization would like to have him. and we'd like to have him."

Zito has a reputation for being a fly-ball pitcher, and that doesn't always play well at Ameriquest Field in Arlington. But he has a career record of 11-1 with a 3.75 ERA in 15 starts there.

winter meetings

Complete coverage >

"He makes pitches when he has to make pitches," Washington said. "That's what good pitchers do. That's what he's been taught his entire career. I don't think where he pitches makes a difference."

The Rangers had strong interest in free-agent catcher Mike Piazza as a designated hitter, but it appears that he could get a two-year, $15 million deal with the Oakland Athletics. The Rangers will likely hold off pursuing any other significant offensive candidates until they get their starting pitching sorted out.

"We're focusing our resources on our rotation," Daniels said.

The Rangers have talked trade with other teams and have touched base with the Baltimore Orioles, Arizona Diamondbacks and Atlanta Braves, among others. The Orioles are trying to move right-hander Rodrigo Lopez, and the Braves are willing to talk about Tim Hudson and Horacio Ramirez.

The Diamondbacks have some good young pitchers who are close to being Major League-ready, and the Rangers have interest in right-handers Dustin Nippert and Micah Owings, among others.

The Mets and Phillies are among the teams that have asked about the Rangers' bullpen depth.

"We're popular among teams looking for relief help," Daniels said. "There could be a fit there in the next day or two."

The most desirable names appear to be closer Akinori Otsuka and left-hander C.J. Wilson, but Daniels made it clear that the Rangers aren't interested in trading either one. They would be more willing to talk about some of their other right-handers, including Rick Bauer, Wes Littleton, Frank Francisco and Scott Feldman.

Otsuka led the Rangers with 32 saves. The Rangers have a number of relievers who could end up being a closer, including Josh Rupe and Nick Masset, but they aren't ready to give up Otsuka right now.

"We've been hit on him because he's controllable, affordable and successful," Daniels said. "But we've told clubs that we're not looking to move him."

Daniels said that the Rangers have also been exploring their options in center field. If they can get both Zito and Padilla, they may settle for an internal option -- either Freddy Guzman or Nelson Cruz. Kenny Lofton and Jay Payton are the two most likely free-agent candidates.

T.R. Sullivan is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Wow that is a lot of money for a pitcher who has yet to prove himself.

Not realloy considering the contracts this year. I was expecting him to get at the very least 40 mil from someone. He did prove himself, he was consistant this past year and pklayed well. he proved he is tough and can overcome. I'me extatic we could resign him.

Wow that is a lot of money for a pitcher who has yet to prove himself.

Yah, I was actually considering that a bargain all things considered.

Here's what Joe Sheehan of Baseball Prospectus says about the Rangers:

They keep acting like a team that's close, but I don't see it. Too many question marks, too many defensive issues, too many starting-pitching prospects who never become starting pitchers. If they took a year off from trying so hard, put some gloves behind the young arms and didn't worry about winning the West, they might be better off on the other side.

Yah, I was actually considering that a bargain all things considered.

Here's what Joe Sheehan of Baseball Prospectus says about the Rangers:

They keep acting like a team that's close, but I don't see it. Too many question marks, too many defensive issues, too many starting-pitching prospects who never become starting pitchers. If they took a year off from trying so hard, put some gloves behind the young arms and didn't worry about winning the West, they might be better off on the other side.

No offense Lorf, but that guy sounds like a true dumbass. He;s bitching about our D? I mean, our D was pretty good.

1B: Tex won a gold glove

2B: Kinsler as a rookie playing an unnatural position for him did pretty good, when he was hurt we had Dero who was excellent at 2B. (Kinsler was a SS unbtill his last seasson in the kmonors.

3B: Hank was/is an above average fielding thirdbaseman, thats only going to improve with Washinington.

SS: Mike Young, no explanation needed.

LF: Wilkerson was awesome inb LF fielding, he made killer plays when he was there.

