SportsWrath

Yanks win rights to Japanese pitcher Igawa

njsmalls

Following the MLB All-Stars tour of Japan, Mets 3B David Wright offered a tepid review of Igawa in Newsday, noting that Igawa threw, “an average to above-average fastball, an above-average changeup, and his slider was a little flat.”.

Which is exactly why we went after him.

Why, because the Yankees need another mediocre pitcher to add to their already mediocre rotation? I'm not holding out too much hope this coming season. Not until the get somethings straight. At least they have exhibited restraint this off-season

i hear the yanks can get him for 4 years 16 mil, and the 25 mil they posted doens't go against the luxury tax. 4 mil for a 4th or 5th lefty starter while guys like eaton are getting 8 mil? good move by the yanks, the market is ridiculous right now

I don't know why you guys are worrying so much. You still have a dominating offense and an incredible bullpen. The starting rotation is obviously the problem...but teams of the Yankees' offensive caliber have competed with bad rotations before. I expect the Yankee rotation to improve somewhat more than just Igawa.

I don't know why you guys are worrying so much. You still have a dominating offense and an incredible bullpen. The starting rotation is obviously the problem...but teams of the Yankees' offensive caliber have competed with bad rotations before. I expect the Yankee rotation to improve somewhat more than just Igawa.

Good pitching beats good hitting. See the Yankees playoffs since 2001.

The only incredible thing about the bullpen is Mo.

I still don't see why there were no outcries of the Yankees overspending when they gave Igawa's team half of what Matsuzaka's team got despite the fact that Igawa is less than half the player. Everyone has him pegged as a back of the rotation starter and even the Yankees aren't sure how they'll use him. But honestly, 26 million is barely less than the 30 million initially expected for Matsuzaka, which at the beginning, was considered outrageous.

And a note on the Red Sox signing Hideki Okajima, "By the way, the Yankees supposedly also made an offer to Okajima that actually included more money than the Sox offer, but were turned down because Okajima preferred Boston, thinking that the Sox wanted him more because they placed the first offer."