CF: Mathewsd: Cmon, dude was a human highlight reel

RF: Dero spent alot of time there when Kinsler came back, and did great. this year we'll have Cruz whi is pretty damned good.

C: Barajas and Laird, both good catchers.

We lost Dero, but we gained Cat. Our D is good, i dunno what that guy is saying there. As fdor our young pitching, sounds like he is mistaking the NFL for MLB where drafted players come in after 1 year and become stars. We have a ton of minor league and very young major league pitching talent. Thats the worst team annalysis I've ever seen.

No offense Lorf, but that guy sounds like a true dumbass. He;s bitching about our D? I mean, our D was pretty good.

1B: Tex won a gold glove

2B: Kinsler as a rookie playing an unnatural position for him did pretty good, when he was hurt we had Dero who was excellent at 2B. (Kinsler was a SS unbtill his last seasson in the kmonors.

3B: Hank was/is an above average fielding thirdbaseman, thats only going to improve with Washinington.

SS: Mike Young, no explanation needed.

LF: Wilkerson was awesome inb LF fielding, he made killer plays when he was there.

CF: Mathewsd: Cmon, dude was a human highlight reel

RF: Dero spent alot of time there when Kinsler came back, and did great. this year we'll have Cruz whi is pretty damned good.

C: Barajas and Laird, both good catchers.

We lost Dero, but we gained Cat. Our D is good, i dunno what that guy is saying there. As fdor our young pitching, sounds like he is mistaking the NFL for MLB where drafted players come in after 1 year and become stars. We have a ton of minor league and very young major league pitching talent. Thats the worst team annalysis I've ever seen.

Oh, I just threw that in there, it isn't my opinion. I think that the Rangers are a good team and even better with the resigning of Padilla. Their rotation won't be strong enough with the signing of a number one starter so Zito is a must, considering the Rangers don't have any interest in Schmidt as far as I know of. You haven't tackled your biggest problem yet and that's pitching.

A lot depends on some of your key hitters recovering from their regressions in 2006. Blalock, Teixeira (the first half version), and Wilkerson have to all step it up. Blalock actually regressed by 10% in FPCT last year which goes along with his regression as a whole...but we know what he is capable of and he still has a good arm. As for Michael Young, you've heard the arguments...the same guys who argue that Jeter isn't a good fielder. I dunno what to think about any of the teams until the offseason is over. It's hard to make judgements until that magical day when pitchers and catchers report.

Sizing up the AL West as is though, the Rangers would still lag in pitching but probably lead in hitting. A lot depends on who signs Piazza. The Angels still have no hitting but amazing pitching, especially in the bullpen. The A's are the A's of course. And the Mariners...well, I'd want to see King Felix regain his crown just for the sake of baseball. Can't wait until baseball season.

Ok, here is what I want from the Rangers. i don't think we are far off from winning, but we do need help.

1: Sign Zito. Whatever it takes, priobly 6 years 90 million, but give it to him. We need a dominating lefty and he has an excellent track record in Arlington.

2: Re-sign Padilla. He'll be an outstanding #3 and has prooved he is effective in the Ballpark. That'd leave us with an excellent top end rotation and we have alot of potential to fill the lther 2 spots.

3: Sign Kenny Lofton. Our corner OF sports should be good with Wilkerson, Catalontto and Nelson Cruz. We can sign lofton to a few years hopefully and groom a young CF.

4: Sign Mike Piazza. He'll be a DH with us, but he could also be an emergency C or just give Laird a break. He'd be perfect between Tex and Hank.

5: If we could trade Teixeira and a minor league pitcher (Danks, Diamond or Volquez) for manny, we should. Wilkerson or Cat couild play CF is neccessary.

mainly because Lofton somehow ends up in the world series every year

Oh, I just threw that in there, it isn't my opinion. I think that the Rangers are a good team and even better with the resigning of Padilla. Their rotation won't be strong enough with the signing of a number one starter so Zito is a must, considering the Rangers don't have any interest in Schmidt as far as I know of. You haven't tackled your biggest problem yet and that's pitching.

A lot depends on some of your key hitters recovering from their regressions in 2006. Blalock, Teixeira (the first half version), and Wilkerson have to all step it up. Blalock actually regressed by 10% in FPCT last year which goes along with his regression as a whole...but we know what he is capable of and he still has a good arm. As for Michael Young, you've heard the arguments...the same guys who argue that Jeter isn't a good fielder. I dunno what to think about any of the teams until the offseason is over. It's hard to make judgements until that magical day when pitchers and catchers report.

Sizing up the AL West as is though, the Rangers would still lag in pitching but probably lead in hitting. A lot depends on who signs Piazza. The Angels still have no hitting but amazing pitching, especially in the bullpen. The A's are the A's of course. And the Mariners...well, I'd want to see King Felix regain his crown just for the sake of baseball. Can't wait until baseball season.

Hank and Wilkerson were both battling shioulder problems all year, I think they'll come back strong. I dunno what was with Tex last year, the first half he did nothing then he exploded after the break.

Looks like alot of competition for Piazza, specifically from the A's.

IF, we can sign Zito, we'll have a true #1, an excellent #2 in Millwood and a great # 3 in Padilla. The 4th spot will go to Robinson Tejada, he was wild but showed alot of promise last season. Wehave a variety of places to go for the 5th spot, lots of young arms like Koronka and Rheineker.

This is a good one VG

Minaya met with Rangers officials yesterday, and the sides discussed the Mets acquiring reliever Akinori Otsuka, multiple sources told the Daily News. Texas asked for 2005 first-round pick Mike Pelfrey in early discussions, but Minaya is believed to have indicated neither he nor '04 first-round pick Philip Humber is available. The starting-pitching-starved Rangers were apparently willing to consider a swap that includes Brian Bannister and John Maine, but that price was too high.

Otsuka, 34, went 2-4 with a 2.11 ERA and 32 saves in 63 appearances for Texas in 2006, after he arrived from the Padres with Adam Eaton last winter for Adrian Gonzalez, Terrmel Sledge and Chris Young.

From the NY Post. lol I would give up Bannister but you cannot give up a starter when you don't have many right now. What a steal you guys would have had if Omar said yes.

This is a good one VG

From the NY Post. lol I would give up Bannister but you cannot give up a starter when you don't have many right now. What a steal you guys would have had if Omar said yes.

I heard they didn't wanna deal Otsuka right now, we have a few potential closers in the pen but not sure we should rely on an unproven guy just yet.

i heard hicks is prepared to offer 6 years 102 mil

Heard the same, thats about $12 million more than I thought it would take, but at this point they gotta do what it takes.

This is a good one VG

I'll give up Bannister for a guy like Burgos every time. :TU:

Hopefully he's not another version of Armando Benitez and Jorge Julio.

Looks like the Rangers chickened out first... the Mets stood alone for 5 minutes until the Giants got in the mix.

I still think the Rangers will go closer to what Zito/Boras wants than anyone else. We'll go 6 years and i still think we'll go 100 million if it takes that. I think Hicks wants to be leary of driving the price up for another team.

Rosenthal says the Rangers are out on the run for Piazza meaning that he'll probably end up with the A's.

Yeah, it was a longshot but he'l be with the A's next season.

Rangers Sign Gagne

For that price, unless you get some groundbreaking deal for Otsuka, it isn't worth it, VG> We were unwilling to go past 5 or 6...but 8 million? Wow.

Correction, updated 11 minutes ago by Rosenthal: The deal, which likely is pending a physical, is expected to include approximately $5 million in appearance incentives, bringing the possible total to $11 million, major-league sources said.

But still...I'd like to pay a healthy guy that much, but Gagne right now...in Texas?